“Refreshing Experience at POP”

Pearl of the Pacific Boracay Resort & Spa
Ranked #141 of 152 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed January 13, 2011

This is my first time to write a review of a hotel. I found a good reason to write a review because of the big improvement of POP since I stayed there last March.

My wife & I stayed at Pearl of the Pacific last December 2-6, 2010. I must say, from the time that I checked-in until I left, I didn't have a bad experience. From the start, I knew there was something different with the hotel, especially since they hired a new head who has a wide experience managing hotels in Manila. The head, and all the staff, were very accomodating. They even gave us an upgrade because I had a medical condition which made it hard for me to walk all the way to the hillside.

When we entered the room, they gave us complimentary drinks & fresh fruit platter. Although it may not be a big deal, but getting something you don't expect feels good.

The room (poolside) was great. It wasn't new but the TV was flat screen, split-type aircon and had a DVD player. Although the faucet and shower knobs need changing, generally, the bathroom was okay.

The only opportunity I saw is the food they serve, particularly their breakfast. It was just normal and not served hot.

Overall, I can honestly say that I saw a very big improvement with the way things are run in the hotel. Kudos to the owners, the management team and the staff. I hope you will continue with the improvements so that we'll have a more enriching experience in Pearl of the Pacific because we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2010

Reviewed November 30, 2010

I always make it a point to check out TripAdvisor of all the hotels before i placed my booking, but this time round i did not, i really regretted. 'Cos i was kinda like 'duped' by my holiday time-share consultant that this is an 'awesome' resort with tons of queue from members, and i was lucky enough to be able to book 'cos another members cancelled last minute. Good for them!

Do not believe any of their brochures or websites. Once our tricycle transport reached the resort entrance, we know it instantly we made a mistake, in our mind we were thinking, 'Gosh, we are going to be there for 7 nights!". Not even a single signboard or painting at the reception wall, the whole lobby is terrible, run down, the only plus point is its furniture which look quite modern.

The miserable small pool beside the lobby, oh forget it, we didnt even take a second look at it, let alone dip in it. Lift was not working, meaning we been climbing the mountain of steps everyday thru and back our unit. Looking around the resort, it is obvious that the resort is going through renovation, so we tried to be more understanding about the down side, but heard from the locals that the resort has been renovating since 15 years ago and is 'still renovating'! Asked the front desk about the view for our unit, she replied 'ocean view', and actual view was nothing but their deserted abandoned long ago renovation site that has no progress! Every night when we passed by the resturant at dinner time, it was either empty or with at most one table. So we did not dine too as well, seriously wonder how they survive for so long.

Here comes the room;- run down, blinds cannot be drawn, smelly and flat pillow, stained bedsheets and towels that never failed to have obvious yellowish dots, dirty wardrobe that we din even put a single piece of clothing inside, bathroom without a single shelf to put toiletries! There are no string device in the shower room to hang wet clothing, they need to be reminded that this is a beach resort?

Here comes the service, boiling of water from the tap water is not recommended there so we need to request for hot water flask for our hot drinks. Flask will not arrive but only about 30 minutes, that is a norm, and if we do not call up to remind them after 20mins, it will not even come! Hot water is not even hot enough to even make a cup of instant noodles.

There is no 'Please Do Not Disturb + Make Up the Room' tag at the door although the hotel guidebook said there are, so we have to pray that they notice we went out for the day and do room servicing for us. Shower gel, shampoo are not refilled daily. Thoughout our the 7 nights there, not a single day was our unit vaccumed or swept, how do we know? Cos there are some insect dust/sand everyday on the floor, on top of the bar fridge, bed, u name it.. they are all around the place! Crap place! Flower on the table has not been changed even once thoughout the stay, left it to wither and for us to clear it. I even saw big spider and lizards in the room in the middle of the night!

Here is the utimate! There is no water supply at least 4 times throughout the stay, once I was halfway through shower. So after that, we learnt out lesson and stored up water as backup in the huge drinking bottles we have used. Oh my! We are not living in a budget hotel, ok? Everyday, the power supply will be cut off, yes... no aircon in the middle of the night when we are sleeping! Gosh! Called the front desk, they always say 'ok, we will check'.

At one glance, the photos we took of the resort/unit look pretty decent, that is 'cos we only take photos of all the angles with the flaws! A crap place, stay away! The small lodge which is cheaper at the busting beach front is way better than this!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 4trip1year
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I will NEVER use ASIA.COM ever again for not informing me what a dump the Pearl of the Pacific is. Don't believe their website!!.And don't believe the hotel's website. They have no rooms on the beach. Every room in the hotel is across a street behind the beach front facade which houses their restaurant, bar and filthy spa. The place is a run down dump and all the negative reviews on Tripadvisor are true. I wish I had seen the reviews before ASIA.COM locked me into a 30 business day no refund deal. I would have cancelled the booking for sure. It is criminal that they make the claims they do and use the photos they do for this filthy dirty hotel. Boracay is beautiful and I will go back but I will never use Asia.com to book a trip ever again and I won't stay at that dump Pearl of the PACIFIC. If you are planning to go and want Station one, the quiet and beautiful part of the beach, I suggest you look at Fridae's, Two Oceans, SeaWind or Nigi Nigi in the same area. They are all much nicer and cleaner and worth paying a bit more for. The Pearl of the Pacific should be condemned. They offered us 2 spa treatments to make up for the fact that the hotel was such a dump and the Spa was so dirty when I went to book a massage I refused to even wait. The swimming pool is photographed in such a way that it looks good but it is in fact dirty and practically on the street. Not a place where you would like to lie around reading a book. Plus there are no lounges to lie around on anyway. Everything positive that I refer to below in this review was experienced at some other hotel , restaurant or bar. There is nothing good to report about Pearl of the Pacific.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank tenys
Reviewed November 6, 2010

i should have read all the tips before going there. all their comments are true. it stinks, its too dark (absolutely no light on the way to the room because its all broken, we we're asked to transfer to the hilltop rooms where you have to climb the 100+ steps staircase since their elevator is also broken, very weak wifi connection and the only way to use it is to stay at the lobby where you will be infested by thousand of mosquitoes in a span of 10min. even the receptionist is terrible. it really ruined our boracay stay. to think we paid so much. =(

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank angelialbana
Reviewed August 5, 2010

SImply put: for roughly the same price as the incredible Discovery Shores or Fridays, this poor excuse for a "hotel" is NOT. WORTH. YOUR. MONEY.
- bathrooms are old and the water is rusty
- the aircon is noisy
- the room, although big, is old and smells damp
- the food is not worth the price you're paying
- when we tried to give honest feedback to the owner, he simply shrugged and smugly said: "I can charge this price because of my location, and I have the "biggest beachfront" in boracay." If this is his defense then he needs to take some classes in hotel and customer management... ANY resort in boracay will have a "big" or "good" beachfront. The point is, he should not be charging as much as Discovery / Fridays when his service, his facilities, and his overall customer experience is CRAP. :)
Peace!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank makoy75
Reviewed July 2, 2010

This was the first time of our 2-year old son in the prime beach destination in the Philippines which is Boracay. My wife and I had the good luck of getting a good rate with Pearl of the Pacific in a travel expo a few months ago so we decided to have a summer-ender of sorts here.

Rooms – We got a superior room with 2 double beds joined together to make 1 queen/size bed. As you can see in the photos I've attached, their rooms aren't really top quality but for the price we paid I can't really complain much as I've seen worse in other places. The mattresses are on the firm side although you won't really have a back ache after sleeping there. Although if given a choice, I will put more layering to the beds to give a more cushy feeling.

Service – The staff were friendly especially the lady receptionist whose name I forgot. They were very helpful and responsive to our needs. But don't expect 5–star or even 4–star service, retraining the staff here will go a long way for the hotel should they invest in this very important aspect of their operation. For example, check-in took a very long time. We arrived at around 10 am and were told that we cannot check-in until 2 pm. So we left our luggage at the front desk first to walk by the beach and have lunch as well. When we came back at 2 pm, we were made to wait until 3 pm before we were checked-in. On the other hand, check-out didn't take long and they even allowed us to stay for an extra hour past the normal check-out hours without any extra charge.

Location – It is in Station 1 of White beach so it is PERFECT for a young family like us. It was also a good 10 – 15 minutes walking distance to Station 2 where D' Mall and most of the restaurants are located. Be warned that their hill top rooms will necessitate some walking exercise from your part. And the elevator they're using is not for the faint-hearted!

Amenities – It has a swimming pool which badly needed cleaning and maintenance. Before we got there, I thought that I could swim there with my 2–year old son. However, upon seeing the condition of the pool I decided against it. It also seemed like most of the resort's restaurants were closed. As I said in the title of my review, it's now time for this resort to be renovated and refurbished because it is badly showing its age.

Food – We didn't try their food so I really cannot comment here. But I'd say that their cocktail drinks during happy hour is worth the price as it was buy 1 take 1. We tried their Margarita Sunrise.

Overall – If you're looking for luxury and high level of comfort, this is NOT the place for you. But if all you need is a comfortable room with access to the beachfront of Station 1, this might be the place for you. Just make sure that you are getting a good discounted deal because their rack rates are exorbitantly expensive for what you get. If they insist that they don't give discounts, just look somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank nomad_with_a_home
Reviewed May 7, 2010

as we all know, during summer we spend our vacation & one of the best destination is in Boracay, but i suggest that you choose a right & best hotel that you'll know its really safe mostly your security & privacy, in this kind of Hotel, Pearl of the Pacific Boracay Resort & Spa the management where so rude, yes they are, the rooms they offer for you to stay is not safe coz most of the locks that you know when you lock it, its locked already but, you really never know its loose so anyone can opened it even at the balcony so that people can view you mostly when your alone, what am i saying is the staff here the whole management so if i where you, think about it first , there are a lots of other hotels there which is much nice than this kind.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business