“Best Budget Holiday in Boracay”

Dave's Straw Hat Inn
Ranked #10 of 147 Hotels in Boracay
Darwin, Australia
“Best Budget Holiday in Boracay”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stay at Dave's from Nov 6-10, Yes we were there during Typhoon Yolanda !
Janet & her team looked after us very well & I just want to say THANK YOU to ALL the staff at Dave's for taking care of me & my Fiancee during the Typhoon & afterwards !!
Our cottage was great & well sheltered during the storm we were well protected. The backup generator worked well but had to be rationed during the day until fuel supplies could be re-established.
They arranged our transfer back to Kalibo the following Sunday without any hassles.
Thanks so much Janet & all the staff at Dave's Straw hat - we'll be back again next year (no typhoon hopefully) !!! lol.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I choose the place coz of it's pretty reviews tru trip advisor. And when I called, I said to myself this is the place! :) hearing the person on the other end made my decision. A nice person named ging. When I arrived at the place? Wow! :) relaxing quite and nice people. Only 2 mins walk to the beach. You can find a lot of cheap foods around if ur on a budget. Cheap drinks too!! Just don't buy at the restaurant. U can get beer less than $1.50 a bottle. :) room is big with all that u need on a nice beach holiday! Thanks to all staff who made my stay a great experience

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Prague
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I booked the whole November and was really looking forward to enjoy my trip. Unfortunately had to cancel due to health problems. Janet was very helpful with cancellation and partial refund, replying fast and really trying to help me solve the situation. I want to give it another try ASAP. Thx again!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2013

A little back from the beach and a 10min walk from the night life of boracay station 2 makes Dave's a little isolated but in-turn is enjoyable as it is very peaceful. Our room was always kept very clean, definitely value for money. We recommend staying here and definitely recommend the mixed fruit pancake!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank EmmaWillisSt
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed October 14, 2013

is a very quiet place conserving the habitat, full of trees, clean and the food is amazing, i stayed for three nights, i was easy to go anywhere from the hotel, you can find any type of attractions, restaurants, bars, the beach is just incredible there, i cant wait to go back and of course, i will stay in the same hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank guido_giraldo
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stronly recommend it and will be back again, hopefully very soon!
We couldn't have asked for a better way to finish our adventure in the Philippines! After 2 weeks travelling around, we were looking for a nice, quiet place in Boracay, near the beach and close to the city centre. Finding Dave Strauss Hat Inn was the perfect final touch during our stay in Boracay and certainly made it unforgettable! First of all, the place is just great! a small, cosy oasis in party island Boracay! 2 minutes from the white sand beach, and 10 minutes to the heart of the city, which was perfect since it allowed us to enjoy a calm, empty white sand beach while still walking easily to town when we wanted to! The staff was incredily friendly (like philippinos in general) and helped us plan our stay there by offering us a wide range of activities and taking care of the booking! It made our stay even more relaxing!

Thank you again Dave Strauss! See you soon!

• Stayed October 2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The rooms are clean and nice but the property is not on the beach. Its about two blocks back. The hotel is an older property and very hippie. I like hippie. The hotel is is section 3 of the beach which is very quite during low season. That can be a pro during the day, but when walking home at night it is very dark, quite and isolated. I don't think a single woman would feel comfortable. A group of women might not feel comfortable as well. I paid about 40 a night. The staff seems friendly at first, but not really.

I visited during off season so there were plenty of hotels available. During peak season you have to take what you can get. If this were the only hotel doing peak season I would recommend it. I stayed at this hotel because it was ranked so highly. After checking in I walked to the beach, and saw numerous really nice hotels on the beach. Eventually I walked in and asked how much. they were asking for about 45 a night. I wont mention the names because I don't want it to seem like I am advertising for another hotel. The hotels on the beach were nicer and directly on the beach. Here is the catch. The hotels advertise price were $100 or more a night on their websites. However because it was low season and many empty rooms especially in zone 3, there were willing to take $45 a night.

So in order to get a good deal on a beach hotel in zone 3 during low season don't book a room just walk into any to the hotels on the beach. I think you should check the hotel booking sites and if you see a lot of availability take your chance. If there isn't a lot of availability book a room.

After looking at my hotel and at the hotels on the beach for the same price I would have preferred to stay on the beach. The beach hotel rooms that I saw were nicer. If I had to pay 100 or more a night it might not be worth it, but when prices are the same go for the beach.

The staff seemed friendly, but when I asked for a late check (2 hours late) they all gave me numerous different story as to why I they couldn't give me a late checkout. One person said the room was booked for the night, but when I inquired if I could stay another night I was told yes that the room was available. Another staff member told me if I wanted to do a late check out I would have to pay for another night. I offered to pay for the two hours that was rejected. Another staff person told me some other story I can't remember.

I checked out at 12. Before I checked out I asked if there was a place I could shower and use the bathroom after check out. I was told yes. When I got back I found out the shower is an outdoor shower next to a room where many people can see you. As a guy I did not mind, but a girl might find this unacceptable. When I got back at 2 pm the room had not been cleaned and nobody checked in.

I wouldn't stay here during low season because you can get better hotels on the beach for the same price. I also don't like that the staff lied, and I don't like the location. In low season take your chance and walk around to get the best deal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo