“Excellent resort - Horrible beachfront service.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The District Boracay

The District Boracay
Ranked #7 of 150 Hotels in Boracay
Guam, USA
“Excellent resort - Horrible beachfront service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

The District is one of the best places to stay in Boracay, along with Discovery Shores and Shangri-La. The property is excellently located in a central area near all of the restaurants and bars. The hotel staff are wonderful and genuinely care about the happiness and wellbeing of the guests.

The BBQ grill on the rooftop is great. I loved the ambiance and the food was tasty. The hotel should promote it a bit more because I only discovered it toward the end of my stay.

I have two complaints, however, which I hope the hotel will take very seriously:

1) Caruso's, one of the hotel's restaurants which is managed by an outside company, is very poorly managed. The staff are aloof and are poorly trained. They frequently forget orders and made me feel like I was disturbing them every time I ordered something. They were not familiar with the menu and were unable to answer the most basic of questions without needing to refer to a colleague. The food quality is also no where near as good as Caruso's in Manila. Unfortunately Caruso's handles the drinks at the beachfront, which is really a negative for The District because the restaurant staff almost never come out to check if guests would like to order anything. Every time I wanted to order a drink I had to get the attention of the security guard to call over the waiter. The hotel should take over service at the beachfront and impose their own service standards on Caruso's staff. I can't emphasize how much my multiple negative experiences at Caruso's, both at the beach front and in the restaurant itself, truly disappointed me and affected my stay at The District. The beachfront if a very important part of the experience when staying at The District and I feel that hotel should take greater responsibility to ensure that service is flawless.

2) My second complaint is that the hotel allows guests to leave their towels or books on the beach chairs and disappear for hours at a time, making it difficult for other guests to secure a beach chair. I suggest the hotel impose a rule that if a guest leaves for more than one hour, the security guard shall remove the guest's belongings and free up the chair for use by another guest. This rule is common at other resorts around the world where beach chairs are limited and difficult to secure.

The above two problems, I believe, are relatively easy for management to address. I plan to visit The District again in a month or so and really hope to see a change.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Zerk
ch1020, Marketing & PR Supervisor at The District Boracay, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Zerk,

Warm greetings from The District Boracay, your contemporary boutique beachfront resort in Boracay!

Thank you so much for the generous compliments about the resort, and for the great commendation to our staff. We are very happy to hear that you had a great time at the resort, despite some unfortunate experiences you had at our beachfront and at our partner restaurant. We do apologize for the inconveniences that these has caused you, rest assured that all your comments have been noted and are being addressed to avoid similar incidents from happening in the future.

Our Security Team at the beach makes it a point to ensure that all guests and their belongings are well-attended to. We are already looking at adding more beach chairs, to accommodate more guests who wish to lounge by the beach.

Once again, thank you so much for the valuable feedback, and for choosing The District Boracay as your home in the island. Looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit!

Marketing and PR Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at The District for 5 days in December, during Xmas week. I want to start out by complementing the customer service above everything else – Top Notch! From the airport transfer person, the hotel rep at Caticlan port, to the front desk and other hotel employees we had contact with during our stay, it was very friendly and very good service. For me that’s a big deal because even if I stay in a one star hotel, if the service is great, it will make it feel like a 5 star experience. This was no exception. Service was amazing, 5 stars just for that! Edgar and the security person with him every day (can’t remember his name) – so very helpful moving the umbrellas and keeping the vendors away. The people working the buffet breakfast are super nice and helpful too, especially Apple. I can’t remember names from the front desk or the pool side attendant, but they were all friendly and helped us without question or request. Friendly and great service from start to finish!

The facility itself is nice. The hotel grounds are well kept and clean. Housekeeping did a great job every day on our room, although I think they should be aware of the number of persons staying in the room and leave enough towels for everyone (we had 2 adults and two kids, but were given only 3 towels for some reason). I had to call housekeeping a few time and leave notes in the morning to request more towels. The room we had, not sure of the type, but it was on the second floor facing the pool, with two double beds – it was large enough for our family. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. All modern looking. Bathrooms are nice.

The had the buffet breakfast every morning. It was good, serving fresh fruits and an assortment of Western and Asian hot and cold dishes. The hot food stations change daily, so you don’t have quite the same thing every morning. One thing that I thought was a nice touch – they had a breakfast special that was different every day and we were always offered it be the wait staff. We tried their Italian restaurant for lunch one day. The price was a little high relative to the nearby restaurants, but I was totally surprised by the food – the pizza was really good! A little skimpy on the toppings (I ordered the seafood pizza and there was not a lot on the pizza), but the pizza dough and cheese were very tasty, and it was perfectly cooked. My daughter had the 4 cheese pizza and it was so good. We checked out the lounge on the top floor facing the beach, and ordered our complimentary cocktails. Great view of the beach and of the sunset from up there.

The location is just about in the middle of White Beach. It’s near DMall for other food choices and shopping, ATMs, etc, and Jonah’s is only about 10 minute walk away (best fruit shakes!). It’s a busy area all day and all night, so if you are looking for a quieter place, this might not be the right location. But if you want the nightlife and to be around a lot of other party people, you are in the right spot.

One gripe I did have, although I know it’s for a good reason – just after sundown, I think they spray mosquito repellent in the open air hallways of the hotel. It’s a good thing, but that stuff they use gave me a headache every time I smell it (LOL!).

This was only the 3rd time I have been to Boracay in the past several years, so I cannot compare The District with many other places. But for what I know now after my stay, I do not think there is a better place for my family when we return. For the location, but mostly for the service, we will book our stay at The District again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rockit_65
Dear Rockit_65,

Warm greetings from The District Boracay, your contemporary boutique beachfront resort!

Thank you very much for the generous compliments about the resort. We are very happy to hear that you and your family had a great time during your stay, and we couldn’t be happier to hear of your intent to stay with us again on your next visit. I will ensure to pass this very valuable feedback to all our staff.

Our Housekeeping Team endeavors to provide all our guests needs, and we do apologize for the miscommunication about the towels. Rest assured that we’ve already addressed the issue, to ensure that this won’t happen again. We also sorry for the inconvenience that the fume of our insect repellent has caused you. The one that we are using at the resort is made from natural ingredients to ensure minimal effect to our guests without sacrificing its main purpose of protecting them from insect bites. We are already looking at other alternatives, ones with milder scent, to avoid the same experience from happening to our future guests. Thank you for pointing this out to us.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about The District Boracay, and we certainly hope to welcome you and your family back soon!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Was pleasantly surprised here and especially by the hospitality and high levels of customer service provided.

Rooms are clean and modern with the only minor gripe being the small shower and toilet,

Free internet is available throughout all of the resort. Also included in the price are the airport transfers which was a pleasant perk. The breakfast buffet also is quite impressive and included in our stay.

Within the hotel there is also a swimming pool which is clean and maintained well. No gym but hey you are staying on one of the greatest beaches in the world and exercise outdoors would be much more enjoyable.

Can't say enough about the staff though. They really do like to make sure that you enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Most rooms seem fine.There are some rooms which don't have full view of the swimming pool so if...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andy A
Dear Andy A,

Thank you so much for the generous compliments about the resort. We are especially pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The District Boracay. We owe it to our guests to provide the most comfortable and hassle-free service at all times, and we try our best not just to meet but to exceed guests’ expectation.

We are also happy to hear that the location of the resort made it more convenient for you to enjoy everything that the island has to offer. We take pride in our resort’s prime beachfront location, which also provides the best spot to just enjoy the view, anytime of the day.

At the moment, we do not offer any fitness facility but we intend to put up a gym sometime soon, hopefully you'll get to enjoy this on your next visit.

Once again, thank you and we do hope to have you back at the resort again next time!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Great location, excellent service, nice and very clean rooms, good restaurants. The District is really a great choice in Boracay. We spent a week there las December and really loved it (family of 5 in two rooms). All the personnel treat you really well. I highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Boston2d
ch1020, Marketing & PR Supervisor at The District Boracay, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Boston2d,

Thank you so much for highly recommending us to your fellow travelers here on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to hear that you had a great time at The District Boracay. It is of primary importance for us to make each stay a comfortable and memorable one, and every team member makes it a point to provide the most personalized service to all guests.

Once again, thank you for choosing The District Boracay and it was our pleasure to have you and your family at the resort! We hope you can come back and visit us again in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 16/12/13-21/12/13 at the Premium room which we found to be lovely modern and spacious. Although we had a bit of an incident (read below) we still find the hotel to be pretty fantastic. We believe it's the best looking hotel in all of district 2 & 3, with a contemporary and modern feel to it (it was only opened in late 2012). Our Premium room had 2 sinks and the room was well laid out. Amenities were nice, well stocked and replenished daily. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. The hotel had a small-medium sized pool + jacuzzi and looks pretty at night. We had a dip in it a few times but we were more enticed to swim at the amazing white beach right in front of the hotel (more on location later). The hotel also has an Italian restaurant which makes nice pizza, but there are plenty of restaurants nearby so we were spoilt for choice. Hotel also has a bar + restaurant (Star Bar and Vigan) which has happy hour during sunset, buffet style dinner and/or Philippino food from Vigan area. The bar is usually quiet when we were there, I was there on 3 occasions: on 2 occasions we were only there with another couple and the other time I was sipping cocktails alone in the dark, although I wasn't complaining as I enjoyed the solitude yet I was able to see the hustle and hustle from above. Unfortunately the hotel has no spa or gym, but there are lots of spas around so it wasn't a problem. And once I saw the beach, any forms of intended exercise at any gym was forgotten.

Location: brilliant! So close to everything and if you are like me and want convenience, this hotel is perfect. It also has its own beach loungers so we spent most days sitting there enjoying the beach. It's reserved for hotel guests only so you don't have to worry abt where to enjoy the beach, and boracay has one of the most amazing beaches in the world!!! We were thinking abt Shangrila hotel as an alternative hotel, and although shangrila was BEAUTIFUL (we visited on our last day), it's very secluded so I would have find it quite constraining. Personally I prefer the location of The District in station 2. The only slightly annoying thing is the loud bar at the hotel next door which has a band playing at night- their speakers are so loud and so bad quality it's ear-shattering.

Ok so the incident happened on our 3rd night. I was in the shower when the hot shower suddenly stopped. Upon finishing the shower, smoke was billowing out from under the sink and I opened the sink, something (which we later found out was the water heater) was in flames. We called reception and within a minute a few security guards and hotel workers came investigate and doused the flames with an extinguisher. Unfortunately the room was already full of smoke and thankfully the fire was contained. This was pretty frightening but the staff handled it well without panic so kudos to the team. We got upgraded to the Premier Suite room (which was a loft and although the most expensive and largest room with ocean views, we find not as pleasant as our initial Premier room as the steps from bedroom to bathroom was a hassle and the bathroom is smaller). We were also given free laundry for our clothes that smelt of smoke, a free bottle of wine, an apology note from manager and complimentary dinner at the Buffet grill. We thought that was a sign of a good hotel, which we appreciated. Although I'm a little unsure of the wiring situation of the hotel, the frightening experience was turned around by excellent customer service.

Overall the experience with the hotel was very pleasant. Incident aside, we would still return and recommend this to others who wants a nicer quality 4.5 star boutique hotel in the middle of the action. Big thanks to the staff for the happy smiles we see each morning, especially Edgar who helped us with the beach umbrellas and dropping us at the airport and young John (or was it James) at reception who was always smiling.

Room Tip: The Premium suite has ocean views From 2 balconies but the loft style was a bit of a hassle.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nick M
ch1020, Marketing & PR Supervisor at The District Boracay, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Nniicckkmm,

Many thanks for the great feedback, despite the unfortunate incident that you encountered at the resort. As a Standard Operating Procedure, the Management has conducted a thorough investigation of the incident, and our Engineering Team found out that it was the heater, not faulty wiring, that caused the fire. All heaters installed at the rooms went through quality inspection prior to installation, and we are already rechecking all other units to ensure that this won’t happen again. Guests’ safety is always our top priority, that is why we regularly conduct trainings (like Firefighting Training, First Aid) to ensure that The District Boracay is capable of responding to emergency cases like this. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you, and we do hope this won’t keep you from considering The District Boracay as your preferred choice next time you are in the island.

On a more positive note, we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the location of the resort, which provided easy access to all interesting places in the island. The Star Lounge may look intimidating to some travelers, but it is actually the experience of being there, above the hustle and bustle with no less than the most amazing sunset view, that makes the place a stand-out. We have already called the attention of the nearby bar, and politely asked if they can adjust the volume of their music at night.

The rooms are well-appointed and kept clean all the time so guests may enjoy a really comfortable stay after a tiring day under the sun, thanks to our Housekeeping Team. Our Internal Security Team, on the other hand, ensures that the beach in front of the resort is well-attended to all the time, to make each guest (and their belongings) secured even outside the resort. Simply put, every team member (including the Support Team you normally do not see every day) works hard and hand-in-hand to provide the best holiday experience to all our guests. Thank you so much for noticing even the simplest of gestures, it really means a lot to us.

I would also like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are already planning to put up a Spa facility at the resort – particularly at the Premier Lounge – which we hope you could check-out on your next visit.

Once again, thank you so much for the overall great review, the pleasure of having you at the resort was certainly ours. Hope to have you back again next time!

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

A beach front hotel in Boracay, this is a great place to stay and relax after all the swimming and water activities that's fun to do here.
It is only a a few steps from D'mall, where there are several good restaurants to dine. It is also a tricycle ( P60/trip ) ride away from D'talipapa, where mouthwatering seafood is available fresh from the market and several restaurants ready to cook them. This is my favorite place to dine.
The District serves a good breakfast. The rooms are very clean. The staff very friendly and accommodating. In fact, they gave us a room upgrade when we didn't like the room we initially booked. Moved us to another room where we could see the pool and supervise the kids while they were enjoying themselves.
Yes, I will definitely come back here and recommend this place.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool have better views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Hanninah,

Thank you so much for the kind words. We are very happy to hear that you and your family had a great time at the resort, and equally delighted to hear of your intent to visit us again! The resort provides easy access to the most interesting spots in the island, and this offers great advantage to all our guests who wish to explore the whole island.

We are also happy to note that you loved our Deluxe Suite that is overlooking the pool. Since we only have 2 of this type of room, I recommend booking in advance to ensure its availability should you decide to visit us again next time.

Thank you once again, and looking forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Our extended family stayed here in November just after the typhoon Haiyan had passed. Although the hotel is in busy station 2 which can be rather noisy and full of people. Inside the hotel, it is an oasis of tranquility. We do not hear the live music outside in our rooms. The hotel has a beach front, but I find there too many restaurants providing dining service on the beach with live music in the evening.
The rooms are quite new. The bathrooms are small but they are very clean and well-stocked with the ablution stuffs. The staffs are very helpful and friendly.
There is a very nice adequately-sized lapse pool with friendly staffs giving out bath towels.
In the evening, the roof-top bar is a pleasant place to wind down and watch the sunset.
It is a pleasant quiet hotel amidst the busy station2 with very good access to the beach.
We did not have wifi during our stay because of the typhoon. But we can go next door to the coffee shop which has wifi.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Piyah P,

Thank you so much for the positive review for The District Boracay! The beauty of the resort outside extends to the inside, a total hideaway from the bustling Station 2. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the quiet and relaxed ambiance inside the resort, as well as the bathroom, lap pool, and Star Lounge (our bar at the roofdeck).

It has been 2 months since the typhoon hit Boracay, and I am happy to inform you that the resort’s operations has been back to normal since the early part of December. In fact, The District Boracay was one of the few resorts who ran on generator after the typhoon cut off the electricity in the island. Local electricity has been restored early December, as well as all telephone lines and internet connection. Fortunately, the beach remained unscathed and is still as beautiful as ever.

Once again Piyah P, many thanks for visiting us and we certainly hope to have you back again next time you visit the island!