“Lorenzo South is excellent”

Hotel Isla Boracay-South
Ranked #116 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed December 23, 2007

If you are looking for a quiet, romantic hotel on Boracay, Lorenzo South is perfect. It is far enough away from the crowds on White Beach and close enough to get anywhere on the island. If you don't mind walking, it is close enough to walk to White Beach or just grab a tricycle to get you where you are going. You can just relax on the beach without all the vendors bothering you. The staff at Lorenzo is very friendly and helpful. They have a full time security guard to make sure you are not bothered. You can also make any arrangements for dining, sailing, boating or diving right at the front desk to avoid haggling. The room was immaculate and the view was incredible. Breakfast on the beach is excellent. I highly reccommend Lorenzo South.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank NYradioflyer

Reviewed August 16, 2007

Lorenzo South looked very impressive on the homepage, so much so that I didn't listen to the advice of friends who know the area, who said it was too far and Friday's was much better...They were right.

Upon arrival, we were presented with shell necklaces, good start.
The room was okay, however the bathroom didn't smell too great, possibly a problem with the drains.
The air condtioner worked well, but it made a terrible noise at night.

The view from the room was good, very close to the beach.

The beach itself was stoney with pebbles as you enter the sea, and the waves were quite big. In contrast Fridays' beach, it had no pebbles and the waves were further out to sea. (Staff at Fridays were bemused when I told them where we were staying!)

The staff were generally friendly, if coming across a bit grumpy in the morning.

I agree with the other reviewer, at night the long walk to the main drag is not well lit near Lorenzo

All in all, Lorenzo South is not a bad place to stay, however if you don't like long walks and stoney beaches, don't stay here, go to Fridays.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JonahEurope
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Location can be a double edged sword! If you are the type of person that doesn't like to be around other people then this one's for you. It's just about as far as you can get from civilization and still be on the beach. In fact I walked south about as far as could without getting soaked and I think that I only passed one or two other resorts which were nearly abandoned. I might also point out that this is the "shady" side of the island (and not because it doesn't get any sun).

I'm not a giant guy, but I'm no twig either. So I felt pretty comfortable walking through most of the beach areas at night...except the southern end where Lorenzo South is located. At a certain point the lighted walking path, which serves as a major conduit for foot and bike traffic, terminates and you are forced to walk on a narrow stretch of dark beach to get to this hotel. At high tide the beach disappears too I might add. Don't be surprised to see various man made objects washed up on the beach when your passing by either. Secluded? Yes. Creepy? Sometimes.

The resort itself is pretty nice, particularly the outdoor seating area and the beach. The rooms were not bad, not great. Note that there is no hot water and no pool. Some say that hot water is not necessary on a tropical island but I sure could have used it at times when it was dark and rainy outside. Also, my particular room was above the restaurant so it was loud and had a couple of roaches (what beach community doesn't?).

All of this would have been more bearable if I had gotten a decent rate. I went to Boracay during the low season so I was prepared for the weather but I wasn't prepared for the gouging that I got. I originally booked this resort through an online travel agency for about $60 USD a night but they wouldn't accept credit cards over the phone or internet so my reservation expired. I emailed my reservation to the resort directly and asked them if they could honor it. They agreed. What I didn't notice is that they had attached an amendment to the price, which was DOUBLE the original price. When I got there and figured out that they had pulled one over on me it was too late. They refused to negotiate even though I had recently booked the exact same thing for 1/2 price with an agent. And the worst thing was that the place was mostly vacant! I was really PO.

I had already been warned by other people that you need to book your rooms in advance on this island because everyone knows that you are stuck there and they will take you to the cleaners. I also saw several people going door-to-door trying to get a decent rate and they didn't look happy. So I swallowed my pride and took the raw deal that I was given. I'm still bummed though because if I had known how much I was in for I could have made reservations for a similar price at several other places that were more centrally located with more people around to socialize with. None of the resorts were even close to being sold out. There were vacancies everywhere!

On a positive note, the staff at Lorenzo South was great. They were friendly and helpful without being pushy. The view was killer. The massage was fantastic. The TV actually had a good selection (during downpour). The guests were from all different corners of the world, which was cool. And finally, it was quite peaceful at the resort.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank WesternerView
Reviewed May 31, 2007

Wonderful resort. The rooms are right on the beautiful beach.
Friendly staff, good food, in a quiet and safe area. Great swimming right outside your door. My wife loved her massage at the spa, and I couldn't keep my daughter off of the beach or out of the water. There is no pool, and you don't need one here.
The resort is set on the south end of White Beach away from the "party" area but close enough to walk there.

I highly reccomend Lorenzo South for couples or families.
We are returning in January 2008 for 2 weeks.

I am posting some pictures.

Cheers.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Guwapo
Reviewed May 11, 2007

Having just returned from 6 wonderful days in Borocay, staying at the Lorenzo South on White Beach and l mean on the beach , we only had to step out of our room onto the sand and a few steps and we were in the crystal clear waters. This hotel was a perfect choice thanks to Tripadvisor, so peaceful , hotel and staff were wonderful nothing was to much trouble,delighted in the lunchtime bbq of that mornings catch.Exactly the place to relax in, a must if you could drag yourself off your sunbed was a trip on Sonic Stinker a catarmaran owned by Joseph to be found just a few steps south of the hotel , a truely great expert on how to handly a boat and he gave me and my husband a great trip round Borocay Island on a rather choppy day and great on the information side too!! We are already planning our next trip to this island.
There was only one disappointment , you can no longer catch a boat to Boat Stations 1,2, and 3 l had really liked the idea of having to jump off my boat into the water to get to the hotel, everybody now has to go through the one station at Cagban, then catch motorbike transport to your hotel , must say that was great fun though.

3  Thank THACKERSShekouChina
Reviewed May 8, 2007

i know it's been 2 years since we stayed there but all our visitors who came to our honeymoon from london had a really good time and still are talking about it! they were impressed with how all the staff were to us all, the location and the very reasonable price. the rooms were not that bad although it could do with some updating but that was all the probs really. the staff were very polite and accommodating and very nice and polite. the location was excellent as it was quite away from the centre of the resort so it was nice and peaceful, just right for our honeymoon stay. the food was very good and the breakfast was very satisfying. all our english guests were impressed especially my husband's aunt. she couldn't believe the beach was just a stone's throw away from her room........we'll definitely will come back and stay again at this hotel. shame we didn't have time to tour boracay again when we came for a holiday last january. it will be on our itinerary this pasko. well done to all the staff.........

• Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank beth1420
Reviewed April 2, 2007

If you are looking for peace and tranquility with the ability to get to the night life when you want then Lorenzo South is the place to stay. We were met at the airport and transfered to the hotel to find paradice we were given the option of the ground floor beach front room or second floor premium room (201) which we took. The room overlooked the bay and was clean and spacsious we were a party of 2 adults and 1 child. The bathroom was a very good size witha bath and large shower. The service from everybody in the hotel was second to none friendlyand helpful. In all a very good hotel in a very good spot with excellent service.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family