“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Filipino
Manila, Philippines
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

It's not the same as the one we had in Cebu. The kare kare was disappointing. The laing was not tasty. The soup was too salty. I ate here twice during my trip and the it's just really not the same. And the fire dance was great but after awhile the smell of kerosene was too much. Not a good experience.

• Korean first
Manila, Philippines
“Standard delicious food at boracay!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Very delicous food and not so expensive... Authentic Filipino dishes at its best! A must try when in boracay...

“Thank God they have this at Boracay”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Great meal as always. I'm very glad they have a branch in Boracay. We ordered the heavenly garlicy baked scallops, the unmissable inihaw and sago at gulaman. yum! Forget about my bikini body!

• Visited June 2013
Dubai
“Finally an honest restaurant in Boracay!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

One of my biggest gripes about Boracay is that, for the most part, its dining scene is marked by irrationally expensive yet mediocre, and oftentimes pretentious restaurants. It's one of those places in the world where they rip you off AND feed you blah food. Most people are probably distracts by the magnificent view but, as a frequent visitor to the island since the 1990s, I'm not as forgiving. And since my parents moved to the island a few years ago, where to eat out has become a small chore in itself... Until this year.

Golden Cowrie Native Restaurant is an established brand from Cebu but, for the first time I think it found a great location that fits its menu, right at the beach side in front of the new Uptown Boracay building (you wonder if there even such a thing as uptown/downtown on this island, right?)

It tends to disappear among the row of restaurants so you have to look closely. Decor-wise, there's nothing outstanding. But the food is leagues above its neighbors price and quality wise.

We were a party of 3 and we ordered the banana blossom salad, imbao (a type of clam) soup, and battered fried eggplant. The salad was a perfect balance to the eggplant,which was well seasoned and had an extra crunch thanks to a coating of panko crumbs.

For mains, we ordered the roasted pork belly and escabeche fish (a type of sweet sour sauce but more gingery). The belly was moist and very flavorful, which meant that it was well brined for several hours. The skin was evenly crisp.

The escabeche was the best I've ever had. The fish fillets were coated in a light batter and deep fried to crunchy perfection. Then they were lightly covered in a sweet and sour sauce. Often times this dish would have the fillets swimming in sauce, which overpowers the flavor of the fish.

Our total bill for this feast? Roughly 350PHP per person! Our eyes nearly popped out of our head when I saw the bill since we expected it to be twice that.

Great value for money....

Service was great. If there was anything I'd nitpick, it would be the music. The solo acoustic guitar singer's lineup gave a depressive mood to the dinner.

• Visited July 2013