“A Not so Good Fridays”

Marilao Bulacan
“A Not so Good Fridays”
Reviewed September 13, 2006

What we like:

-- Without batting an eyelash, the Premier Room is magnificent, and undisputably first-class.
-- Very private. Since situated in station one, you won't see much locals straying around nor offering you to buy something.
-- It was cool to welcome us with shell necklaces and welcome drink.
-- The sand are powdery fine and shining white.
-- Masseurs are excellently trained.

What we did not like:
Okay, here I go ...

-- First, I wasn't happy that they put us in the topmost room, considering we have a 2.5yo little tyke with us. So we have to battle like 30-40 steps just to reach our room, great isn't it? Well, of course I understand that Premier rooms are on the highest, but there are rooms on a lower-level, that could have lessen our gravity effort. Well, we were too tired and hungry then to object, we just shrug-off. But I won't miss mentioning it here, duh?!!
-- Since Premier Rooms are also newly built, the stairs going up there, are still rough, meaning, they are done yet. There are no available side handrails to hold on, coz like I said, it wasn't finish, and take note also that the steps are steep. And since we have a hyper kid who is use in hopping on the stairs, I then prevented him to do that and continuously reminding him to "be extra careful" when using that stair, coz he might hurt his skin or worst fall.
-- There is an ongoing construction just beside our room, a new hotel is improvising. And since we are on the topmost part and very near them, we became an instant boob-tube. The construction workers are watching every move we make, so we make sure to always close the windows of the room facing them. And obviously, construction is tantamount to "noise", so you could just imagine.
-- The room is like a modern nipa hut. When we moved to Fridays', I was suffering a hang-over from our night out. When the roomboy turned-on the air-con, I smell the nipa right away, and my gosh, I felt more dizzy. I was so thankful that the moment we went back from the beach on sundown, the smell is no longer there.
-- There were two bathrobes for adults, so I called the frontdesk if they also have a robe for my son, they told me none. So okay, we have clothes to press, I then again asked the frontdesk if they have an iron, they answered that they have an ironing service for a cost. I was dumbfounded, coz we travel a lot, and been to many hotels. And an iron sometimes with ironing board, and bathrobes not only for parents but for kids are being offered by some hotels. And why can't we not enjoy those small conveniences in Fridays, for asmuch as the penny we shell-out to them???!!! Heck, a $144 for a night stay, is I think, more than enough for an iron and a robe!
-- Me and my husband were trying to straighten up the reclined beachbed, we then asked a crew in uniform. "-?" (Can you straight this thing up?), he then replied with "Oo" (Yes) with a blank face, and fixed it. Did we hear him wrong? He omitted or forgotten to address us cordially as "Mam" and "Sir"? I was pissed-off that when that guy was walking away, I loud-voiced to my husband "-?" (No Sir or Mam?). My husband was also running mad. You know why? We despise ill-services! We paid to be served, and not otherwise!
-- We ordered a pizza for lunch. On dinner, I phoned the room service to re-heat the pizza. And then somebody came to get the pizza. I then re-phoned them to make an order, but the pizza was still in theirs. And then our orders arrived with the heated pizza. Thereupon, the room boy asked me "-?" (Are you gonna ask me no more? Just to do it one shot.) Great! Is he trying to tell me that he is getting tired to mount that 30-40steps high stair? And was asked him to go up and down twice? Are they not aware that the food we just ordered are 10x costly against the regular price? And 100x ladder steps are definitely included in what we paid! Hmp!
-- They do have LAN port, in fact several ports, about 5, but do they have a LAN cable to access the internet? None! Asked them why, the room are newly built and internet wasn't available yet for customer's use. Nice noh?! I confronted them, why then did you offer this room for occupancy? She told me, there are wifi access in beachfronts and restaurant. Hello??? Are we not on the highest floor and with a kid, to easily go up and down? We ended up not to using the net.
-- And to wrap it up, on our last day, the morning before we left, cable channels were totally cut-off, so nothing to watch on the television. To our dismay, Fridays fell short our expectations. I sent-forth all our dissatisfactions to one of the receptionists, and she felt sorry about the whole stuff, yet still, the damage has been done, and they certainly gave us no reason to go back.

My two cents worth!

• Liked — The room are tastefully done
  • Disliked — Service is ill, like in cheap motels
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay on this hotel, they do not know how to please the visitors and besides very expensive
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14 Thank joanalcaraz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 20, 2006

I really struggled whether or not to give Fridays 3 or 4 stars. I decided to go for 3 in the end as my personal experience was 3.5 stars but I can imagine others who go there and experience something better. That said, it is a lovely resort and I know that given the other glowing reviews, this will not put anyone off staying there.
My main reason for rating it lower than 4 was that I was disappointed with the room. I had booked a Premier room and specifically requested one of the new ones. However, we were put in an older room which was ok but not what I was expecting. The room is large but the bathroom was pretty shabby and the room in general looked tired. This would have been fine but I felt cheated that there were other people paying the same amount for a glorious brand new room with enormous bathroom & bathtub with a sea view. From what I could gather, the difference between staying in an old Premier room and a Deluxe room was a slightly bigger bed, chocolates and a tea/coffee maker.

Also, noise was quite a problem during my week long stay. Fridays had kindly told me that there was building occuring next door to the resort so I was anticipating this. At no fault to Fridays, it was pretty noisy with a lot of drilling & hammering (from 8am to 9pm). I had asked whether there would be any internal building work going on at the same time and informed that there wouldn't be. But this was not the case, there seemed to be a number of rooms undergoing renovation work with a lot of hammering etc. As I had not been told about the internal building work, I again felt a little disappointed.

That said, Fridays is a beautiful resort and having wandered into some of the other hotels, I rate it the best on the island. The staff are extremely courteous and go out of the way to make you feel at home. The pool is a nice size and there is a good recreational area with table tennis & pool. The activities are great and that stretch of beach is breathtakingly beautiful. You are also only a 15 minute walk away from all the action. The food is great, we had a delicious breakfasts and dinners including the great Friday buffet.

I definitely recommend a stay at Fridays but if you're looking for a beautiful room, be sure to request one of the new Premier rooms. It will be great when the building work next door is completed too!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room was a bit shabby
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a new Premier room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
17 Thank Tartan69
Gidea Park, Essex
Reviewed June 20, 2006

Boracay is a beautiful hedonistic island beach resort about an hour's flight from Manila. We stayed at a couple of hotels while we there - booking early at this resort is a must - so we had to split our stay. Friday's hotel offers an oasis of pleasure: thatched cottages, sweetly furnished, with huge canopied comfortable beds; private verandas hung with hammocks - from which you stepped right out onto the raked sand each morning; a beautiful tranquil pool; great open-air restaurant; white umbrellas and comfy beach beds set on an exquisite white powdery soft sand over a torquoise sea. Heavenly; all just a short boat ride away from the hubbly-bubbly Borocay downtown, with its multitude of ethnic restaurants - where you can dine on the beach, watch the sunset and party into the night.

Borocay's a beach wrap and flip-flops resort - designer casual is the word and it is all so enjoyable. For real luxury a visit to the Mandala spa is recommended - their namesake massage begins with a flower-petal strewn footbath and following a nap in the beautifully tranquil open air pavillion, lulled by the breeze that gently wafts the white curtains around your bed the whole experience ends with a cup of hot jasmine tea served in the tea house overlooking the pool. Don't be late in arriving - it will cut into your nap time!

Sunday is the day to visit Nami's hotel for a Champagne Brunch. Tucked into the curve of the cliffline, this friendly designer hotel has the most wonderful views from the open air dining platform - and the food is excellent.

15 Thank Elaine Holmes
Haarlem, Netherlands
Reviewed June 20, 2006

Fridays is one of the best resorts on the island. Last June we visited the place again and found the same friendly admosphere as before. The reason I will go back again is that I enjoy the rest and I don t have to move because everything is available. Nice bar. Perfect restaurant and on friday a super buffet. All at reasonable price. Staff is friendly and always helpful.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank jonik213
Reviewed June 8, 2006

Back in Paradise, and feeling home, so I feel each time, when I return to FRIDAY's on Boracay. For me it's the third time, that I come to Boracay and all the times I have stayed at Friday's. I went with some good friends and they all agree, this is paradise. Friday's has its own pick up from Caticlan, when you arive at the airport and bring you by boat to the beach resort. When you arrive on the beach, some ladies of the staff are waiting for you and give you a drink and put shells round your neck. Friday's resort is quiet oasis and situated just outsite the busy area of the restaurants, bars and disco's. To the village you can make a nice walk along the beach or just take a tricycle. The incredible white beach is most beautiful and most wide in front of this resort. In front of the village the beach is much narrow and crowded. They had built since my stay in 2005, 6 new rooms and I can say, although I did travel a lot round the world, that I never have had such a large room. The very luxury bathroom is larger, then most hotel rooms I've been and the rooms are very nice decorated. I think that the quality of the food in the restaurant, is the best in Boracay with a very good and friendly service and also the reception staff is very, very friendly and they want to help you with everything you ask them. And also this time, when the small boat was bringing me back to Caticlan for my flight to Manila and back to Holland, I had the feeling, that I was leaving paradise. I certainly come back to this place next year!!

• Stayed March 2006
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2006

We loved out stay at Fridays. We arrived two days after a typhoon hit the island. By the third day of our stay the waves had settled and White beach was pristine once more. The Hotel is on the best stretch of White Beach without a doubt. It is also in a quiet location although there is construction happening next door. We had a Premier Room and stayed 7 nights. The room was lovely and quite romantic. The grounds are pristine and the staff efficient and friendly. I would definitely come back to Fridays as we weren't ready to leave. Go you will love it!!!!! Christine & Darrel from Windang Australia

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 24, 2006

My wife and I had the best stay ever in Boracay. This was are 2nd visit to the Island and it was great. The people at Fridays Resort were all so nice. The room we had was beautiful and spacious. The food and entertainment was great too. We will be back to this little bit of paradise again soon. My only negative was that the bed was to hard.

• Stayed May 2006