“Friendly staff, professional service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of DiveGurus Boracay Beach Resort

DiveGurus Boracay Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 217 Boracay B&B and Inns
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Friendly staff, professional service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was in Boracay for a few days and stayed elsewhere for lodging. But because I was recently PADI certified, I wanted to do a few underwater dives while there for experience, and I found DiveGurus on PADI.com's website.

Before arriving in Boracay, I was exchanging emails with one of the staff members, Ga, to ask about dive prices, rental gear, and dive locations. Ga was very helpful and responsive in communication, and this made dive planning with DiveGurus very easy and convenient.

When I arrived in Boracay, I went to DiveGurus that afternoon for my 1st dive. The staff there was very friendly and full of hospitality. While waiting, I was served complementary coffee on the house, and they helped me out with the rental gear. After dive preparation, I went with divemaster Raymond to the boat dock area to go to the dive site. Raymond is a well-trained dive master who was willing to give newly-certified dives good challenges for experience. On the 2nd dive, I've experienced drift diving, real-time scenario of using buddy's alternate regulator (due to low pressure), and manual inflation of BCD after ascent. Raymond logged this in my dive book to keep a record of the experience, and informed that the experience is good to have, especially if I go for advanced PADI certification. After the dives, they provide you with the use of fresh water sinks for your equipment and showers/change rooms. This place provides you with everything you need for your dives. If I return to Boracay and do additional scuba dives, I'll be sure to return to this place.

If you're looking for a reputable, professional dive resort in Boracay with helpful and friendly staff and can provide you with anything you need for your dives, look for DiveGurus!

Room Tip: I cannot rate the rooms as I did not stay there, and went there to do day dives. However, the staff...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NL246

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We found this hotel via Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. It is about 10 min ride away from the pier on a tricycle. It is more like a guesthouse, a bit in the back yard, but the main Dive Center is located on the main street on White beach. The rooms are clean and pleasant, especially since they were newly added to the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, and you can learn all about tours on the island and even book one offered in-house. We booked a private snorkeling tour, which i'd recommend over group tours. Overall it was a pleasant stay and a good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Piñas, Rizal, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Dive Gurus is a just a last minute replacement from the original resort we're looking into. Actually, I've checked several, but a few days before our trip, my husband mentioned he would like to go diving. Again, I checked the internet booking site for hotels. When I've inquired with this general site, I was told that the family room is not available for our dates. Not one who easily gives up without exhausting all resources, I decided to go directly from them. I usually don't do this as booking with accredited travel agencies are cheaper as they have TA rates given by resorts. But lo and behold, the rates I found was just P100 more expensive than the booking site, with free breakfast to boot. I was hoping against hope that we will be accommodated but I was also told that the family room is already booked, and that our only option is to book 2 separate rooms. Unfortunately, our budget just won't fit.

This is it. I was disappointed but ready to move on and to book with our second choice. However, I don't know what compelled me to check my email once more and I was surprised to see a new mail from the ever reliable General Manager Mylen "Ga" Arboleda informing me that the family room has just been made available. Praise God! It took us two years to push thru with this trip and everything is falling into places! I asked how to go about paying downpayment to secure the room, and I was told I have the option to just pay upon check out since we have additionals like transfers and my husband's diving session. Imagine that! If you're going to arrange transfers and fees through some resorts and agencies, that would be between PhP500-700 one way coming from Kalibo Interntional Airport. But Dive Gurus made reservations with Island Star Express for only PhP200 per way, they even paid it in advance (I don't think they even earned commission on that)! And with the Caticlan Pier Terminal fee of PhP100, environmental fee of PhP75 and pump boat of Php25, that would only total to PhP400.00. That's a saving of Php100 each, and if you're travelling as a group like we are, that is already a lot! PLUS, they have one of their staff meet us at Cagban jetty. Although they don't have a resort shuttle, riding the tricycle is quite a breeze.

Now, on to the resort. If you're expecting to see a big resort with all the works, then Dive Gurus is not for you. They're just a small establishment but big in everything! They're located at Station 3, beach front and far from the madding crowd of Stations 1 and 2 but within walking distance to D'Mall and other interesting places. If you're not very fond of walking, then you might find going to the center of Boracay daunting, but hey, with pristine beach and crystal clear water, I don't really care walking back and forth. Besides, taking tricycles all the time is very expensive.

Our room is big, and housekeeping cleans it everyday. The aircon is very silent and they have cable TV, although I got dizzy in looking for familiar channels. The list is outdated, I think. And the breakfast! Ah, the breakfast. Did I already mention it's FREE? Every morning, one of their staff will ask you your preference, they have Continental, Filipino and American. Me, my husband and son always choose the Filipino with either beef tapa, longganisa or corned beef. My daughter just likes to have bread and bacon. Their servings are big and if you have a small stomach like mine, you'll last even until dinner time. Their fresh mango shake is heavenly, very sweet, and no asim factor. And you get to eat in their second floor dining area overlooking the beach. However, the view are obstructed by their windbreaker and since this is a diving point, all the motorboats are anchored here late afternoon until mid morning, but that's just a small sacrifice well-worth your stay.

My husband enjoyed his diving immensely! He was accompanied by Dive Master Jojo Arboleda (oh, by the way, all of their staff are able divers). Their rate for leisure diving is PhP1600, standard rate for PADI in Boracay, and since he is already certified and has his own equiments, he was given additional discount. They went to a wreck called Camia II which is, if you stretched your imagination, could eerily be Titanic. But that is his own adventure. Maybe, I'll twist his arm so he'll write his own review. We also have some fun activities while there but that's another story.

So, to all the staff of Dive Gurus - GM Ga Arboleda, DM Jojo Arboleda, DM Raymond Gubaton, DM Nanie; the lovely ladies of front desk Dhes, Venis and Joy; the rest of the ever-smiling personnel Mel, Julie-Ann, Lisa, Dinabeth, Jun F., Ronic, Benjie, Hapon, JR and Doday - thank you, thank you, thank you very much from the bottom of our hearts. You have made our 4-day stay truly memorable. We're looking forward to another visit soon. God bless you all!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rgl_94
Singapore City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Located at white beach, station 3. Beach is just downstairs and we can hear the soothing waves at night. Great location if you want a quiet & peaceful sleep cause the shops at station 1-2 can be rather noisy. About a 15 mins walk to D-mall (where shops & food stalls are located) or you can take a tricycle for just 60pesos. We also took a tricycle to Bullabog beach where most activities was located at.

Pros: Friendly and helpful staffs, free breakfast, clean room, white beach just downstairs.
Cons: Toilet is small and old, bed is too soft

Overall, the white beach, price and excellent service easily offsets most of their shortcomings and made it a wonderful stay at Dive Gurus!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

'Ive just the last few months traveling and diving all around the Philippines and I have to admit that my favorite accommodation and Dive shop is Dive Gurus in Boracay - its actually my second stay with them and as my previous stay, everything was superb!
Great venue with very upmarket clean comfortable rooms, they have a perfect location to get on and off their dive boat , with all the dive sites closely located with great Instructors and guides for all you diving adventures.
They have the best sunsets you have ever seen located in the quieter stretch of the beautiful White beach station 3 away from the chaos of station 1 but still within walking distance.
Amazing staff from the Dive crew to the resort team, they have fabulous western and local food at a reasonable price with a nice balcony to enjoy your meals on while watching the ocean and boats go by.
A BIGG thanks to Ga, Jojo, Raymond, Ditas, Lisa, June, Ronny and the rest of the Team,
Until next time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BrandonsOutDiving
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband, my daughter, and I, finally got to visit Boracay for the first time. We booked our stay at DiveGurus on the first week of April (more than a month before our actual trip), after sifting through so many resort websites, blogs, and reviews. Because of past experiences, we decided to set lower expectations than might be elicited from the comments and the pictures we found online. Well, were we surprised when we got there. Not only were the staff as pleasant and friendly as others had described, they were extremely efficient! And one can feel that such pleasantry and friendliness were genuine---we couldn't help but smile all the time we were there. We were wowed by the room---clean and beautiful; and housekeeping was awesome. The food was great; we looked forward to the yummy breakfast every morning we were there. DiveGurus is definitely the place to go to should you visit Boracay. We would especially like to thank Ga for the hospitality and assistance; you're the best! I'm a hundred percent sure that the next time we get the chance to go back, we won't have to spend hours looking for the perfect place to stay, because DiveGurus is it! It's a home away from from home. More power to you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank ippita_5
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

My Husband and I stayed with Dive Gurus to complete our open water Padi certification and enjoyed both our stay and instruction immensely—we even extended our stay a little with them we had so much fun.

The location was amazing, right on the beach, a little way out of the bustle which was good for us and ideally located to get on the dive boat which was pretty critical when you have a tank on your back:)

The dive equipment was great, the instruction was amazing, (thanks Edwin) the support boat guys were fantastic and the dives themselves were out of this world. My husband and I both really enjoyed the calm and efficient way that we learned to scuba and left feeling ready for the next experience.

The accommodations and resort side was also very nice, nothing extravagant, but simple, clean and comfortable. There was a great dining area upstairs and the food was very yummy. We also enjoyed after scuba drinks in the onsite bar, recapping the dives and hearing gnarly stories was fun and after diving in many other places, a rarely great atmosphere that wasn't often repeated.

The stars of this place were the staff. The ladies on the front desk were so helpful, The dive master and instructors we accomplished patient and funny and we were even very lucky to receive assistance from an owners wife while we were there who helped us navigate the next portions of our trip and make great recommendations. They even continued to support us with necessary documents after we had left.

This place was great- thanks guys, we'll be boring everyone to death with stories about you for ages!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple