“Nice, Small and Beachfront Hotel”

Zuzuni Boutique Hotel
Ranked #18 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
“Nice, Small and Beachfront Hotel”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

A friend and i stayed in Zuzuni for 4 days and 3 nights last holyweek 2014 in one of the two premier rooms. Room - nice and clean, beddings and pillows - white sheet and clean. Bath - small and nice but somehow has a very weird smell. View - nice beachfront - you can see all the people, all the by passers in boracay. Location - perfect near the D Mall. Food - very limited they serve small portions.
Beach beds - they should buy those made in plastic not comfortable to use made of wood kinda heavy also i find it very unhygienic because those beds they convert into tables during dinner time, also they only have prolly 6 beds which cant accommodate all the guests.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Firstly, the location is perfect. Step straight onto the sand. Hotel itself seemed clean and comfortable. We were in a first floor beach-facing room. The bathroom was a disappointment. The toilet seat was broken and the attempt to fix it was nothing short of a joke. Furthermore there were unpleasant odors from the bathroom from time to time. This really needs fixing. Filipino staff were all very friendly - European management less so. Breakfast was an attempt to be trendy, which, in my opinion failed. Why not offer something more standard - even continental breakfast was something I'd never witnessed before. Come on - it's nice to have something familiar when you crawl out of bed, even if only one of the options. An extra cup of coffee - that'll be another 50 pesos. Similarly if you want butter AND jam. I've never witnessed that before. Orange juice was said to be fresh but who'd have known it! I have to say that tapas in the evening were great. The Internet was intermittent. Maybe that was out of their control - but no such indication was made when faults were reported. The beach loungers would have been a whole lot better if mattresses had been available. I bought an air bed in the market, but needless to say it got a puncture on the first day (not the hotel's problem, I agree, but it wouldn't have been necessary, were there mattresses available). This hotel could be really great with more attention to detail, and I can't help but think the main issue is that the management don't try hard enough. They never seemed friendly or caring about guests' experiences (I'd have thought they were French if I didn't know they were Spanish!) Boracay is great and we definitely plan to return. I'd love to think some of these issues might be addressed.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a window.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank simonjh
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I saw this hotel when we were casually walking on the beach, and decided to stay there for one night.
We had a room with balcony facing the beach. The glass door has very good sound proof and we did not have problem with noise. The room was very clean and new, and design was very hip and modern.
It was a bit small though... Not enough room to open cabin size suitcase and no space in bathroom for toiletries.
Breakfast was delicious.
Overall it was a nice boutique hotel. I like it!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank McDuen
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed 7 nights in Boracay at Zuzuni Boutique Hotel on a recommendation of a friend who had visited on previous occasions.

Pros:
Great, friendly staff, very helpful and eager to please.

Located at White Beach, Station 1,Boracay, cannot get better as its right in the middle of all the activity and lots of bars and restaurants within a short walking distance of the hotel.

Beach and sea is literally on the doorstep of the hotel. The hotel provides a few sun loungers that double up as dining tables for evening restaurant use. (more on this below) Quite often due to the closeness of other hotels the Zuzuni loungers are often occupied by other non resident guests but staff are very good to tell them to move for Zuzuni residents.

Zuzuni has 13 rooms and are basic in design and furnishings. Five rooms offer seaviews, Rooms 1&2 are classified as premier beachfront with balcony and are located on 1st floor and Rooms 6,7,8 are classified as beachfront with balcony. All other rooms are called standard and some do not have windows so can be dark and gloomy!

As we were traveling as a group of friends, we had book three different rooms so we experienced three different levels of comfort.

Personally I stayed in a beachfront with balcony after being advised that the two premier beachfront/balcony rooms were already booked (one by a couple in our group)

My room was small in size with the queen size bed taking up all the space of the room. It was difficult to find space to store a small carry on suitcase. The built in wardrobe was also too small that the coat hangers often prevented the doors from closing properly.

Bed is very comfortable, pillows could be better as they were foam fillings and not my preference.

Bathroom was poorly designed. Door opened into anyone standing by the washbasin and did not have any place to put personal items. The bath towels were hung on a rack above the toilet and no other hooks provided in the bathroom for wet or used towels. Toiletries provided was one small bar of soap and one small tube of shampoo. Window in bathroom did not have curtain or blind so anyone in the bedroom can see into the toilet/shower.

The best feature of this room is the balcony. It is large and offered great views of the beach/sea. It was big enough to seat 6 people comfortably and every evening after lounging on the beach it was a great place to gather and have a few drinks before heading off to dinner. This balcony is larger than the more expensive premier rooms.

The hotel restaurant Cozina serves great spanish food and is highly recommended.

Cons:
Noise! The hotel has very poor room sound proofing. I could hear conversations, coughing and ‘leisure’ activities in rooms on either side of me. I often had to turn up the TV to drown out the unwanted noise. Also noise from the nearby bars go on till about 12:30 every night (later on weekends?)

Curtains/blinds: not very well maintained and did not offer any help in keeping out the light.

Safes are provided in all rooms but one may question the ’safety’ as they are the small and are not properly bolted to the location. The first room I stayed in had the safe located in the lower level of the wardrobe and was not secured to the floor. You could literally pick the safe up and walk away with it. Also no instructions provided on how to operate the safe and everyone in our group had to get the hotel staff to open their own safe with the master key at some point during our stay. One of the staff even gave the master key to one of our group members as we were requesting for them to reset the safe codes so often as we were having problems opening closing them (another safety concern!)

Sun loungers that double up as dining tables! Ingenious as this may be, I do not find it very hygienic as there are no table cloth during the evening service. I could see sun lotion and remnants of ‘guess’ what else on the surface. I know we were eating off (hopefully) clean plates and cutlery but I did envisage body fluids and stuff on the table!

Unstable wifi. Not very good signals on 1st and 2nd floor took forever to download any emails or open any webpages.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 2 are larger, 6,7,8 are much smaller but have better balconies. Avoid any rooms with...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank MaxSpark
JasmineBoracay, Manager at Zuzuni Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post you review. We have taken note of all your concerns and recommendations to improve our hotel, restaurant and service. Rest assured that all the safety concerns are also being addressed.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My friends have stayed at Zuzuni before so it was recommended to us. Its located right at the centre of the hustle and bustle of the beach scene, near a very popular massage parlour (350 php for one hour of good pampering) just outside the hotel, very near to dmall, and even has two small convenience stores next to it. Good location, although I would have preferred to be further up the beach (nearer Willy's Rock) where there are more beach space infront of the hotels.

The balconied rooms over looking the beach are well worth the higher rate, and beware there a few internal rooms with no windows, so if this bothers you, do enquire. As for noise levels, I think all the beach front hotels will suffer the same, as there are many restaurants and bars on the beach that plays loud music until about 12.30/ 1 am, but then it does stop.

Zuzuni has a restaurant (spanish flavour) on the ground floor, and they do great fruit shakes perfect for afternoon drinks. We had a great dinner here one evening, do order the delicious paella and cheese balls if you are eating here.

The great thing about Zuzuni is that all the staffs are very friendly, very efficient daily turn around of cleaning and refreshing your rooms with clean towels etc. but for their mid to high-end pricing I would expect a little more consideration in a few areas. Hence my overall 'Average' rating of this hotel.

For a boutique hotel of this quality I was disappointed to learn that the inclusive breakfast menu only allows for a one drink option, so its either a fruit juice, or tea, or coffee. if you want juice and tea/ coffee, one of them will incur an extra charge, and two coffees will incur a charge for the second cup. This seem to me rather petty, I would have expected all in and certainly second cups should be complimentary at breakfast. The orange juice when I did order one was not even freshly squeezed, it tasted like diluted concentrates.

The sun loungers the hotel provides were very disappointing also, they were made of hard wood, which are very uncomfortable to lie on. Worse still these sun loungers are converted into outdoor dining tables (ingenious rather like Transformers) for the evening. This in itself is not a bad thing, but they do not cover it up with table cloths which makes the dinner tables feel rather un hygienic at meal time. Infact a couple of mornings we did find stains of chocolate and berries on a couple of the then converted loungers, which we had to asked the staff to clean up. The limited space infront of the hotel only allows for about 7 said loungers.

The complimentary wifi was a good inclusion, although after 2 days, we were only able to get reliable signal when on the ground floor in the restaurant. The first and second floor had no signal, and despite many enquiries to the staff, we saw no improvement for the last few days.

The beds were very comfortable, clean sheets, air con works a treat, in room safe, the bathroom could use with more shelving, the wooden skeleton of a sofa in rooms 1 and 2 could do with seating cushions. The toilet seat and lids could be improved with better fittings or replaced with better models, ours was threatening to dislocate from the base from day one, and despite having it seen to by a member of the staff, no improvement can be made as it was not a cosmetic issue, but a quality issue.

I would still recommend the hotel, but I feel that there are many small, un costly things that the hotel can do to elevate its 'boutique' status.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank KFbear
Thank you for your review and we have taken note of your recommendations to further improve our hotel, restaurant and service. The wifi connection though is a technical problem. the main service provider was down due to some fiber optic problem and the fiber optic splicing cannot be rushed so it took days to fix. We do accommodate and grant guests requests and act on it as soon as possible. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My friends and I are currently staying at Zuzuni. What a gorgeous boutique hotel which has just been remodelled.
Today we went to Bite Club Burger Grill for lunch and now I am laying in bed with serve food poisening. The Zuzuni staff noticed that I wasnot with my friends at dinner time and asked why. The next minute the Zuzuni staff member knocked on my door with natural medication to help relieve my pain. A real life saver as I was not capable of walking down to the chemist! Thanks guys!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Zwaters
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Loved this place. Stayed in the two story loft. Check out the great restaurant downstairs too. Food is great and service is top notch. Great food, beds, air conditioning, pillows and big showers. The location is in the heart if everything. Everything you need is either 100 yards to the right or left.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends