“Very Quirky!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Spider House Resort
Ranked #42 of 150 Hotels in Boracay
“Very Quirky!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

The spider house really is like nowhere else we have ever stayed before. If you're a fluffy towels and chocolates on the pillow kind of person then it isn't for you. We had a 'standard plus' room which meant it was a 'small' room but did have it's own bathroom. When we got to the room it certainly was big enough for us. But as previously said, there was no door to the room, only a hatch in the floor as to get to the room we had to climb up a wooden ladder. Only 3 walls as the room looked out over the sea which was gave us an amazing view to wake up to.
I was a little worried as I'm not the biggest fan of insects (particularly south-east Asian insects!) but it really wasn't too bad. Some ants in the toilet was about the worst we saw, and being true to the name, there were cobwebs and little spiders hanging around the place. (you are living in a treehouse afterall)
We had no issues with noise really, the music in the bar stops around 10pm, but you do hear people in adjacent rooms.
The bar area is nice, food we had tasted good but service wasn't great (bringing food out at different times, had to wait 1hr for a pancake one morning!)
On one of the days the electricity was off between 8am and 5pm which we didn't know was going to happen, so perhaps check with the staff if they expect the electricity to be off at certain times.
In the heat of the day it's about a 20/25min walk to the main hub or you can get a tricycle for around 100pesos.
In summary, we would recommend this place for young people/backpackers who are looking for a unique experience. Wouldn't recommend for families or people who have difficulties with steps and ladders!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Smithkins2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

This place is a bungalow style resort which has an amazing turquoise water view and the friendliest staff ever. It is a quiet, but not far, haven from the super crowded "white beach" stations 1-3.
The place also offers all the services you might need - food, beverages, laundry, sail boat, snorkeling equipment, pool table and free wi-fi.

Room Tip: Ask for the superior room no.3
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ofir P
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have stayed at baling hai and had a pleasant experience so please do not confuse me for the "pampered" traveler. I do enjoy the "tree house" experience, but when it came to this place I believe i was misinformed when I made the booking through their website. When I booked my room online there was a picture of a small bamboo cabin that I assumed would be ours since that is the picture that came up when I chose the "superior room". Imagine my surprise when we arrive on location and are led into the tiniest room in the back of the house with a side view of the ocean. That is definitely not the bamboo hut on the beach that i imagined myself having. I did try to embrace the experience, but it was difficult since our room did not even have a door to make us feel somewhat enclosed. What made matters worst is right behind our thin bamboo wall was actual construction in the process! When i say thin bamboo wall, I mean I can look through the cracks and see the working men in action, listening to music...no more than 3 feet away! At night I did not feel safe knowing that anyone can just climb into our room since we had no door. At a bare minimum, this place should have some sort of door and lock to feel secure. Sorry for the unpleasant review!

On a brighter note, the downstairs lobby area is amazing and the food is to die for!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lena94547
londra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Only few steps away from the overcrowded White Beach, Spider House is the place to be if you're looking for some rest after party! Set in an outstanding position on the side of a cliff overlooking Diniwid Beach, it is entirely ecofriendly made but still it has all conforts you would expect from a european or american hotel, such as wifi connection, background chill-out music in common areas, well-equipped rooms with ventilator, safe, mosquitos-net and hot-shower. Most of the rooms are totally open to the fore, facing the clear water and you can even jump into there from the dining room! Last but not least, staff is very friendly and the owner himself treat you as family. He really made my holiday! Advanced booking is recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for room no. 5!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank lilith33
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

When I first got to Boracay I thought it wasn't for me. Bit too busy, bit too developed, way too much concrete. I'd seen Spiderhouse on Trip Advisor before I left and as soon as I could I jumped on a tricycle to check out the place. By far the best decision I made all holiday.

Spiderhouse is exceptionally beautiful. I loved the walk through a cave to get to it, the attention to detail with the design, the bamboo flooring, the fact you can jump into the sea from the bar (when the tide is high!), the fantastic staff, the food, the hammock, the music, the views, the rooms and more.

As a 'walk-in' I had to move rooms a fair bit since other people had them booked. Though this gave me a chance to check out the various options available and I have to say all were great. Some had great balconies, others had large windows - or rather large open spaces as there's no glass in the place at all. Some had views of the beach, some of the sea and the last room I stayed had both. The only reason I’ve given Spiderhouse four stars for sleeping is that the beds are a little small and my head and feet brushed up against the mosquito net.

As has been said before, some people wont like Spiderhouse, there's no A/C, no TVs and the sound and light from other rooms may seep into yours. But what others may not like about the place was exactly the thing I loved. The fact you're so close to nature, the fact that you feel naturally grouped with the other people staying there (much easier to meet people as a solo traveller than on the rest of White Beach), the fact it’s natural and not concrete. And who needs a TV when you’ve got a laptop anyway?

I’m writing this review because I think Alan’s a great guy and want to help him out. But if I had my way I’d keep Spiderhouse a secret. That way I can make sure it’s not fully booked next time I’m around.

Dave, London

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the honeymoon suite (as I've taken to calling it) was particularly beauti...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Dave C
Milano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

This place has been converted in hotel one year ago and it is already a legend in the island.
I arrived at Spider House for New Year's Eve and stayed there for 3 nights. I was coming from another place in Boat Station 3 that had made me realize that the White Beach was definetely too crowded and noisy for an indipendent traveller. Arriving here was like entering heaven! The place is located north to Boat Station One, next to Diniwid Beach, the most exclusive area in Boracay. The premises are really beyond what you can imagine, they reminded me of the Blue Lagoon house. Most of the rooms are directly overlooking the ocean and from the main room downstairs you can easily access the pristine waters for a refreshing swim. In the same area it is located the restaurant with the open hair kitchen: food, fruit shakes etc. were very good and prepared in front of us. There's a good selection for vegetarians as well.
Most importantly, the owner treated us like family. I went shopping with him and also sailing, I could have the best shiatzu massage there, and they also called for a lady to make me manicure & pedicure on the last day of the year.
There was a really good vibe @spider house, everthing was cool and relaxed, and guests were couples, solo travellers etc..anyway people that were not only looking for a place to stay, but also to meet fellow travellers and share their experiences. It is a place for you if you can catch the magic is in there, it is not if you are just looking for an aircom room with airport pickup etc..or if you want everything organized. For that, there are hundreds of places to choose in Boracay.
For New Year's Eve we had there the most exciting party ever. My only reccomendations is to book well in advance because there are only about ten rooms and you won't be the only one to stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank love78
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

I absolutely adored this place. Built into the side of the cliff amongst the trees it is very basic but what do you really need when you are in paradise?

This is not for those that like there 'comforts', Our room had no radio, TV, air con or any basic amenities you usually find....heck it didn't even have windows...it was completely open to the elements...and that's what made it so special.

You can jump right off the side of the lobby into the crystal blue waters....i quite enjoyed taking my cocktail with me :)

Also the staff were AMAZING. The loveliest i met in all of Boracay.

A great place to experience with you want something different and with character but don't mind roughing it just a bit.

Room Tip: You taxi (or little scooter thing) will drop you at the end of the road in town. Walk straight towar...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple