“It is truly a magnificent experience with impressive service and breathtaking view”

Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I am touched and impressed with the sincere service provided. The arrival welcome was as warm as the departure farewell. I am grateful for the help for arrangements of vans as well as tour of the hotel, sending my family group to the Kalibo airport including the check-in. Special thanks extended to Mr. Daniel, Mr. Roger.M and the cleaning service staff of room 511 to make my stay a memorable one. The superb service coupled with the complete ameneties such as swimming pool, hammock, children playground, adventure room and fitness centre made our stay really enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Wilsus
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed here last week. It's really an awesome stay, staffs were friendly and accomodating. Their restaurants are very flexible to the likings of their customer, I ordered seafood pasta altho they don't have it in their menu they make ones for me. Deluxe room was so big for the two of us. We enjoyed the lagoon-typed swimming pool.

Seeing the sunset view in solana bar (at the top of the cliff) is really romantic and a must do for all the guests.

We will definitely be back in this paradise soon. :)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank winsess
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Like what most people said about the place when you arrive at caticlan airport, its all true. The shangrila personnel will pick you up where you arrive at the hall and help you grab your luggage to a waiting van and send you to a designated shangrila waiting area which is a replica of their hotel! In there its pure luxury really, toilets and service exactly like the hotels, then it will be off in their own boat straight to the hotel. Once we got to the hotel, we were greeted by their manager i reckoned, i think his name was rick and he was doing small talk with us and showing us the better sights of the hotel. The view by far was amazing and the place that we checked into was the Tree House Villa and its nothing short of spectacular, duplex, with the whirpool on the 2nd floor showing the panaromic view of the ocean and from the bedroom and shower room, we always had a full view of the ocean which was breathtaking.

At the villa, we were assigned a butler named Juls, also we could contact him at anytime with a handphone that was given to us too! Juls was impeccable and he constantly took care of us and was at our service at anytime whenever we needed his help with anything. let me add that Juls is the only person turning our entire villa down, packing our room every single day and its very commendable as the villa is huge! And he does it really fast!

As for our meals, we had our dinner in Sirena and Rima. Rima serves fine italian food and Sirena serves seafood. Both restaurant serves excellent food and one thing that was very surprising is that the prices are very reasonable, or you might add, its actually cheap for dining in such a hotel quite honestly. The prices are what we pay in Singapore for regular dining and it was a huge surprise. For example in Rima, we had wagyu beef capachio, my partner had wild mushroom risotto and i had cod fishin pastry and mashed green peas and potato, along with 2 beers, and our total bill was barely 3300 Pesos which works out to be about SGD $110 which is in fact slightly cheaper than what we eat in Singapore. As for Sirena, we had a seafood platter to share which consisted of a huge bbq lobster, fried calamaris, fish, crabs, scallops, king prawns and we had juices and couple of beers as well along with mushroom soup and blue crab soup for starters and the total bill was about SGD $170 or about 5100 pesos which was very reasonable.

lastly i would like add a comment on the previous reviewer commenting about shuttle service. it is true that the shuttle service to D'Mall is about every 2 hours but it isnt inconvenient quite frankly. When we wanted to be picked up at a time not within the stipulated time slots, they picked us up and of course we had to pay, but we had to pay only 150 pesos per person, which is 300 pesos in total, that is only SGD $10 which is not much at all, and quite frankly very reasonable since a regular tuktuk cost about 100 pesos at least!

overall, this place is gorgeous. Me and my partner constantly compared it to The Banyan Tree Ungasan in Bali and quite frankly, both are almost equally matched. For example, the view in Bali is slightly better, but the access to the beach made Shangrila more attractive. Food in both places was wonderful, but the attractive pricing in Shangrila was much better, in addition, transport to the city centre in D'mall was alot more convenient and also cheaper as compared to the banyan tree as well. However getting to Boracay from Singapore aint as easy as flying to Bali so in this case, accessibility to the banyan tree wins in this case.

Finally, like all reviewers said, this place is wonderful, and if you have the money to stay in this place, go for it. Accomodation isnt cheap here, but the low cost of fine food and transport and serenity and the beach more than makes up for it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank volvoc70m
Reviewed May 22, 2010

As a Research Sub-editor with regular clients on an all-year-round basis, it had been several years since I had taken a 'real' holiday, so I visited this resort on the recommendation of a friend, and stayed for a full three-week vacation.

Given that the journey to reach this paradise island can be slightly tedious, I felt that the resort itself might well be better placed somewhere like Phuket or Bali; however, I soon found that the journey was well worthwhile.

The staff were outstanding, and it is clear that much of this was down to the leadership provided by the General Manager, Mr. Mark Kirk. I had several discussions with him during my time there, and he said that he believes that a "firm but fair" approach to all staff members soon develops the 'family' feeling amongst them. This was self-evident, as I was treated with the utmost respect by everyone and felt that they truly made me feel 'at home' throughout my stay there.

The restaurants are outstanding, my particular favourite being 'Vintana' for its breakfast and lunch buffets offering a vast array of choice and some excellent small 'tit-bits', particularly the various types of fish. This is where I was first introduced to 'lapu lapu', the local favourite fish, and one which I will be seeking out now that I have returned to Thailand.

Higher up this hillside resort are the Italian and seafood restaurants (the names of which I forget), but both of which I tried and found to be the ideal spot for a romantic evening for two. Unfortunately, I was travelling alone, but I nevertheless still enjoyed the food immensely.

The resort's private beaches have the whitest sand imaginable, and sun glasses are recommended as the glare can be so strong. This is also the case for the four kilometre 'white beach', which houses the local bar/restaurant area, a short 'tricycle journey' (the local motorbike transport mode) from the resort.

I spent several nights trying out the local cuisine, including a very good Tapas bar, but I have to say that it would be difficult to find anything to compare with the sumptuous food available within the resort. I also found a liking for the national beer 'San Miguel' and no shortage of other visitors to the island to strike up a conversation with.

There is a top quality golf course, 'Fairways and Bluewater', at which I decided to arrange temporary membership and soon found regular playing partners. Unfortunately, the lack of rain for seven months had taken its toll on the course, which was virtually brown everywhere except the greeens. Work is, however, currently underway under the new Golf Manager 'JB' to ensure that the course is able to withstand such drought conditions in future years.

Finally, I was amazed to see how many people gathered on the 'White Sands' seafront area just as dusk was approaching, but the reason was soon obvious. The island produces some of the most amazing sunsets you are ever likely to see anywhere, and I suggest that this is what might make it the ideal romantic spot to make that long planned proposal to a loved one!

I left Boracay with a very strong sense that I could hardly have made a better choice for my first holiday in several years, and indeed, I do have plans to return there in the not-too-distant future, but next time, not on my own! It is a real gem which should be experienced at least once.

George Okrasa
Bangkok

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank GeorgeOBangkok
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We booked Shangri-La just because Friday's (our usual haunt) was full and after seeing the photos online, we were very excited to try it.

Transfer from the airport to the resort and back to the airport could not be better - no more fighting to get your bags in the small airport (their staff pick them up for you) or sweltering on a packed, noisy banca to the beach. Upon leaving the plane you are immediately whisked into their luxury minivan to transfer to their lovely lounge and comfortable speedboat to the resort. On going back to the airport, you rest in their lounge at Caticaln until it's time for check in, then their staff stay with you in case you need anything all the way to the departure lounge. Made me want to book a night in Shangri-La Makati on the way back just so they'd pick up my bags in Manila!

The resort is very beautiful and huge. In fact, it always feels pretty empty since there is such a huge area for guests to explore, so you feel as though the beach is really yours. Their private beach is not powdery white like White Beach, but is still very nice - lots of interesting shells and hermit crabs near the rock face and there is reasonable snorkelling right off the beach, which you can't do on White Beach. Endless swimming pools, whirlpools, jacuzzis etc give you excellent choices for swimming in the shade when it gets too hot in the sun.

We found the kids adventure and play area a God-send - our 6, 4 and 2yr old kids were in there every day and even seemed to prefer it to the beach a lot of the time (they made a lot of friends in there whereas we didn't seem to come across many kids outside).

Food was excellent - among the best I've had in the Philippines after living here for 7 years. I was surprised that their room service and pool menu was quite reasonably priced too - generally P500ish for a main course, which is more or less what you'd pay in a good restaurant in Manila. The buffet was P1200 - expensive for the Philippines but OK by international prices and worth it for a splurge.

There were a few glitches we encountered:
1) The shuttle to White Beach (which you definitely want to visit in the evenings to see the incredible sand sculptures and just walk along drinking in the atmosphere) runs only every 2 hours! Plus you have to book in advance or are in danger of not finding space. Personally, I'd rather have a less luxurious shuttle running every 30-60 minutes than the best possible minivan running infrequently. It meant that we had to plan our day right from the morning so we could book in time to get seats with not much chance to change schedule, so we ended up having to rush the kids to catch the shuttle before they were ready to leave the adventure zone or swimming pool two days running. If you miss it, you've had it for 2 hours which is a bit annoying.

2) Service was slightly hit and miss. Generally excellent but on one occasion I was waiting more than 15 minutes for a box for my little daughter's hotdog when she fell asleep before eating it at the pool. When I checked with the staff after about 10 minutes and asked how much longer it would be, they started talking to each other in Tagalog but nobody told me what the problem was (I'm caucasian and don't understand much Tagalog). A few minutes later it arrived and then I was told they had been waiting for the box, but the golden rule of customer service is to let the customer know what's happening! Had I known they were waiting for a box, I would not have minded but being kept waiting for 15 minutes for no apparent reason and then not being told why even when I asked was pretty poor service for a hotel of this calibre. There were a couple of other instances of slow or incorrect service, but also many instances of excellent service beyond our expectation (e.g. at the airport).

3) For some reason, the hot and cold directions of the faucets in the bathroom were inconsistent. For the sinks and bathtub, you moved the faucet to the left for hot water, for the shower you moved it to the right. So we thought the hot water in the shower was not working since when we turned it the same way as the sinks, it was cold (and it takes a long time for the hot water to come through so when we turned it to the right just in case, it still ran cold). We reported it to the fruit delivery guy who happened to come along at the same time and he said he'd send an engineer to check. But no engineer came and we had to call again a few hours later. Just a minor inconvenience.

4) Although the beds were very comfortable, the sofa bed (which we had to use since we were 3 adults and 4 kids) was very uncomfortable! Not at all the standard we'd expect. There are many comfortable sofa beds available - quite why they chose this one was beyond me.

All in all, Shangri-La was a wonderful experience with some areas for improvement, the biggest of which is the shuttle. If the shuttle service improved between Shangri-La and White Beach, I'd choose Shangri-La again. But since it's quite inconvenient at the moment, if it has not changed by the time we're ready to book next time, we may return to White Beach.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank ilovephils
Reviewed May 16, 2010

The term "hidden gem" couldn't more accurately describe the Shangri La Boracay, unless we insert the word "precious" in the middle of that term! This resort and spa is close to brand new (many rooms have never been used), it is a stunningly beautiful property, and we felt as though there may have been more staff on the property than guests!! And, we went at a desireable time weather-wise.

We flew from Manila to the nearest island, Caticlan, from which cute, tiny airport we were wisked away by Shangri La staff to a well-appointed Shangri La lodge to await our Shangri La speed boat to the resort property on the adjacent island of Boracay. The entire experience from getting off the plane in Caticlan to arriving at the resort property was superb, with outstandingly attentive and friendly service, and a bit of a fun adventure too. Then we were met at the resort's dock by a wonderfully gracious staff member, who greeted us by name, drove us by buggy to our room, and there introduced us to our equally gracious butler who took over from there.

We splurged on what the resort calls a "loft villa" -- a 1 br, 1.5 bath expansive two-story dwelling that came with our own private infinity plunge pool, butler service (manned with a pager to serve day and night), outdoor cabana, indoor/outdoor showers -- which made the experience all the more non-forgetable; but one needn't splurge so much to enjoy this magnificent sea-side island property. The property boasts two artistically designed sprawling swimming pools, a gorgeous private cove beach with restaurant/bar service, another beach shared with another resort, the cleanest best-equipped healthclub I've ever used, several terrific restaurants, a fabulous spa, stunningly beautiful grounds, and consistently attentive service ... almost to a fault. As you stroll the property, each staff member you pass steps to the side and stops (even if it's not necessary for you to pass) and greets you with a smile and a friendly greeting. The only flaw my partner and I could find in our 3 night stay is that, after a few days, the "good morning, sirs" greeting by the very present staff became almost tedious after a while when we'd pass, say, 10 staffers over the course of a 4 minute walk! The villas are pricey (with taxes and fees, roughly $1300/night), but we're now planning a trip to Europe and cannot find any accommodations on that continent that BOTH rival the Shangri La Boracay in quality/beauty AND are available for as little as $1300/night. Note that this resort also offers "regular" rooms for far less. It truly is a tremendous value.

I've stayed in a few world-class hotels in my lifetime, and I must say without hesitation that, so far, this one tops my list.

Last two points:

1. If you're going to go, go sooner than later. I can't imagine that Shangri La can afford to staff so heavily this sprawling property with the limited number of guests we noticed during our visit in the "busy season." My guess is that either this place will get discovered, become crowded and thus less appealing, or the service/facilities will begin to wane from cutbacks. Just a guess, but I wouldn't rely too heavily on this review, say, two years from now.

2. For LGBT travellers, the staff could not have been more warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelLover23456
Reviewed May 13, 2010

In less than 6 months, I have stayed at the Boracay Shangrila twice already. That says a lot given that it isn't a bargain to book a 3D/2N stay. I absolutely love the experience. From the moment you land in Caticlan to your check in at your room, you are treated like royalty. The deluxe room has a fantastic view of the sea. The infinity pool with pockets of jacuzzi spouts where you can just lounge makes you don't want to swim in the beach anymore. When you call in for room service, there is always a call back after to ensure that you have gotten what you requested for. The staff is friendly. The breakfast buffet is plentiful and changes everyday. Overall, it's just a pleasant experience to stay at this hotel. It reminds me of the 5 star resort hotels in Bali, from the look of the hotel, to the world class service. The location, though, is far from the main beach. And it can be quite a ride especially in the wee hours of the morning when you've partied hard on the main beach. But the location also provides a much needed respite from the maddening crowd. The peace and quiet is the premium one pays for, on top of the pampering and the feeling you don't want to leave the place anymore. I have promised myself to go there at least once a year.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple