“Beautiful place, incredible staff, made it a great honeymoon”

Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Canberra
“Beautiful place, incredible staff, made it a great honeymoon”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

This was the first leg of our honeymoon, the place looked absolutly spectacular from the moment we arrived and walked through the reception area, all the staff were extremely friendly and you are greeted everywhere you go through the hotel. The trip over in the speedboat gives you a good look around the island also. The food (more so the buffet menus) was not spectacular but was still good, however their Rima restaurant was spectacular both in food and views, from here you can see the whole resort. Their private beach is also quite nice located right next to the 3 pools and the 1 of the Bars. I hired a motorcycle for 2 of the days i was their which cost me about $70.00 AUS although it only takes about 1-1.5 hrs to get from one end of the island to the other travelling at around 30km/h. But all in all is a great place for a getaway also not many kids here either which made the resort nice and quiet. The only downside of the hotel is it is expensive when compared to eating out around town but still cheaper than most resorts in Aus i.e cocktails are around $15.00 AUS however around town they range from about $5-10.00. Also there are plenty of things to do around the island, from Sailing to jetski and parasailing and most other beach activities, I highly reccomend a trip to the "Bat Cave" it was quite nerve racking getting into it but it was definately worth it (if you can find it)

1 Thank Timeeh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
makati, philippines
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Loved loved loved Shangri-la Boracay. I've been to Boracay many times before, usually in Station 1 resorts. I did not know what to expect with Shangri-la Boracay, but went there for my birthday with some family and friends. We were a big group, and we all enjoyed our stay very much. We got 3 deluxe sea view rooms, and a friend got a loft villa. The deluxe rooms were great as it is. Decent size rooms, with comfortable bed and great pillows. I actually missed the pillows and bed when I got home. The bathroom you could live in also. And it also had a pull out sofa bed, and the balcony had lounging beds you can lay on too. The loft villa became our party place since it had 2 floors, the upper floor was the bedroom, and the downstairs was a living room with mini kitchen and the private pool area.

The resort is huge. The size seems intimidating if you're use to the smaller resorts at the main beach. But they had a buggy which is typically a golf cart which makes it way easy to get around. You just call for one wherever you are. From your room to the pool side. From the pool side you can ask any employee to call one for you when you want to go back to the room. We had kids with us, and we all felt safe with them roaming around the resort on their own. They have an adventure zone and entertainment zone where the kids are entertained by the employees. It was great, cause it allowed the adults to have fun without having to worry about entertaining the kids, cause the employees there make it a point to entertain your kids for you. But just a reminder, not all games are free at the entertainment area, but its a small price to pay if you want your kids to have fun as well.

The breakfast was great, has everything you may want. The only other food we tried was from the poolside, and the Vintana and room service. It had pretty decent prices. The food was average in the places, some hit or misses. Depends on what you order really and what you prefer. We enjoyed the crispy pork belly, the pizzas and the chicken curry.

The one thing that made this resort exceptional, besides their facilities, is their service. We really felt at home and pampered. Everything we asked for was accommodated at all areas. From housekeeping to room service to poolside staff. They left me a birthday cake at my room, without me having to announce it was my birthday. One of the kids got sick during the trip, and they provided an ice cooler in the room to help cool down her fever.

I thought I'd miss the action of the main beach, but I really didn't. If you prepare accordingly, you don't ever have to leave the resort. If you do want to go to the main beach, they provide a free shuttle that leaves at certain times throughout the day. If I remember correctly, starting at 6pm, it starts every 30 minutes. But just remember to call guest services and reserve a seat ahead of time, because if you just go there on the designated time, the van might be full already.

I will definitely go back to this resort again!

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank cammy79
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Have stayed at a number of top end resorts in Asia including a few Shangri-La's and this one ranks at the very top. Travelling overseas with three young children presents all kinds of challenges but the care and attention provided to us was truly outstanding. This hotel is still relatively new so facilities and rooms are first rate but it is the genuine warmth of the staff that really stands out. From the moment we checked in nothing was too much trouble. Staff greeted the children (by name!) throughout the entire stay and the Adventure Zone playground is a real bonus as well. Luckily had great weather throughout the week so spent plenty of time at the pool (huge!) and private beach as well. Not much need to travel outside the resort as everything is on your doorstep but did take the hotel shuttle to town one day for some bargain hunting.

Dined most days in the cafe Vintana which has a good range and had plenty of staff on hand to assist. Spent one memorable night at the seafood restaurant Sirena. Again top quality food and service and spectacular views of the beach thrown in! Would go a long way to find a better alfresco dining experience anywhere in Asia.

Not sure how soon we can make it back but will certainly be returning one day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank holidays2000
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Shangri La in October 2010 for 3 nights. From the start the staff were brilliant. Very attentive, friendly and polite. Nothing was too much trouble.
The food was gorgeous and with the prices you would expect from a 5* resort.
We had sea view room with possibly the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.
We went snorkelling and lounged by the beach. Great service throughout.
Overall, one of, if not, the best places I've stayed in. Would definately go back!

1 Thank MissRandom
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed at Shangri La Boracay just after New Year. In my usual typically intense mode of travel, I decided to book 2 types of accommodation so that we could savor the full range of what was on offer at this new resort. Hence, we stayed in a Tree House Villa as well as a Pool Villa.

The journey to Boracay was pretty uneventful and hassle free. But once we arrived at the portside reception area for the hotel (to take the boat to the hotel in Boracay) we had our first sense of dissatisfaction. We overheard a couple from the USA who were extremely unhappy with the service.. they were ranting on at the staff about some mishaps... a sign of things to come?....

So, unsurprisingly the first person that greeted us at the hotel (when we arrived by their boat) was totally clueless on the facilities! She drove us in the golf carts which are used to shuttle guests and gave us a ton of inaccurate information, eg: that the restaurant up the hill was open for breakfast, when in reality it was closed as we were past peak season for New Year!

The Tree House Villa itself looked impressive. We asked for a change from the first one that we were put up in as it overlooked some ventilation ducts from another villa just below. But the second one had amazing views, overlooking the clear sea and beach 100s of feet below.. Yet, the villa had a ton of problems. Basically it wasn't clean on many fronts. We had to ask our assigned butler to clean lizard faeces of the our terrace and in the jacuzzi! And most of the wooden floors were dusty. The villa lacked any special little touches and when you opened the fridges they were filled with a measly supply of drinks, eg: 2 cans of coke, 2 cans of beer and 2 bottles of water.. period!

After 3 nights at the Tree House Villa we moved to a pool villa. We chose what we thought to be the best one, being equidistant from the pool, beach and dining facilities. This villa seemed to be much better in terms of maintenance but was still a touch filthy as we found a mount of dead ants in our dayhouse by the pool! But overall, a much better effort than the (more expensive Tree House)!

The resort itself is pretty mediocre. The beaches are nice and the outdoor bars are pleasant, especially the one that is by the seafood grill and set in the trees. But again, the service was subpar. There was no active service on the beach (other than the towel desk) and you feel like you are in a mass market beach hotel. Certainly not becoming of a hotel that charges sky-high prices for the villas!

Food was decent, though not fantastic. Breakfast was the usual buffet, surrounded by a ton of Russian guests gobbling at everything on offer.. We did book the candlelight dinner on the beach which was the highlight of our trip and not to be missed for couples! The BBQ food that night was plentiful and yummy, and service was more gracious akin to what we had experienced in other parts of the country.

I don't know why the villas aren't well maintained but perhaps this was because of the age of the property, being quite new. But this is a problem and I hope the General Manager wakes up and does his job more effectively! Otherwise, Shangri La should replace him as this resort is a sore in their long list of luxury resorts.

PS: and as for Boracay.. it's got lovely sand but the rest is pretty cheesy/tacky.. loud bars, cheap restaurants.. not nice and a bit like a mini Phuket Town!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Titillator
Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2010

The night before check-out we watched the pick-up time on the list for the shuttle service to the airport, this was scheduled at 11.00 hrs.

We went for breakfast at 10.00 and we noticed that the time was changed to 10.30 because of weather conditions.

We were not informed about this change (although they write that they do this) therefore, after breakfast we had to rush to get our belongings and went to check out.
Prior to checkout, (I didn’t recive the bill yet) I was already asked if I was missing a creditcard, which I wasn’t.

I went to my wife to ask her if she was missing a creditcard and after checking she told me that she was indeed missing a package with some cash money and creditcards.

I still had my room key so i hurried back to the room, but before i got there i was approached by the same employee who asked me about the missing creditcard and
he had the package already in his hand!

I took the package and went back to my wife and hand over the package to her, she checked and noticed that all (5) the 500 euro note’s where missing!

I reported this to the Resident Manager and this was here answer (shortened):

From: ester.marcaida@shangri-la.com
Subject: Fw: Re(3): Reporting Euro 2.500,- theft
To: .........................@yahoo.com
Date: Thursday, September 2, 2010, 12:49 PM

Dear Mr. ……..

Thank you for the additional information provided.

Please allow me to explain to you some of the basic procedure that we have in our Hotel : Whilst you were settling your bills at the Front office, the room attendant conducted
a check of your room and found that you left some items in the room. This was then immediately relayed thru phone to the supervisor which is why you were approached by
the Front Office Team Leader at the Front desk to relay to you the room attendant's message that you have left some items in your room and as a gesture of concern,
the supervisor rushed to your room to retrieve them for you.

I hope the above explanation is helpful to understand the incident.

Warmest regards
Ester
Ester Marcaida, Resident Manager
Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa
Barangay Yapak, Boracay Island, Malay, 5608 Aklan, Philippines

So it is a hotel procedure that they will search your room before you have checked out and although they qualify this as a gesture of concern it allows employees to search and
steal before you have a last chance to check for yourself!
So if you are planning to visit this hotel make sure that you check everything before you leave the room on your departing day, because as soon as you leave the room,
they will let employees search your room and steal your valuables!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
27 Thank merkverzekering
Shanghai
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Shangri-La Boracay is a stand-alone resort on the northwester tip of Boracay. It's isolated and removed from all the action and amenities on White Beach. For some this will likely be a bonus, for most it results in some boredom and quick weariness with the strictly average food and restaurants on site. There is a shuttle bus that runs frequently to D-Mall, however the service is spotty and the schedule is inconvenient. Others apparently felt the same way about the lack of things to do because the vans were always booked and crowded going both ways.

The resort doesn't represent good value for money. Basically you are paying luxury resort prices to stay in a chain hotel on the beach. Despite the obvious effort put into design, the whole place has an overblown "Island of Dr. Evil" vibe to it and there are really just too many people to ever obtain the privacy and service you should be getting at this price level. There is a charming private beach that gets quite crowded and overrun with kids throughout the day and a larger neighboring public beach that sees less traffic but has no amenities except a boating centre. Evenings on the resort are quite dead and everyone goes to D'Mall and vicinity where there are good restaurants at all dining levels.

Because of the location out of town,everyone in the resort has breakfast included which means crowds in the dining room and a picked-over buffet unless you arrive early. This place was completed in 2007 or 2008 I believe and already seems like it's running on remote control. Service levels were good but not exceptional with all of the hiccups you'd expect in a resort of this size and sprawl. The less expensive rooms have unimpressive views and require daily walks through service corridors and the mechanics of the hotel although the rooms themselves are pleasant and airy. We enjoyed the negative edge pool looking out over the beach although the main pool is an awkward shape and full of tikki-native-jurassic parkesque bric-a-brac.
I'd recommend this resort to young families who want familiarity and chain-hotel comfort with a small and safe beach to play at.

9 Thank ShanghaiJululu