“Hotel Review....and something for the golfers”

Fairways & Bluewater
Ranked #26 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
luxembourg
“Hotel Review....and something for the golfers”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

A hotel review and something for the golfers...because I couldn't find much info before travelling...

Transportation: The shuttle service from Caticlan Airport cost 1300 Pesos for two passengers (approx €25). It consists of a short bus ride from the airport, a boat ferry crossing (10 mins) and a further short bus ride at the other side. It's well worth doing, you are escorted by a member of the complex, it's hassle free and they look after you.

Resort: Rooms are in good condition, we had a suite which had a view onto the 8th green of the gof course. You are charged for use of the wifi which is a bit dissapointing and it's a little slow at times. Room was cleaned daily, sometimes quite late and the toiletries were a little sparse..one toilet roll at a time etc.

Each hotel block has a 24 hour "house keeper" and security guard, so it's pretty safe and has good service. There's a constant shuttle service to/from the Hotel reception, so if you dont feel like walking, you can normally always hitch a ride on one of the buses.

The hotel reception area is well maintained, there are seperate desks for services/hotel/cashier, they are always well manned and you rarely have to queue for anything.

The breakfast terrace has a nice atmosphere, unfortunately food was a big dissapointment. The menu changed daily, five or six local dishes which weren't great quality and fresh fruit juices which was powder mixed with water. Our saviour was the egg bar, where you could have an omelette made from a limited choice of fillings.....I gave up in the end, skipping the breakfast on the last day.

The pool area had a great view of the sea but was a little tired as was the beach located next to the hotel. My wife spent the first day sunbathing there and ended up with lots of gnat bites, as did other hotel guests. If you want to spend time on the beach, it's advised to take the shuttle bus into town to D'mall and walk to the beach front which is far superior with crystal clear waters.

The hotel staff are exceptional, one of the main reasons I've given a four rating. Donell seems to organise the shuttle services, hovering around the reception area, Chris pours some reasonable cocktails (with some more of that powdered stuff!) and Michael manages the golf course. Just three mentioned here, but everyone is really friendly, helpful and make you feel welcome.

The shuttle service to town runs every hour until around 11pm. The taxi service (bike with side car cost approx €4) The restaurants in town are pretty good, well stocked with seafood. However, if you want the ultimate seafood experience, you need to visit the fish market where you can haggle over live seafood, purchase your goods, then take to one of the nearby restaurants who will cook for you in a range of spices/sauces....we did this for most of the holiday. It's a bit tricky to find, but you can contact me for further info and I'll try and give detailed directions.

Golf Course.....
My wife prefers sunbathing on the beach, i"m a golf fanatic, so booking the hotel seemed like a good compromise.

I tried to research on the course before travelling, but the information was very limited. The reviews I could find appeared to be fairly negative about the course condition, so I wasn't expecting too much......well, I was pleasantly suprised! The course 6700yds off the blue tees was well maintained, there's very little heavy rough, the fairways and greens are all in good condition. It appears that the hotel has been taken on by new ownership and they have already ploughed several million into course improvements.There are no hidden surprises here, it's very much "what you see is what you get". There's only one drivable par four (managed it once when wind assisted), all the other par 4/5 are a good smack off the tee, with some interesting dog-legs. They've done a lot of work improving the fairway bunkers and are now working on the greenside bunkers, some of them were still GUR.

The front nine are located on the same level as the hotel, the back nine are located further up the hill with some terrific views of the coastline.

I never had to book my round, the course was almost empty, took me average 2h 45m per round with the compulsory buggy and caddy. The caddies drive you around the course, provide you with accurate yardages and are pretty good at reading the putts (most of the time). Well worth the €8 they charge, although I always gave a tip.

Cost:

Golf Round : €50
Buggy: €25
Club Hire: €18
Caddy: €8

NOTE: Hotel residence get half price golf..normally it's €100 per round!

My biggest complaint about the course were some of the pin postions. At times, it felt like we were playing the final round of the Masters, with pins placed agonisingly on brows of big slopes...you miss the hole and it's curtains!! I did complain about this, hopefully they will take note and be more reasonable in the future.

I know there are big plans to develop more hotels and restaurant complexes near the upper part of the back nine, so I guess the golf will become more crowded in the future.

I'll add some pictures of the course, couldn't find much on the internet.

Hope the review helps!

Contact if you need some advice.
Andy Salter
salter.andy@yahoo.co.uk

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luxinator
Marketing_Fairways, Marketing at Fairways & Bluewater, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
A pleasant day and thank you for the comprehensive review you have provided us. As of the moment, we are already upgrading and renovating most of the resort so better and bigger facilities and services are underway as well. We hope that you get to see those changes soon. Have a great day ahead!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I'm still here at the hotel as I am writing this review. I have no complaints about the One Bedroom suite my husband and I are staying at. It's very spacious and the bed is really comfy. The room can easily fit 4 people. There's a little kitchen but no stove or things for cooking or dining. They allow you to bring in your own food you just have to ask for utensils from the housekeepers if ever u would need some. There are 2 bathrooms in a One BR suite. They are quite spacious and the housekeepers maintain them well. I just did't like the pressure of one of the showers we have. It was very weak and it takes me forever to finish my shower. There are 2 televisions as well. There's a wifi access but u have to pay php150 for a 24 hour access. The internet goes on and off (off most of the time, i really dunno why)

Food is my main concern. When u check in, breakfast is included. Bfast is from 6am -10am and is a buffet service. They guve u bfast vouchers to present to the servers. I find the breakfast not the best at all. I was not satusfied with the breakfasts I had so far. (I already had 3 bfasts here) very few choices for fruits. The juice isn't the best. I liked the daily sti fry noodles (pancit) they serve. They have an omelette and egg station. I ordered omelette and it was not cooked properly and they use way too much oil to cook eggs. I ordered over easy and it always comes out over medium to hard (i had to order my eggs 3 times yesterday). Not too much of western food choices like bacon or ham or sausage. Even just one will be okay since it's not only Filipinos that they are catering to. Most of the food they served are Filipino food. The restaurants has so many staff. It's almost confusing.
On our 1st day, we did room service. Food wasn't the best. Less food choices as well. The hotel is a 10 minute drive to D'Mall where most of the restaurants are. Fairways could improve their menu for their guests not to go back and forth to D'Mall to get some food. The cocktails are not even really good. I got a Pina Colada made from Tang juice powder. So just stick with beer I guess.

The staff are very courteous, nice and friendly. I just find them very disorganized and some doesn't know what they are doing. On my 1st day, I asked one staff where the washroom is and she directed me to the wrong place. So I had to ask another person. My husband ordered room service and he had to repeat his order 4 times. He was just asking if there's lettuce on his burger!

I like the location. It's pretty far from the hassle and bustle of the main strip (station 1-3). It's a really good place for relaxation. The pool is really great. We go for a dip 2-3 times a day. The place is good for families and honeymooners or couples.

Overall, the place is good. It just needs a bit of improvement on food and staff training. I would still recommend this place but not sure if I'll stay here again the next time.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Jayveecakes
Marketing_Fairways, Marketing at Fairways & Bluewater, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and we appreciate that you shared the details for us to be able to resolve them accordingly. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and we will definitely look into these. We hope that we still get to see you back soon in the resort. Have a good new year and a great day ahead!
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 5, 2012

There are definitely good things about Fairways but mostly I agree with the other reviewer who said for that for every positive, there's a negative.
Location. Fairways isn’t on the main beach, it’s not along Station 1, 2 or 3. It’s on the other side of Boracay with its own small beach. Station 2 is about 10-15 minutes away by tricycle or by the hourly Fairways shuttle to D’Mall. Cons: There were plenty of shuttles inside the resort but there’s only ONE hourly shuttle. To get back to the hotel, the guests line up at D’Mall and if they don’t all fit in the shuttle, the shuttle won’t make a second trip for those leftover guests. We ended up hiring a tricycle to take us back twice or thrice. This happens especially during the last trip for the night, because people tend to stay on the main beach once they get there.
Place and rooms. Fairways is a huge place with enough room for a golf course. Each building or villa has its own guard. The 2 bedroom suite was clean, spacious and stylish, with a kitchen (but you can’t cook there), a 6-seater dining table and a living area with a big L-shaped sofa. The "master" BR had a king-size bed while the other BR had two smaller beds. Beds and pillows were comfy. Each BR has its own bathroom and there’s a 3rd bathroom near the kitchen. No problems with the hot water or airconditioning as there were split-type units in each room and in the living area. Cons: So you’re in one of the best rooms Fairways has to offer, getting ready for bed when it starts raining hard outside (not a typhoon, just a typical rainstorm). After a few minutes, suddenly water from the ceiling was pouring (not dripping) down the closet (luckily not the side where the clothes were). Then it was raining on the bed itself. This was the weirdest experience I’ve ever had in a “luxury accommodation” and one I hope never to repeat. They moved us to another 2 BR suite but so much for that restful evening. We never received an official apology or anything to make us feel better.
Pools. Fairways has two pools, an infinity pool far from the main area and near the spa, with a view of the beach, and a smaller pool within walking distance from the restaurant. Cons: There were about 10 lounge chairs around the infinity pool for dozens of guests. The water in the infinity pool was quite cloudy. There were roaming guards but service staff at the pool were few and far in between. There’s no nearby place where one can get towels, there’s only a small, poorly maintained bar near the infinity pool. Getting a towel can take ages. Suggest bringing a towel before you go to the infinity pool.
Food. Needs a lot of improvement. Nothing about the food says Boracay, there’s nothing fresh or special, though the bar makes good mojitos. Suggest taking lunch or dinner at the main beach, where there are plenty of great choices. The breakfast buffet is offered till 10am but their last refill is about 40 minutes before that. By 9:40am all that’s left are scraps. Not sure why they don’t tell this to the guests so they can come earlier.
Activities. It’s cheaper and easier to make arrangements for water sports and other activities at Station 2. Suggest looking around and asking about prices before settling on one as the different guides offer different prices. There are also plenty of places in Station 2 offering massages, manicures, braiding and henna tattoos.
Staff. Friendly but somewhat disorganized. There was no room service.
Conclusion: If Fairways put more effort into maintenance, and providing sufficient facilities and services (more shuttles to the main beach, better food) for their guests, it'd be a top choice for Boracay, especially if one wanted some distance from the crowds on the main beach. Their periodic promos and special offers still make it a good contender, but they could be so much better. For now, Fairways & Bluewater has the 5-star look but more of a 3-star attitude.

Room Tip: If it’s the rainy season and you choose a room on the top floor of a villa, ask if the roof leaks...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank likes_t0_travel6
Thank you for providing us detailed feedback on the services and the facilities of the resort. On behalf of our management, allow me to apologize for the inconvenience we have also brought you. We understand the issue and we will bring it up immediately to have them resolved as soon as possible. We hope that you will still continue your patronage on our property. Happy new year and have a good day ahead!
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The place exceeded our expectations with regards to the wonderful service and the comfort that we received when we spent a whole week at the spacious and newly refurbished one bedroom flat (with a kitchen) and our guests were escorted to the 2 adjoining studios in one of the villas that had good views of the fairways. We also appreciated that the staff provided us with terrace furnitures so we can enjoy our lovely verandah overlooking the fairways. The place is a very beautiful resort. Also perfect for those who want to retire to a lovely and quieter place after the hustle and bustle of the main street along White Beach. We of course appreciated the shuttle service that brought us to and from D'Mall at the White Beach. The staff at the front desk and guest services were very helpful and friendly. Our special thanks too to our guard at the Villa Riviera. She was very friendly and very dedicated to her job. We felt so secure with her around. She also responded professionally and warmly to all our queries and needs during the week. We were also happy that the resort has a restaurant that serves filipino dishes and delicacies. We enjoyed very much the a la carte breakfast and lunches that we ate there .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the pleasant feedback you have provided us and our property. We appreciate that our efforts exerted are well appreciated by you and your family. Hopefully we get to see you back with us soon! Have a great day ahead!
BEIJING
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Hellow , everybody , my name is Anderson John , and my Chinese name is Zhao Qiang , my travel days is Nov.18,2012 to Nov.24,2012 , I live in this place for 6 nights . At here , a lot of very pretty girls and handsome boys can give you wonderful service , And you can see a very beautiful beach , beautiful sun and beautiful trees . Of course if you like the game of golf , and you will be lucky , at here , have a very good club and a very good service . At last , I will telling everyone this is my second time to living here , and you know what ? I got new plan , at Apr.2013 , I will choicing the great days to come back here , the Fairways & Bluewater for my vacation , I swear to God I love this place , just like The terminator said : " I will be back ! " At this moment , I hope the time passed quickly , at Apr.2013 , I will be with my Sunglasses and Cigar , telling the Fairways & Bluewater and Philippine Boracay : " I'm back !!!!!! "

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SWAT911
Marketing_Fairways, Marketing at Fairways & Bluewater, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
We thank you for this fun and very warm-hearted feedback. We appreciate that you have enjoyed your stay which is our main goal for every guest that stays with us. We hope to see you back again soon and we will ensure that another memory be imparted with you on your next stay. Thank you once again and have a good day ahead!
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The resort is very beautiful and the staff is always there for your needs. The beaches are clean and the water is clear like crystal, with azur blue color. If you like to play golf, they have a big course with spectacular view. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the prices for minibar, food and drinks are very low. They have a free shuttle on the resort for your accommodation and another one for downtown, the "d mall" area, every hour and downtown, you can find White Sand Beach, consider the 2nd best beach in the world by Trip Advisor in 2012. The hotel cost me 60$ so it's a great deal for this hotel that is a 4 stars but for me it's a 5 stars. Don't miss the gigantic pools with spectacular views. An amazing vacation for a very good price, with an exotic touch that you'll never forget !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank YVESPARROT
We sincerely appreciate the pleasant feedback you have provided us and we are happy that we were able to make your stay with us very memorable. We hope that we get to see you back with us too, maybe bring in some friends and family too? Thank you again and have a good day ahead!
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stay, last october in this hotel, i never thought that this hotel is so big with golf course, 2swimming pool, spa and individual villas to cater all guest.
Good thing there is a 5 minutes shuttle going around the complex. Shuttles are very efficient. Housekeeping are very willing to help you. At the reception they welcome us with a smile and even assist us going to our room. Breakfast was ok. All in all we had a great stay. We will come back again for sure.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank jianehaydee
Thank you for your very warm feedback on the resort and our facilities. It's good to hear that you would love to come back with us again. We will ensure that your next visit be better than that of the first. May you have a blessed day ahead!