“Lazy Dog felt like a home... with real customer service!”

Lazy Dog Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 219 Boracay B&B and Inns
Cebu Island, Philippines
“Lazy Dog felt like a home... with real customer service!”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My review is divided into two parts because these are things worth mentioning:

Reservation:
a. Accommodating in phone calls during inquiry (A month before actual reservation - April 2011)
b. Prompt responses on emails
c. Answered necessary questions on the dot
d. They have a new rate when I reserved May 2011. And I told them that I was given the old rate when I called a month before. I didn't really ask to be given the old rate, I just asked if they changed the rate since it was different before. To my surprise, I was told that since I called a month before, they will give me the old rate w/ free breakfast. I was awed and surprised and happy! Other hotels/resorts would NEVER do that but Lazy Dog did and it totally impressed me with how accommodating they were. That's the real customer service.

Actual Stay:
Upon arrival, I was greeted by Joyce with her warm smile and was also given a welcome drink. I had two rooms reserved and were located upstairs. Room was really nice, clean and cozy and had the basic necessities every guest would need. They even had an emergency light! The place is very simple, very homey and very cozy. The breakfast offerings are quite nice. I requested airport transfers for my friends coming and going to Kalibo and they did the arrangements with Southwest agency, which made things really easy.

The location is perfect for those who want to have a more quiet stay in the island, away from the large crowd of the white beach, but not too far away from the happenings in Station 2 (10 minutes walk or less than 5 minutes tricycle ride), and yet near the beach (10 meters away from Bulabog beach). If you don't like walking going to the white beach, don't book here and complain after! This place is for people who would prefer to have a place that would make them feel at home. And yes, it felt like going home daily after long and exhausting days of activities. At night, it's so quiet and comforting (all you could hear is the rush of the wind) that I was well-rested to prepare for another day. Plus you get the bonus of playing with Whiskey and Max, the resident dogs of Lazy Dog. The owner interacted with us nicely while the staff was simply nice.

Only one suggestion: Kindly fix a few things in the bathroom of room 8 ;) Nevertheless, it was a very pleasant stay! I would never hesitate staying there once more or even recommending the place to some people. :) Thank you Lazy Dog!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank krimarie20

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I came to stay here to get away from my everyday life so I could concentrate on, of all things to do in Bora....WORK! I wanted a place that was friendly for a student budget, clean, comfortable, provided good wi-fi, and away from the madding crowd. I got all those things and more at The Lazy Dog.

Upon arrival you get a refreshing glass of cold iced tea. I had dirty clothes, and they took them and within a couple hours they were cleaned, dry and delivered to my room.

The owner Djila took me under her wing and introduced me to the locals along Bulabog beach. Bulabog is on the other side of the "white sand" beach that Bora is famous for. (In reality it's either 15 minute walk or a 5 minute tricycle ride at less than 20 pesos so no big deal on missing out on that.) Plus, it's a 4 minute walk to D-Mall, which is not my favorite place, but if you need to see crowds and you need the largest selection of tsinelas (sandals) you've ever seen, than go there.

Anyways, Djila and her adorable co-pilot dog took me down the beach to another place. I had no intention on drinking, but the friendly people offered me free shots (which I haven't really done since high school more than 20 years ago) and next thing you know, I'm having a great time. Djila makes sure I get back safely, I go to bed, and get down to work the next morning.

The place is cozy, the service is efficient and extremely friendly. I did not leave my balcony desk for hours while I worked, and all I had to do for water, beer or food was call out to the bar/resto a few feet away and they brought it right over.

Great breakfast included. I tried the pancakes and waffle. Really good, but if you are a bigger person (I am not) you might want to supplement with other things.

Either you are solo or with a special someone, I recommend this place most highly. You won't have the "resort" experience, but if you are like me and don't want that, but rather a homey, eco-friendly, small scale place to call home in Bora, than come here.

O, and you can have someone called in to your room for massage or mani/pedi. It's a little more expensive than most places in the Philippines for sure, but that's the market there. I usually pay 100-200 max for mani-pedi in the PI and I was charged 400 here. (About 8.5-9 USD) Still a bargain compared to my home in NYC.

Note: I came in the "rainy season" but there were many hours of sunny days broken by a little bit of heavy rain. The "rainy season" should not deter you from going to Bora and esp. if you just want to hang out, go to the Lazy Dog!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Christina S
tacoma, wa. USA
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Hey, if you are not Filipino ,but want to hang out in an authentic Boracay place, try the Lazy Dog. Great owners on site; very helpful staff. you feel like you are in on a well kept secret. This is the cool place to be on the hot island of Boracay. Lots of style. One of the owners is a very well regarded Filipino architect.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank briantacoma_wa_USA
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2011

we just got back from Boracay yesterday and we stayed in Lazy Dog Bed & Breakfast.
Upon our arrival at Lazy Dog we were greeted by friendly counter staff and a welcoming drink. The room (double) was on the second floor and was spacious, clean and comfortable. The food is very nice and very reasonably priced if you're having lunch, and you have the option to take it wherever you like.

No visit to Lazy Dog would be complete without meeting the real lazy dog, Whisky! (He really is so lazy...)

We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone. The only small criticism we have is that you will struggle to get a WiFi signal inside the room, but on the balcony you can. Fix that small issue and everything is perfect!

We will be back in April - see you soon Whisky!.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JohnRobert0406
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The service in Lazy Dog is excellent!
Our room was clean always, water was always both cold and hot.
Breakfast is amazing!!! We order all time the same-omlet!!!It's really tasty...and don't forget to order Vietnam style coffee)))
The location of hotel is good-it's inside of i called it village)))far away from white beach with laud crow of drunk people. 10 meters and you are at the Bulabog beach, 10 minutes through the small streets and nice spa saloon (called E.C.) and manicure saloon (Marry Christmas) u get the street of D Mall. So...white beach is soon) While u go here u can do little shopping.
All stuff of Lazy Dog is very kind and nice.
The owner is amazing woman))we really like her!!!
One minus i can say-not too quite conditioner...and after its work everything is wet (camera, notebook and other). Don't leave it turned on when u go out)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnnetVlad
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We got the twin room on the far end of the building - it made the signal for the wifi really hard to access at times. The room was clean and simple. I like their furnishings and the feel of the room, it feels organic. I think they brand the B&B as eco-friendly, I don't know if that was the reason why our room wasn't cleaned and the toilet paper wasn't replenished. We stayed at a different place before this and we were informed that if we wanted our room cleaned, we had to tell front desk. When we checked in, they didn't let us know if that was the case so I just assumed that they would regularly clean the room so I felt a little disappointed. It wasn't a big deal because of our short stay but it would be an issue if we had stayed longer. Reservations was old school. I had to scan a copy of my bank deposit to confirm our reservation. I had a lovely stay and would consider staying there again in the future. The staff were attentive and the owner was really nice. Breakfast was served in the common open area which was charming.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Baguio, Philippines
Reviewed May 25, 2011

My friend and I decided to stay here after our 2 night stay at the other side of the island--just to get a feel of what it's like to be in the quieter area. I love the courtyard, gives me a Sagada kind of vibe --laid back and relaxing. The room I stayed in was spacious and very comfortable. Loved the shower heads and the over-all no frills feel of the room. Will recommend this to friends.
Stayed here for two nights. After coming back from the beach on our second day, we found our room just the way we left it and were a bit surprised. Not sure if room service was included or if we had to inform them. Oh well.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends