“I choose service and comfort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lazy Dog Bed & Breakfast

Lazy Dog Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 209 Boracay B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“I choose service and comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

As someone with wanderlust I have been all over the world and stayed at hotels from the fanciest, the ritz and Marco polo chains to gritty hostels.
There are a few that has made a mark that I would always find myself going back to. The ritz Carlton in puerto Rico, the Marco polo in Davao, butterfly in hk, vilasanta in Peru and the lazy dog in boracay.

As a solo traveller, one of my top requirements is comfort and that comes not with the best tempur pedic bed. The service is what I look for, because with it comes the best experience. The staff almost always went out of their way to deliver what I needed, from cigarette runs to answering my twenty questions, they know the island inside out.. in the Philippines this is hard to come by, good customer service..Thank you to everyone at the lazy dog.
And have I mentioned the Bistek and the adobo flakes...that deserves a review on its own.
Lazy dog will def be up there as one of my home base.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Like other recent reviews, I just wanted to balance this out a little...

We stayed at the Lazy Dog in Peak season (over Christmas). I hadn't been to the Philippines before but was used to basic accomodation through other hols in Asia. The Lazy Dog is below basic. The rooms were incredibly dark, a very loud air conditioner, the pressure in the shower was bad and at times the tap in the sink barely dripped. The breakfast the first day was lovely! Beautiful omlette! The coffee was passable. For the rest of the time, they had a buffet breakfast which was tepid at best. We stayed there 4 nights. On our 2nd night, the maid had forgotten to provide my husband with a towel. People make mistakes though but the reception wasn't open when we got back so we just got on with it. When we got back the next night, my husbands towel still wasn't there, and the floor mat had disappeared. Plus they hadn't replaced the toilet roll. The final day it didn't stop raining. We were out at cafes most of the day and really wanted to go back to our rooms to relax but didn't feel they were very relaxing, so after dinner we made our way back to the B&B. Our rooms hadn't been made up, the toilet roll still hadn't been replaced and there was only one towel left. Again, reception was shut and there was no-one around to speak to. My husband wanted to make a point of this on checking out, but they never asked him how his stay was, so he didn't bother. For a pricey B&B, you really DON'T get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Byds
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of five and therefore I booked two rooms in the Lazy Dog. The so called "standard" room is actually below standard. Very dark, noisy airconditioning, smallish beds and a terrible shower (hardly any water from the shower head). The other room was called a "superior" room ( I think). Yes, that was much better indeed. More space, a much better shower, decent beds and very different from the dark and unpleasant standard room. The breakfast in the patio/ garden was OK, but we bought our own milk, cereals, chocolate paste and even instant coffee to make it a bit more interesting (for the kids). The coffee served at breakfast is more like warm water; not sure why they have to save on this..... The Vietnamese coffee is OK but not included. The staff (Joyce, the receptionist) and service team is friendly and do their best to ensure the guests are happy. The location is good and very near Bulabog beach. The lazy dog himself (Whisky) is adorable and calm....nice for kids to play with him. Overall I have to conclude that I have mixed feelings on the Lazy Dog. A little disappointed, but it is also not bad.....just average and in the peak season not very cheap [USD 80 for the standard room]. We paid just USD 20,00 more for a great room in the Mandarin Oriental in Manila ! [USD 100,00 via Agoda].

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Farang1964
Dalat
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I feel I need to bring some balance to these reviews - when I read "heaven", "wonderful" and "best in Boracay" I really wonder if they're talking about the same place I stayed. Judging by photos it may well depend on which room you get but mine was the Standard Queen. It was sparsely furnished and although the idea may have been 'rustic' it is about as cosy as a garage. I'm wondering if indeed the room is not finished - maybe they're planning to put some tiles on the concrete floor. Yes it was peak season and accommodation was scarce but does it give the owners the right to charge 3k pesos ($75) per night for a room that ordinarily you'd expect to pay 800 pesos ($20) for, if that? I am used to budget accommodation and have lived in Philippines for 6 years and I don't enjoy being ripped off. However, I blame the over-the-top reviews that I read here prior to booking for deceiving me.
Some go on about the sumptuous breakfast - it was so poor we just gave up on it and ate elsewhere. (The famed pancakes were extremely sweet and stodgy). The courtyard area is tatty and tired looking. I've no idea what security is like (and it is probably fine) but I had happened to be traveling with cash and so asked to keep it in the office vault with some other minor valuables - this is fine but be aware that the office is closed from about 5pm till 9am.
On the positive side the staff are very friendly and helpful. I didn't hear any roosters as others have mentioned. If you are here to do kiteboarding it is perfectly located (and it's only a 10-15 minute stroll to white beach). If you simply need a roof over your head whilst you explore Boracay by day then it suffices - but not worth $75 per night.

Room Tip: There seem to be better rooms than the one I stayed in.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The shower is simply awful! The standard room is the smallest I've ever seen and has glass doors that face the breakfast abd recreation zone, the bed is 20 cm from the door, the conditioner is very noisy. There is a building under construction fast beside and workers start making noise at 7 a.m. It is said that it is bed&breakfast hotel, well, that's true, beds are ok and breakfast is very tasty, but that's all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

For a regular B&B, the establishment serves its purpose, the only value added I could think of was the courteous and friendly service given by their staff as they proceeded in checking us in and in serving our food. Oh, but the vietnamese coffee in their menu also was a pleasing surprise. My kid loved their mango pancake but the juice was another matter. Don't bother with the breakfast packaged with the room but go with their tinapa flakes which has a more distinctive filipino flavor. No staff around after ten in the evening which can be inconvenient at times especially if you were out the whole day and return to the establishment only late in the evening. No drinking water in the room so buy your own gallon if you are the thirsty type in the evenings. The place is located a bit far from the white beach, a good ten to fifteen minute walk, which can be a good thing if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle in the white beach during the evenings. The courtyard is quite nice and would have loved to stay put there, however, it was quite dusty which is, of course, attributable to the establishment's nearness to Bulabog Beach. The place would probably be ideal for those who want to go into kite boarding. I have to admit though, this place is still a better alternative to other cheaper hotels around the Island.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I just wanted to support at least one other reviewer's comments I had read on the rooms and how tired and dark they were. It is in stark contrast to the beautiful courtyard Lazy Dog has. I really didn't enjoy spending much time in my room, and I really didn't feel I received good value for my peso here, but then again this is Boracay and everything is more expensive. Other than that, I support many of the positive comments issued in other reviews.

In terms of White Beach vs Bulabong Beach, you really need to determine what you are looking for. I was quite happy to be away from the overdevelopment and overhype of White Beach even though it was a a bit of walk to get there for meals and other activities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo