“The Calypso Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 165 Specialty Lodging in Boracay
Brisbane, Australia
“The Calypso Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Well where to start.. After many years visiting Thailand , Malaysia and Vietnam from when we were an unmarried couple spending our days diving and nights in restaurants to the last few years which have been taken up with discovering holidays that were a little out of the way but fun for our two boys now aged 8 and 10 it was finally time to introduce them to the joys of the underwater world and I decided that the Philippines and Boracay specifically was going to be the place...Many late nights on Google researching the options and I kept gravitating back to Calypso...Why?? If I was going to let my 8 year old strap a tank on for PADI Seal I wanted a purpose built dive pool, if my ten year old was going to complete his Open Water I wanted him to be able to complete all of his skills in a controlled environment..I could not find another operator that had the POOL...If I was going to an island paradise I want to wake up and see it and go to bed beside it..Calypso was hitting the mark..
So the communication began ..First responses were from Joy who looked after the accom and Sue on the diving..cc to each other always.. timely and thorough ..They probably looked at their e-mails and thought Oh God not him again...

The time finally came and after sleeping on the floor of Changi airport overnight, a four hour delay in Manila and finally arriving at 9pm the welcome could not have been better...

We had booked a Deluxe suite and the room was massive, clean and perfect for a family of four..the balcony sits on the edge of the beach path so a great view which will only get better when the palms out the front grow a few metres...No problem with noise from passers by overnight..

On to to diving.. I cannot speak highly enough about this team...Captain Sue hides behind the scenes but has it all under control and then you have Captain Andrew..Sitting in the shop like Captain Kirk on the bridge of the Enterprise...knows all that is happening and directing staff and customers in a style that had me in stitches...
The instructors Oliver and Rainier teaching the boys displayed passion and patience, I could not have hoped for a better interaction as an introduction to a sport that we can now enjoy as a family...
Did we have hiccups? Yes.. Current the wrong way on a dive, trigger fish that wouldn't go away and a little fire coral burn.. Guess what? that is diving.. at no time was anyone worried and it taught my 10 year old that there no place for complacency in diving..

My next holiday? Boracay.. Where am I staying? Calypso,, Who am I diving with ? Calypso...

I have dived with a heap of companies and in a lot of locations in Asia and for a total experience of accom, food, bar and the most important diving they have nailed it..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kumo77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Background: I sought out Boracay because of its worldwide reputation. And I sought out Calypso Diving because they were offering an Advanced Scuba Diving course on NITROX. Also, they were the only one of two places in the Pacific to have its own in-house Nitrox generator. (In fact, other dive operators in the vicinity purchase Nitrox from them.). The resort is a collection of a half-dozen rooms and a couple of suites that are adjacent to the dive shop.

PROS: Location... location... location is its best asset. It is a beachfront property with its own restaurant. Situated between Stations No.2 & 3, the resort is spared the noise from incoming boats ferrying passengers. The combination of a dive school, dive shop and accommodation makes it a very convenient arrangement. If you enroll in one of their classes, you can negotiate a fairly good deal with the accommodation's price (which I did). Complimentary breakfast is also a big PLUS. I truly love the "Longsilog" combo (a local sausage, fried eggs and garlic fried rice) that I ordered it every day!

CONS: The resort is primarily a scuba diving school. I think the accommodations were an afterthought. Consequently, the rooms are basic and spartan, nothing more. The furnishings are simply outdated but functional. One can even fairly say the place is rundown. The A/C can be noisy but what I did was to let it run when I'm not around.

Liked: The individualized attention by the scuba instructor(s) was outstanding. Diving and entering the wreck Camia II just offshore was exciting! And cheap food! What can I say? There were cheap, delicious food sold up and down the beach.

Disliked: The entire beachfront is overcrowded with tourists: Germans and Aussies in the summer, then Koreans and Japanese in the winter. They can be noisy at times.

Verdict: You must understand that one stays at Calypso for the diving rather than for its accommodation. It is primarily a dive school that happens to have rooms on the side. Lower your expectations. It is not a Hilton. I would not necessarily discourage you from choosing this place but, if you do, the dive school should be your priority. Forget about booking this for honeymoons, anniversaries or romantic encounters because that's not their mandate. Having said thus, it was adequate for my purposes. Caveat emptor! Grade B+.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Eternal_Nomad_12
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed here over New Years 2012/13 so this review is long overdue but I had such a nice stay I felt compelled to leave some feedback. I found the location to be perfect for my needs - not right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the centre of Station 2 but then not far from the action either. I'd say it was a 10 minute walk to the centre of Station 2 but bear in mind this is a 10 minute walk along one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I stayed in the room described on their website as 'Deluxe room situated on the first floor with a balcony' and it was fantastic. The the room was clean and modern and the view from the large balcony was beautiful. The staff were all very friendly and attentive. The food in the restaurant below was lovely. I could have quite happily eaten 3 meals a day there during my holiday there. Even their salads were delicious which is surprising coming from a carnivore like me! Unfortunately I didnt have a chance to do any diving but judging from the rest of their facilities and their staff's performance I'd imagine their diving facilities are top notch too (I only gave the Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre a 3 as I didnt use them). I only had a couple of complaints... 1. the water wasnt working on New Years night and wasnt fixed until around lunch the next day (I imagine it would have been hard to find a pumpler on new years though...) 2. Dinner for New Years required a booking which we were not informed of so we were very disappointed to have to go somewhere else. Other than those hiccups I really enjoyed my stay there and would definitely recommend the Deluxe King Suite for a couple wanting to treat themselves.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Some friends and I came here after three long months of working in the Philippines. After doing a lot of research for dive shops on Trip Advisor and other sites, we settled on Calypso. We were not disappointed. This is perhaps one of the most professional outfitters I've ever seen. It had been a while since my last dive, so I asked for the refresher course. Jeb, my instructor and guide for the next two days was absolutely phenomenal. The fresher was just the right length. She took me through a quick theory refresh followed by a one hour pool session, before we left for our two boat dives. Over the next two days, we did four boat dives, all of which were gorgeous. The dive shop itself was immaculate, the staff was perfect. The rental equipment was spotless, and our every need was catered to. I'll never dive with any other company when I return to Boracay. Ask for Jeb as an instructor. Besides being incredibly knowledgable, safe, and professional, she's also very funny and bubbly. This is exactly what you would hope all Padi Five Star resorts to be. The prices were VERY reasonable to boot. Awesome experience.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

It's hard to know where to chose in Boracay for diving, i'd strongly recommend Calypso.
Sue was brilliant on the admin side, I was amazed to find she was a DM/instructor as well as running a tight ship on the admin side!
They are very professional and take safety very seriously with a briefing before each dive.
The desk staff are very helpful and informative too.
We had an Instructor called Shevi, he is great and was brilliant at finding lots of the smaller stuff (nudie branch, shrimp, needle fish, ghost pipe fish, juvenile box fish) as well as pointing out the bigger stuff (giant Puffas, tutles, Black frog fish, sweetlips, travellies etc)
We dived on the Camia wreck, SO MUCH LIFE ON BOARD, it was a wonderful dive!
Calypso always seemed to manage to be away from a lot of the other boats so we weren't bouncing around amonst loads of other divers which helped to highlight the experience.
They might be slightly more pricey than other dive shops but that's for a good reason, you shouldn't go cheap on diving in my opinion and I was really impressed with them, would defo use them again.

Room Tip: See if you can dive with Shevi.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Calypso for 6 nights and it was nice. It is good because it is right in front of the beach and has a nice bar/restaurant on the beachfront. We had a basic room which had a large bed and was a comfortable size, but always smelt musty and never felt very clean.
The staff are pretty bad. There was one particular waitress (never wore a name badge) who often worked at breakfast that we always hoped would not serve us. She never spoke, just threw the menu down at us and grunted when we ordered. A few staff members were nice (not the girl who was at the front desk) but I would say overall it was the worst service we came across in the Philippines.
With that said, it is very affordable (for us coming form Australia) and we got a good breakfast every morning so we were happy with our choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ella R
Linkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

You will find so many diving shops around in Boracay, so if you are interested in diving it might be hard to know which place to go. I only have one thing to say and that is - go to Calypso Diving resort. I walked to a few places when I got to Boracay, and when I came to Calypso the guy in the reception disk took me on a tour around and explained everything to me, while the girl at the shop next door just said.. "oh, well, yeah I guess you should watch the video first..." No, no and no. This is the place you are looking for. Professional crew, everyone was so friendly and professional and they made you feel like part of the group naturally. I just got my open water diving license and after three days I must say I'm very pleased with the service they gave me. You pay a tiny bit more than the other places in Boracay for an open water course, but they have good equipment and felt very safe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo