“Best place to stay”

Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed July 12, 2012

went there last June and from the moment we landed from the airport until we checked in to our room,you could feel that you are being cared and pampered. You could feel that every staff is well trained to do their job well. Room is superbly clean and well designed. Food is great. Going to the Mall is easy because they have van service., and even at the mall,they have their staff to assist their guest. The place is wonderfully landscaped,pool is super great. You have that feeling of wanting to stay longer or stop the time to savor all the beauty,the God-blessed nature and the excellent service of the staff. It can cost higher than others but if you can afford it, its worth it!

Room Tip: Try to know the nearest station of their service cart to your room upon check in so it will save you...
6  Thank Josephine F

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Great place, wonderful staff, fantastic food, spectacular pool-villa. I stayed her with my wife for 5 nights. We sure come back. Normally we stayed in Regency or Fridays, but wanted to try the new Shangri-La. No regrets. The only thing is it takes a while to get to D-Mall area and the other resorts it is a short walk.

4  Thank Mike-Pollo
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel location takes your breath away and the hotel and service is outstanding.
Everything is perfect, the room, the view, the staff, the food in the on site restaurants.
It is hard to get to, but worth every bit of it and can't recommend this hotel more!! If you want a week in paradise, this is it!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GabrielleJanuary
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I loved this resort so much. I loved the location, I loved the pools and beach, and most of all I loved our Loft Villa and plunge pool. The Loft Villa was nothing short of amazing and we were fortunate to stay there for 4 nights. The design was incredible and the the patio area was such a wonderful place to relax or have a meal. The furnishings were ethnic, comfortable, and well maintained, except maybe for the sisal rugs. I had no idea how much I would love the patio, pool, and outdoor shower. The shower had 2 wooden windows that you could open up to take in the views. Plus it had hot and cold water. The porch next to the plunge pool, just beyond the pergola with dining area, had 2 very comfortable lounge chairs and large umbrella. Rocks lined the side of the infinity pool and as water trickled over the edge and down the side, made for a lovely water feature when you sat there. Such a nice detail. Our bed was very comfortable and the view from the upstairs bedroom was equally stunning, especially when the sliding doors were retracted. We also loved the lanai off the masterbedroom that overlooked the pool. The Villa had a small galley kitchen area with an undercounter refrigerator stocked with complimentary (soda, beer, juices, milk) and non complimentary drinks (Perrier, Evian). Unfortunately the refrigerator was never really cold enough. I asked the butler to take a look at it and they came immediately to try to fix the problem, but never really did but I just didn't want to make a fuss. Any other item that was not in working order, they immediately replaced (clock, ipod dock). There was also a Nespresso cappuccino machine which took some getting used to before we could make our coffee in the morning. 2 butlers and a Youtube video (from the free wireless internet) and we finally were able to figure it out. What a treat to have cuppucino and fresh mangoes outside on the veranda first thing in the morning! I loved how environmentally conscious the resort was. They had glass bottles of purified water (still and sparkling) that were produced at the resort and placed throughout the villa. There were used instead of .5L plastic disposable water bottles. They were dated with the time of production as well so you knew how old the water was.

We were a family of 4 (2 children ages 12 and 16) so they set up a twin bed downstairs and opened up the sleep sofa. The sleep sofa was adequate for my 85 lb daughter but would probably not suffice if you were an adult. At our request, they left the sleep sofa open as a bed, but there was another loveseat in the living room if you wanted to sit down. We never wanted to sit indoors when we had the incredible space outside. The Wi-fi signal, though weak, was still available outside in all areas of the patio. The room was very clean and our butler did an excellent job keeping it neat and stocked though he couldn't quite remember to stock Diet vs. regular Coke.

The pools were so extensive and gorgeous. We spent hours swimming between pools and finding all the little alcoves that had lounger and jets built in them. The beach adjacent to pools was very clean with fish swimming in the water. It was clear and blue with nice waves and no undertow. There were lifegaurds everywhere and they were always vigilent. Sometimes it was a little hard to get the attention of someone from the bar to get drink orders but when Laud from the beach bar was working, he always remembered us made himself available. You walk through a small arch just behind the pools to reach the other semi-private beach with the water sports. We went to Boracay in late June and the resort was only at 50% capacity so no one was really at this beach though they still had a lifegaurd present. Sadly there was quite a bit of trash that had washed up on this beach. The previous days, they had workmen cleaning up the beach and raking seaweed and trash up but they just couldn't keep up with the tides. This was such a shame to see. Fortunately, the trash wasn't visible from balconies as this was the beach that our villa overlooked.

We felt very safe on the resort. There were security gaurds everywhere. We almost always walked the stairs to our villa from the main building and we would pass no less than 3 or 4 gaurds. Everyone was so pleasant and friendly and would always greet you. The staff at the Shang are just so lovely, they are wonderful to be around, are very eager to fill your request, and very willing to help. They are what make this resort such wonderful place to visit.

We had breakfast every morning at the buffet in Ventana and it was sensational. We ate so much and there was a nice variety each day. The fruit was amazing and the juice bar was incredible. There were so many choices. They had the freshest tasting orange and mango juice that I have ever had. I had a slice of pizza, ube ice cream, noodle soup, and Filipino specialties every morning. The food was so good and we ate so much that we only had to eat dinner later in the day. We had dinner at the seafood restaurant which was good but very pricey, dinner at Ventana once which we really enjoyed, and dinner brought to our villa which was very good and set up on the table so beautifully. Outside from the breakfast, I would rate the food at the resort as good to very good. One note: both my husband and son ordered the ceasar's salad one evening and had no untoward effects (being that we are from the states and they warn tourists not to eat raw vegetables).

Going during low season, really had its advantages. It was so uncrowded so it was even more relaxing. We rarely had neighbors on either side of our villa. The pool area was peaceful and it wasn't difficult to find available lounge chairs. Restaurants were near empty and very quiet. We were able to book a family spa treatment at Chi where all 4 of us could fit and have a massage at the same time. They had an early bird discount where it was 20% less if you had your service done before 11 am so we gave it a try. The facility was so beautiful and quiet, and empty! We had a private family bugalow with dressing area,bathroom, steam room, shower, pool, patio, and outdoor tub. My daughter and I had a massage and facial for 2 hours and my husband and son had a 2 hour massage. It was such a nice treat. .

Before leaving for Boracay, I read so much about the resort on Tripadvisor so I would know what to expect. One little disappointment, though no fault of the Shang, was that we were not able to arrive or leave directly from the private boat jetty on the resort. With safety being a priority, and the winds and seas not cooperating, we had to take the resort speedboat from the pier near the airport to a pier at The Fairways Golf Resort, then take another van from that resort to the Shangri-La. Their staff at the airport were so very incrediible. When we departed the resort and arrived at the lounge at the pier, they informed us that our flight from Caticlan on PhilAir Express had been cancelled and that the airline would provide tranportation from Caticlan airport to Kalibo airport almost 2 hours away. John Allan from the Shangri-La was so helpful at the airport speaking with airline reps, finding costs for alternative flights on different airlines so that we could get back to Manila in time, and he stayed with us until we could decide what to do. We left the facilities and caring hands of the resort, decided to fly out of Kalibo with PhilAir Express, sat in their dingy lounge (we couldn't help but giggle at the difference), then went on our way. How surprised we were as our van approached Kalibo airport, to see Shangri-La staff descend upon us to assist us with our bags and make sure we arrived at the correct gate. We thought we had left everyone at the Shang behind in Caticlan. Amazing! We will definitely be back when we travel to the Philippines.

Room Tip: We stayed in Loft Villa 26. It had a lovely unobstructed view and is perched high on a hill. There...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Cecilia D
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This resort is simply perfection. . There is no other way to describe.
I always thought that the service at resorts in Asia was excellent, but this place takes service to another level.
From the moment we arrived at the airport to the moment we checked out it was one good surprise after another.

ARRIVING/ LOCATION - outstanding. We arrived at the Caticlan Airport and were taken to Shangri-la's lounge while we waited for our transfer. The boat takes you directly to the resort and contrary to other resorts you don't need to take a boat, then a car/taxi to get to your destination. From the moment you meet them at the airport you don't have to worry about your luggage or anything else. They take care of everything and are always one step ahead.
The resort has 2 beaches ( one private and one semi- private). The water is crystal clear and fish swim around you!

SERVICE- This was by far what surprised me most. Everybody is very friendly so willing to make your holiday memorable. There is no fake smile, they were so genuine!

One morning during breakfast my friend wrote a comment in the comment card that she couldn't find the cheese bread which she had tried in the previous morning. In that same day around 12 noon when we were lounging on the beach one of the managers ( I wish I could remember his name) stop by and apologize because they didn't have the bread that morning. He then gave her a bag with freshly baked cheese bread just baked for her! That is what I call AMAZING SERVICE.
I don't even know how he knew we were at the beach and who we were... and to bring warm freshly baked bread it was unbelievable. That was not all, the following mornings as soon as we sat down to have breakfast the waiter would bring the warm bread to our table.
Keeping in mind that this is a big resort, I couldn't believe how personalized the service was.

One night we went to the Italian restaurant ( which I highly recommend) and we were not in the mood for dessert. However they brought us some dessert samples . " The chef said he doesn't want you to go home without dessert " the waiter told us . WOW!
Next day we went to their seafood restaurant and the food took a little longer than usual to come. We didn't complain because we were having wine and talking, and to be honest we didn't even noticed but they brought each of us a dessert to apologize for the waiting .

ROOMS- Very clean, and have all the amenities you expect. I love the fact that everyday they refill 2 liters of water and don't charge extra for that. There were also fresh fruits. And the toiletries were L'Occitane. The BEST part was the "free" wireless internet throughout the resort
We all know that nothing is actually "free" but it is great when they don't overcharge you as many hotels do...

BREAKFAST - Amazing buffet. They have everything you can possibly want. And in case they don't, you just have to ask. I found very creative that they had a mini breakfast buffet for kids with a low table so small children can reach, mini cup cakes and children favorite foods ...

SPA - the Chi Spa was spectacular. The spa consists of many individual villas so you don't have to share the changing room, sauna,etc. You have a villa just for you with your very own changing room, jacuzzi, sauna, shower etc. Extremely private, which I really really appreciated!
I had a 2 hour massage and it was very good.

RESTAURANTS -we went to the seafood and Italian, both were great but the Italian was simply perfect. The chef is from ( surprise!) Italy, and the food is to die for. I had the trio fish carpaccio and prawn risotto.

GYM- The gym surprised me (again!). It is very spacious and all the equipment were updated/ knew.

KIDS CLUB/ACTIVITIES : I noticed that they had a kids club or indoor playground, it is a great place for kids. And they also had activities for adults.

Overall It was one of the best holidays of my life. This is a great place for couples, families with children and friends.
No matter how picky or selective you are, I can assure you, you will wish you didn't have to go home.

11  Thank Wonderfulworld2009
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Pure luxury. I stayed at Villa 24 for two nights early May and I absolutely loved it. Flawless and friendly service, stunning view from the villa's infinity pool, small and tranquil private beach, tasteful design throughout the resort, high-quality cuisine...It's expensive but it's worth every penny.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank sami_aknine
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Dear travelers, this hotel is stunning, but I never would booked such an expensive hotel if it were not for my difficult situation. Originally I had booked and paid White Beach de Boracay hotel, but despite all the positive reviews on this site, it was the worst hotel like a flophouse for the homeless. And to avoid spoiled holiday for my family, I moved to the Shangri-la's Hotel. This hotel is fabulous. When we came to have breakfast my daughter started to applaud for pleasure. It was a real feast. There was a free shuttle bus to the white beach every 30 minutes and we had the opportunity to have dinner there on a more democratic prices. The staff was fantastic. Our room was so good that we didn't even want to leave it and go to the sea. The only problem is that in other countries such as Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia are available similar hotels and you can live there twice cheaper than here. You can only see the filth and poverty outside the hotel. There was a very good children room, my daughter spent many hours there. They offered free tea and beverages on the beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family