The Tides Boracay
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsexceptional roomd mallepic barrooftop poolbeach frontminute walk to the beachupon checkhotel is locatedsouvenir shopsno elevatorfew stepsmini barthe ground floorfirst floortoilet paperbuffet breakfastbars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We just came back from a very disappointing stay at The Tides – from late December to early January. I will let the facts speak for themselves:

1. I had booked a queen room via Agoda. When we arrived - we were given a double room. We were quite insistent that we should get a Queen room, and were told they could move us the next day.

2. When we were moved to a room with a Queen bed the next day - we discovered there was no hot water in the shower, the shower didn't drain (so it flooded the bathroom with soapy water), and the toilet stopped flushing. The hot water problem did not relate to the fact the hotel was running on generators part of the time (due to the recent typhoon).

3. So the next day we were moved back to a twin room. This one was riddled with ants (on the bathroom vanity) and had a mouldy shower curtain, but by this time we had just given up complaining to the staff at the front desk. One of the other couples we were staying with also started having issues with their toilet at this point in time.

4. There is very loud construction happening in the building next to The Tides. This made sleeping in/having a daytime nap impossible. It also made it really unpleasant to hang around the pool area - with bricklayers watching you and loud machinery.

Overall, I feel we paid a premium price (over $200USD per night) for a terrible, sub-standard experience. The little things were missing (bed linen that wasn't stained, a quiet air-conditioner, ample towels in the bathroom, tissues in the room).

I wish that I had read a review like this before we had booked. There are so many nicer places up at Station 1 - if we ever return to Boracay we will definitely give The Tides a miss.

* We were aware that the hotel was running on generators for part of the time due to the typhoon - so I have not listed any of the problems we encountered that related to the lack of electricity.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank AussieTraveller031
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here for a 3D/2N getaway with friends. Our room was located at the 3rd floor and had a veranda. It came with 2 double beds. The beds were comfy with clean white sheets. It was just right size, not too small and not that spacious either. The resort has a modern design. It is not beachfront, but is strategically located in station 2, very near the D'Mall, restaurants and cafes.

The room came with a buffet breakfast and has the right mix of continental, american and filipino breakfast items.

They have a nice pool lounge at the rooftop where you can enjoy cocktails and just chill at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My last resort stay in Boracay was a horror story. My stay at The Tides redeemed my faith on what to expect of Boracay accommodations on this price tag range. The Tides is tucked in D'Mall, in the middle of all action and major activities in Boracay. It is the drop off point of almost all other hotel shuttles as it is considered a hub of shops, eats and convenience outlets in the island. So everything is accessible on foot from this property.

Upon check-in, the staff offered refreshments and wet towels. They promptly showed us to our rooms within five minutes of approaching the reception desk. We did not get to enjoy the lobby which was not bad at all with its open-air flair and LCD screens. Our room was upgraded for free because of some sort of a booking glitch. But how can I complain to that? I did not. I'm inwardly gloating that time. There was a flight of stairs to reckon with, as there is no mechanized elevator, but the bellhop gladly helped us with our luggage, so no complaints there either. There are cute quotes and unexpected texts and sayings at odd corners that makes us think and smile.

The room was not particularly big, but was certainly modern and well thought of. The space was utilized very well in terms of design. Wi-fi is present and working. Beds are good-sized and comfortable, air conditioning strong and adequate. The "floating" bathtub was a nice touch as well. The reception sent us off with multivitamins and discount coupons on bars aside from our buffet breakfast coupons. So we started with a dip at the pool and availed of our free cocktails at the rooftop deck. The sunset views at their rooftop bar are spectacular. Makes us feel we really are on a vacation.

We make a go to the beach and come back dripping with seawater, and it is okay. It is just less than a hundred meters between the hotel and the beach. Breakfast options are varied and constantly replenished. Staff are courteous and helpful.

It is hard to find fault with this hotel considering we had a very positive experience. Maybe they should offer hotel shuttle service?

Room Tip: Get a second or first floor room as it is just at least a flight of stairs away. Not a good idea to get drunk elsewhere and struggle with stairs on your way back to your room!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WanderWomansWorld
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Its a nice hotel. WE got lucky because our room got upgraded. The food is also nice and okay. Even if it is not beach front, it is very convinient and very near to the beach. The staffs are very accomodating and friendly. One thing I noticed is the cable dont have a list of channels and i have to check every channels just to find what i want. But overall if i will come back to bora again, i will definitely stay again in this hotel.

Room Tip: since there are no elevators, must prefered to be on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Two weeks ago, I embarked on a soul-searching trip in where else but the perfect place for such undertaking, the island paradise of Boracay. On my second day in Boracay, I stayed at The Tides Hotel Boracay. The Tides Boracay is a uniquely-themed award-winning designer hotel that offers personalized professional service. The hotel boasts of a very central location at the very heart of D’Mall in Station 2. The Tides, which opened in 2007 but was most recently renovated last year, houses 40 essential (superior) and 19 exceptional (premier) rooms, and while it does not have a beachfront, its location is very much desirable, being just a minute’s stroll to the famed White Beach (in-house guests may use the sun loungers at their sister establishment, Epic), two minutes to the main road (where you can hail a tricycle to take you to other places in Boracay), and steps away from dozens of shopping and dining establishments!

As soon as I arrived at The Tides Hotel’s lobby, I was greeted by the hotel’s smiling security officer. He asked me if I was checking-in in and advised me to take a seat while the front desk was still processing guests checking-out. When my turn came, I presented my hotel voucher. Check-in was a breeze. After filling up the check-in form, I was pleasantly surprised when I was served a welcome drink, a glass of home-made ginger lemon iced tea, which was reinvigorating considering the noontime heat. While my room was being prepared, I was given a cold towel so I could freshen up while waiting. The room was ready in no time. I was accompanied by one of the hotel staff to my room, explaining to me in detail the amenities that could be found in it. He then gave me a sheet of paper which was labelled “Reminders for Guests”. Wi-Fi access is free for all guests. The whole property is a Wi-Fi zone.

From the lobby, it felt like I was transported to a different dimension when I entered the Courtyard, a zen-like area which served as the hotel’s “center of gravity”.

I stayed in an Exceptional Room at the ground floor of the hotel, just behind the lobby. Being located at the very busy D’Mall, the safety and security of their guests is a primary concern of The Tides Hotel Boracay. A magnetic key card is issued to guests. A safety deposit box can also be found in all of the rooms.

Before this stay, I really expected the place to be quite noisy considering its location. To validate, I had to be technical. I opened the Line Tools app on my phone to check the sound level, and it registered 42 decibels. The app described it to be a “quiet residential area”. Amazing!

The room is equipped with an efficient individually-controlled silent air-conditioning unit, a Plasma TV with more than 90 cable channels, a telephone, safety deposit box, and a mini-bar. The room is something that I could describe as sleek, stylish, spacious and minimalist, tastefully done to give guests a feeling of calm during their stay.

For me, the highlight of the room would have to be the king-sized bed. Being a solo traveler, I was excited to jump over the big bed. The sheets were all gleaming-white and clean. I usually sleep on my side so I loved how the pillows were soft but still kept its shape.

One of the things I do check out before settling in a room is the toilet and bath area.

The T&B is separated from the main room by a sliding-door, with a lock. I must say though that the sliding door needs a little lubrication.

The bathroom is equipped with a cute floating bathtub and a hot and cold shower with rain water head.

Basic toiletries such as bath soap, bath gel, shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer were also provided.

And although it’s not a big issue for me, I just found it a bit odd for the sink to be outside the bathroom area. Personally, I would prefer it to be in the bathroom itself for added convenience. There is a power outlet by the sink for shavers and hair dryer.

OVERALL, I really had a pleasant stay at the Tides Hotel Boracay: good location, amazing room which gave me quality sleep, mouthwatering food, relaxing atmosphere, and modern facilities. If The Tides wasn’t in Boracay, I would probably just stay here the whole day. It is the ideal place to stay for the business and leisure traveler, looking for a place with privacy but just within leisurely strolls to the pleasures that Boracay offers. I will definitely consider a return visit at The Tides on my future trips to Boracay.

Room Tip: This hotel does not have an elevator so ask if there are available rooms at the first or second floors. WiFi is not an issue whichever floor you are staying.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo