“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotel is nice, we had a standard room which had a very nice bathroom and a large balcony directly over the beach. When there are private functions on the beach it is noisy, often with loud music. but that didnt bother us.

The biggest problem we had was with the food, it was way below standard and not what we expected. I agree with a previous reviewer that it is ridiculous to call Rima (Italian Restaurant) fine dining, as it certainly isn't. Its a nice location set high in the trees and with a cosy atmosphere, unfortunately I had to send my main course back twice, the lamb was raw and after a 20 minute wait, during which time my husband finished his meal, i was given something that was so overlooked I couldn't even cut it. I gave up and went without ... The manager tried to placate me with a free glass of wine and a dessert (of his choice!)

It didnt end here, the following evening we ate in the fish restaurant (Sirena) the food was ok but we had amazing service as the food and beveridge director personally came and spoke to us following our previous complaint. We felt better about the situation and thought we had been unlucky so far.

On New Years Eve the beach party was cancelled as the weather was wet so we managed to secure a table in the fish restaurant as we decided this was the safest bet. Wrong Decision! We chose the 5 course Lobster menu which was the special menu for the evening. It was awful. The lobster was tasteless and poorly cooked, it was poorly presented and the service didnt resemble anything like the service we had the previous evening. We didnt complain, we were tired of that. We just decided never to return.

Its worth mentioning that the Spa was pretty poor too. We had a couples massage, we were both asked for our preferences. These were then totally ignored and we got a standard off the shelf massage. This was not professionally done as the pressure was inconsistent, varying from non existent to painful! I read another reviewer comments that they begged for paper underwear, after asking I was just told 'keep your own underwear on or take it off!' I made a complaint about the whole experience but it was never followed up.

This is an expensive hotel and not with the money! Borocay town is a dump! There is a bun fight to get the shuttle bus back from DMall as there are never enough seats. My advice is dont bother going into town.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DartmoorBarnOwl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed January 5, 2014

From arrival to departure everything was smooth. You forget the rest of Boracay once you are in the resort. The staff are always cheerful and helpful. Most of the waiters are knowledgeable. Great service!

Room Tip: I think Shangri-la Boracay should consider leaving a reminder for the regular rooms stayers to close...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

San Diego, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Yes, highly recommend Shangrila, even it's exorbitant in price. You get what you pay for. Loved the exclusiveness and privacy compared to other hotels around the area. All service personnel really cater well.

Room Tip: Got the deluxe ocean view. Super nice and lovely!

1 Thank Bernie W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Yes it is expensive and hard place to get to but worth all of it!! Apparently 100% occupancy before Xmas so am glad we missed the rush. Our second time here and brought friends who are in awe of our surroundings. It is not a place for shopping(borocay town has your usual crafts and Asian made clothing) but the beach, service and amenities are enough for a relaxing holiday. Please don't forget to tip- the wages here are so low and they really deserve it!

• Stayed January 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I've never enjoyed my stay in Boracay as i did this time. The staff were the best, food was to die for! To think that i didn't even get to play golf to have really been this satisfied! Keep up the job

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We paid a large sum in March 2014 to have the Villa on the beach as well as rooms for 25 guests from overseas, and were not given the Villa because another guest had checked in before we did. We were told over the phone that the Villa on the beach would be given to us, but upon arrival, we were greeted by the Villa Manager who was defensive in his response to our concern, saying that "Reservations does not guarantee any particular Villas" when in fact over the phone the reservations agent said that we would have the Villa by the beach.

I also work in hospitality and the best response generally should be along the lines of "I apologise for the confusion, there isn't much I can do now, however I will try to make up for this by....." This was not the response we got from the Villa Manager. This was the second time we've been to Shangrila Boracay, because the first time we had an amazing experience. We only had to speak to one person and that was our Butler. This time we had to speak to 5 different people about different things and they didn't give us the Villa we originally booked and paid for.

6 Thank aussiemanila
Amit O, General Manager at Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Aussiemanila, thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. While we do not confirm villa numbers we do ensure guests stay in villas of their choice by offering options. I would like to discuss this further with you through email. You may contact me directly at amit.oberoi@shangri-la.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Shangri-La with our 3 daughters (aged 4, 6 & 8) for the week before Christmas. We had a lovely stay. We were in a family suite and found it comfortable. We honestly were not in it very much as we spent our time enjoying the resort. The staff are truly friendly and helpful. The waiters and guys working around the pool/beach were so accommodating and hard-working. The pool is lovely and we didn't have any trouble getting chairs whenever we went down, but I can see how it might be difficult when the hotel is full. We enjoyed both beaches. Our daughters enjoyed snorkeling and looking at the fish and coral. They had fun in the sand, and we had nice walks along it as well. We rented a kayak for an hour and my family enjoyed that. Quite honestly, I think that non-motorized leisure equipment should be available at no charge at the Shangri-La. I can't say enough about the lovely people working in the Kids' Club. We had trouble getting our girls to leave! They enjoyed the activities and the slides. It was a nice reprieve for them when they needed a break from the heat and sun. I understood the need for socks in the Kids' club, but didn't quite understand the rule about wearing long sleeves on the slides. As a very well-traveled person who has stayed at every possible star rating of hotel from the Ritz-Carlton to hostels, I honestly don't understand the complaints about the breakfast at the Shangri-La. They have everything covering Western tastes, Asian fare, vegetarian options, healthy food, not-so-healthy food (ice-cream!!). It was all presented tastefully and all of the staff were friendly and accommodating. Our whole family left the breakfast feeling full and satisfied on all 7 days that we were there. The food at the other restaurants was also good. Some items seemed expensive (and I live in Singapore where eating out always requires a bank loan!) but, when I consider the location of the hotel and the process it must take to get fresh food items out there, I guess I can understand it. Our family tried the Grill night out on the beach one evening, and we enjoyed that. The hotel is isolated and, after going in to D'Mall and walking along White Beach, we appreciated it. The hotel location would not be suitable for people who are looking to be in the midst of hustle and bustle, but we loved the quiet tranquility. It is a bit of a process getting to Boracay itself. We had a direct flight to Kalibo, and had the hotel arranged our transfer to the island/hotel. We are very thankful that we did this as it was very convenient, and our driver was friendly and helpful. It took us 2 hours to get from the airport to the boat jetty. Luckily our girls handled it well enough but, this could be a long drive with younger kids. The private boat jetty was a lovely little touch, and the 20 minute speed-boat ride to the hotel was quick and easy. The awaiting staff and cart whisked us away to our room and the check-in process completed in our room was quick and convenient. We arranged for the transfer back to Kalibo on our way home as well. Although we had to wait for the boat and our van for a bit, we made it to the airport in 1.5 hours (drive time). We weren't expecting the Shangi-La staff member to be waiting for us at the airport and it was such a nice convenience to have him there. He helped us navigate the chaos of the Kalibo airport departure area. He stayed with us through the lines, check-in (at which he helped us get convenient seats on the plane) and immigration. Overall, we all left feeling relaxed, spoiled and happy.

Room Tip: The family suite accommodated 2 adults and 3 young kids well.
1 Thank PJMomof3