New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Surfside Boracay Resort & Spa

Surfside Boracay Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
San Diego, California, United States
“Nice and calm place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed here for four days with my siblings and I like it. The place is quite very comfortable and the service was amazing. Location is on Boat Station 3 with a nice beach front. Will come back again next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Randy V

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I just had a great holiday time in this country, my first visit. Also, from the 4 places where I've stayed as, there's no doubt the Surfside was the best accommodation I had and I will remember it for the rest of my life. The welcome we had from the reception desk was more than great. The room was awesome. The location of this resort, if you compare it to others, it's a bit far from the "heart" of the city, about 10-15 min wak from Station 2 where I guess is the center of the activities to do in the island. Still, it's a nice walk of course, besides if you are looking for a quieter place it might be better to stay here in Station 3 area than in 1 or 2. So no problem at all about this. What I will remember the most, however, is the great help we had at all times from two members of the staff, so if you get to know Bebz or Tonton, you will make sure you can do the most of your activities with them, which will be the best memory of all the staff I met in the different places.
Well I must say not only Bebz and Tonton were great to us… Also the rest of the staff working at the nagisa coffe shop where we had yummy breakfast and good dinner too (I recommend you to try the Japanese cuisine they offer).
Finally, they also got the Yasuragi Spa where I was given the best massage from the trip, if you can, just ast for “norie”, I’m sure you’ll all be so satisfied.
Thank you every so much, Surfside, when I go back to Boracay, I’m sure I’ll pay you a visit again!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank danicoal
Manila, Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed three nights at Surfside and had an excellent time. Staff was great and very friendly. Our 'Family' room was a good size and was nice. New air conditioner. Really enjoyed the breakfasts we had in the restaurant and had dinner on the beach one night. Very happy we were in Station 3 and not 2.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jack E
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights as a family and can honestly say that this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Right from the moment we arrived and the warm welcome we received the service was first class, with nothing seemingly too much trouble.
We did a lot of research having never visited Boracay before as we wanted a hotel adjacent to the beach in one of the quieter locations. This paid off, becuase we much prefered the area Surfside is located in compared to the other stations.
The restaurant overlooks the beach and we found the food to be both tasty and good value. Breakfast was included in our room rate and there was a good choice available. Our room was very clean and of a decent size, with both a large fan and effective air con, when needed.
We will certainly return to this hotel on our next visit to Boracay as the relaxed atmosphere, quiet location and helpful staff greatly contributed to the relaxing holiday we enjoyed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Simon B
姫路
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed during the low season in the Suite which have a nice view to the water. The Hotel is not the newest one but very clean. The bed was a little bit hard (Like in Business Hotels in Japan). The Staff is managed by an japanese Management and very friendly. They will give you a good support if you want do some on the island offert activities. The Hotel location is on the quiet part of the beach.
The philippine Breakfast was great, only on one morning were not the regular Staff was serving the Staff was very slowly and oblivious. A recommandation is the Spa where we got a great value. It have several services with an discount if you stay in the Hotel
We had a good time there and would stay again in this Hotel

About Boracay
Boracay have a nice white Beach with an great view and a lot of Watersport activities. In the evening there are a lot of locations for dining and drinking. It's a great place to see and to be seen. If you don't need that, there are other places in the Phillippine which are much cheaper, with great Beaches, nice Hotels and less touristic.

Room Tip: If you like to stay a little bit in your room and the price is not too expensive for you, choose the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Changzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I picked this hotel only after having trouble booking another. The fact it was on the quiet side of the beach and was small was the kicker for me. It is right on the water and the staff is exceptional!! The rooms are clean. It has a spa which one in my party used and raved about. Quite nice discounts if you are staying at the hotel. It's a very laid back atmosphere which this California boy is all about. I haven't tried the Japanese side of the menu yet but hope to when I come back next month. The breakfast is adequate but it is the tropics and an island so you can't get too excited if they run out of something. I had the hotel pick me up at the airport and boat and truck me here and it's worth the little extra. I tried to book for my next month visit but the room they have available isn't what I want but I'll be back. The owners come around and chat and make sure everything is what you want. They accommodated us with different beach chairs and the number of "good morning" and "hello's" become too numerous from the staff. Great place!! and oh so quiet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bill T
Tokyo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed in Surfside for 4 nights during the low season. The rooms were so-so but the beds were fairly comfortable though maybe a bit firm. There's a tiny TV as well as a mini-bar but I was surprised there was no free bottled water since the area's water is not that safe to drink. We stayed in a room in the back in the shade which would really be the place to stay during the warmest months in Boracay. It stayed cool even without the air conditioner.
The attached cafe was nice, breakfast was included in our room rate booked through agoda. Food was pretty good though breakfast options were a bit limited. I wanted pancakes but would have to pay for them (even though they were cheaper than the set menu). But, the coffee was constantly flowing and it is a good place to hang out and enjoy the wonderful view. We also had drinks there one night and while you can certainly get cheaper drinks on the island, I actually got the strongest poured drinks in my life at the hotel cafe. Pretty good value.
The attached spa is also a great value. Hotel guests get discounts on the services so the massage I got was only 500php. Manicure was 30% off.
I wish they offered hair treatments but they had a combination technique massages, mani-pedis, vidro massages, and jacuzzi/sauna services. All are really reasonably priced. Facilities could use some updating but it was still a good experience.

As for the beach, it is located on a quiet end. However, the whole time I was there, there was kite boarding lessons going on right on the strip of beach located in front of the hotel. It made swimming inconvenient and dangerous so we had to walk a ways down or up away from the hotel to go swimming. You also have to be very careful which loungers you use. We used the ones closer to the swimming area and had all of our things removed from the loungers and put in the sand. When I asked why, they told me that those loungers did not belong to the hotel. I was confused since it was about 20 feet away from where we had been sitting previous days, so it might be best to check with the hotel before putting your stuff somewhere.

Location is far from boat station 2. I didn't mind the walk at all but those with children or elderly people may want to avoid this area. During off-season, it would honestly be fine to just book a hotel at station 2 because no area of the beach is that heavily populated. But, this is definitely the place to go for off-season. The hotel is very close to Red Pirates Pub (an expat favorite) and a restaurant called Cowboy Cocina. I definitely recommend stopping by Cowboy Cocina on Monday's for their Trivia night. I had a ton of fun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple