“Excellent stay ”

Isla Kite Guesthouse
Ranked #25 of 226 Boracay B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Hi , I had and wonderful time at Isla in December 2013 and I will go back soon . The staff all made me feel very welcome and soon i felt like part of the family , it was the small things like knowing you name that made all the difference when you went in for a coffee or some of the fantastic food in the restaurant . The room was clean and the bed comfortable and it was exactly what I needed . I had a shoulder problem and I didn't get to kite surf but I can't wait to go back and try it .

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Jimbors
There are newer reviews for Isla Kite Guesthouse

Reviewed January 14, 2014

When we landed at Isla, we were quite disappointed since it looked very small however after staying there for 5 days we were raving about how good the place is. Our room was right on the bulabog beach and offered a splended view of the ocean. The room is made of bamboos and not very big. They do not change the bedsheets and towel everyday.

The attached restaurant serves some of the best food i have eaten on the island and do not miss their special dish of the day. The owners are very helpful and even helped me in exchanging pesos for dollars since the bank was closed. Definitely would love to stay again

Room Tip: Choose the room with the sea-view... its worth it
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djdebashis
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We looked at several options along Bulabog over the Christmas period, but you really can't beat Isla for it's value for money. What you see on the website is exactly what you get - good, clean, simple rooms with comfy beds and fluffy towels. It's all you need after a day on the water. We needed to change half way through our stay as booked quite late for Christmas. We stayed in a large double and also the small double and both were fine. If you book in advance, my preference would probably be one of the rooms towards the back of the school, which have aircon and are probably a bit quieter in the mornings, but with the sea breeze and a fan (plus a day on the water) you should sleep well.

The restaurant/ cafe also serves up some fantastic, good home cooking from fruit porridge or Spanish omelet for breakfast to their daily special or a good burger for lunch. The place has a great vibe and the staff couldn't be more helpful. A special mention goes to Lidia - she really is fantastic and went above and beyond to help us plan our trip. Thanks so much to all of you for a great stay and introducing us to the world of kite surfing!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KP8
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed for a few nights in Isla as a landing point to get to know the island and did my kitesurfing schooling with the Isla team. Francois and co. have a great setup and are very willing to help you out to get to know where's good to go and more importantly, kiting tips and advice!

The accommodation is simple and clean, it's real draw is it's location on Bulabog beach. I'd definitely go back there for more lessons.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dee170
Reviewed November 16, 2013

hi,,,,,,,,,,honestly.
i come across this place because it was cheap,,,they failed to mention it was clean,,,,, comfortable,,,,had great people running the place ,,,,,,had a great cheap restaurant attached to it,,,beautiful views,,,,,and awesome kite surfing instructors at your service,,,,,i will defo go back there on my next visit to borocay

Room Tip: spend a few pesos more,,,,,,get the bigger room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kevin d
Reviewed August 2, 2013

i went with a group of friend, and we enjoyed.i had a very good time in this hotel.
the people from the hotel are really nice, they're willing to help anytime you need help, when i didn't know how to go to clubs and bars, they showed me the map and they advised me which is be best club to go, where's the best restaurant to eat,
the hotel is near to the white beach, just 5 to 10 minutes walk,
the room is pretty clean, and comfortable, there's wireless outside the room for 24 hours and it works pretty good!
too bad i chose the wrong season to go, but even though i really had fun.. I'll definitely go back, perhaps around march or april during the high season
I'd recommend it....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank providencia j
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The problem with this hotel isn't the hotel itself ( if you minus the cockroach and the fact you don't get hot water from the equation) it's with the staff that run it. I can't fault them at the beginning - they arranged for a company to meet us at caticlan airport and take us to the hotel. When we got there we were given a key and taken to our room. This was nothing like the pictures, but we accepted, due to the price we were paying it was always going to be basic. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There wasn't an option for hot water but again we could live with this. We were slightly nervous about the fact that the owners of the hotel seemed to have a terrible reputation, when speaking to various people that we met. Then one night we lost our hotel key - there is no 24 hour reception or anything so our only option was to break the lock to get in. Which was alarmingly easy - dont leave any valuables in your hotel room. First thing in the morning we went to the hotel staff extremely apologetic and explained the situation and that we would be more than happy to pay to replace the lock. He said it happened all the time, they didn't have spare keys - opened a drawer with about 20 + locks in it, and replaced it. We were told it would cost 1,200php to replace - which seemed like too much, and this was confirmed by some locals we had met in the various bars. We then went to a hardware store to see if we could replace the lock. We found the exact same lock for 450php. When we went to reception to give it too them I was understandably annoyed but politely left the lock and informed them that they may wish to consider buying there locks elsewhere as I just bought one for 450. The gentlemen then came to our room to tell us this wasn't the right lock and that the one I gave them was useless to him - he also started saying to my other half that I wasn't a nice person etc and was verbally abusive. It ended with us not paying the 1200php and he took the 'useless' lock. To boot the staff at the cafe are horrendous - if you manage to get them to acknowledge your existence, I would consider that victory and not push for a smile or friendly hello!!!

Overall - clean, very basic room - let down by unfriendly and unhelpful staff!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jen M
fbacquet, Owner at Isla Kite Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Funny how two people can experience the same event with such different points of view.
You are right Jennifer, we don't have a 24 hrs reception but we have a guard who had your key prepared for you to check-in. I remind you that you were paying 970 php (18 euros) a night for a room with direct seaview and 9 inches mattress. There is hot water in the bathroom. You should have asked us to show you how to use it and we would have done so immediately.

We charge 1200 php for the door knob change which is 950 php for the door knob itself (cost price) and 250 php for changing it. You brought us the lowest quality door knob without even asking us. Why would we accept it ? In all our rooms we have door knobs closing with a key. The one you brought closes with a button which means that you lock it from inside then have to slam the door to close it. We do not want this type of doorknob as otherwise it makes noise everytime someone closes his door. Not nice for the neighbors ! If I break something that is yours, I would replace it by the same item or at least with the same quality. But it seems like you did not understand it.
To be honest, you seem nice in your review but when you were here you were acting really bad. We didn't care much if you guys did not pay us back the 1200 php. We are talking about 20 euros... But you had such a bad attitude !! If you want respect, start by talking respectfully to others. At the end of the day, your boyfriend was willing to pay and I refused the money explaining him that my point was about your aggressive attitude and not about the money.