“Great experience! Loved it!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Albany
Grider Hill Dock Indian Creek Lodge
Toledo, Ohio
“Great experience! Loved it!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We just returned home following a 4-day trip on a 50' houseboat from Grider Hill Marina. Our boat was beautiful, extremely clean and well kept up and the beds were comfortable. On the first morning we had trouble starting the engine. We called the marina and they sent someone out within about 10 minutes to fix the problem. NOT AN ISSUE!! 76 falls was very nice, in fact, we spent two nights there. True, it is not Niagra in size, but very tranquil none the less! I have nothing bad to say about this trip and will definitely do it again!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cheriepackard

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have been going to Grider Hill for over 15 years. The owners have changed a few times, but little else. We go down because the lake is fantastic for wakeboarding, surfing, and slalom skiing. I am sure others will speak to fishing and partying.

Lodging
We always stay in the Oak lodge which is a small condo type of facility. It has a kitchen/dining/living area one bathroom and one bedroom with two full size beds. It is nothing fancy, but it is always clean, has a decent view, and come with everything you need including all appliances, including toaster, microwave, dishwasher, pots, pans, dishes, flatware etc. The couch sleeper/sofa has not changes since I've been going there, nor has the dining room table and chairs, but other than sleeping we spend very little time in the room. The main lodge has hotel type rooms and there are hotel rooms on the top of the hill

Marina
Friendly staff, they have a great selection of items from food and clothing to repair parts, and accessories. The gas, while more expensive, is not outrageous like some other places.

Boat Ramp
One of the best ever. There is five dollar fee which can be paid at the time of launch. If you are renting a boat slip, you can package it all together. The ramp is long, straight and shallow grade. It extends well into the water and is deeply grooved for good traction. The only bad thing is it can only accommodate two vehicles at a time, assuming there are no houseboats in the way.

Restaurant
I was disappointed as the full service restaurant was moved from the main building up on the hill to the marina and is now a short-order restaurant. With that said I had the best fish n chips here than anywhere else in my travels.

Water
This is why we come here. the water is always smooth and warm. Except this year, where everyday it was windy. Even with the wind, it was awesome time

Watch out for:
This place is hilly. You WILL be walking up and down steep grades no matter what.
If you are towing a boat do NOT go to the right when you get to Grider Hill. You will have a very very difficult time turning around or making it up the hill on the other side of the main building.
Parking is very limited due to the hilly terrain. If you travel here in peak season, don't be surprised if you have to park on the top of the hill and walk back a 1/4 mile.
There are no towns very close. Albany is the closest and is 15 minutes or so away. If you forgot to pack it, and the marine does not sell it. Plan to spend some time driving.

Overall this is a great place to rent a houseboat or enjoy water activities. nothing fancy, but I don't come here for cuisine or comfort, I come for the best water east of the Mississippi.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank GoJo82
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Arrived on Sunday morning earlier than scheduled check in time, Room was ready and clean and front desk staff was pleasant and friendly. I was reluctant to stay here due to some reviews but Captain Jim from Striper Fun convinced me. The Oaks has a beautiful view of the marina from the rocking chairs on the balcony. Perfect place for that evening cocktail.
Yes, the place was built in the late 60's..so don't expect modern, it is not perfect but it was clean and relaxing. We walked the docks that afternoon and had a fish sandwich at the restaurant there which was delicious. The girl that waited on us was wonderful and they could stand to have more of her at the restaurant. (The restaurant is leased out and not managed by Grider Hill as I found out upon leaving). There seemed to be a lot of confusion about when the restaurant was open and closed, even the staff didn't know what hours and what days. Granted this was Sept but management should know in advance what hours they will or won't be open so people can plan accordingly. The restaurant was my only and biggest negative of our trip. We had to buy bologna at the ship store one day inorder to eat cause no one knew if the restaurant was going to open or not that day. I had called the week before and was told it would be or I would have brought groceries.
We went fishing on Monday with Striper Fun Captain David and had a great time and caught our limit of Striper. We returned to the marina that morning and rented a boat for half a day and went to 76 falls.
We definetly plan on returning to Grider but hope they have new management by then at the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KYsailormom
Edgewood, Kentucky
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm with the last person that posted a review. Almost the same experience. DO NOT RENT THE LITTLE INDIAN!!! I was told by our reservationist our boat was little. I was fine with that as long as it was clean and everything worked.

We got on the boat and noticed several things. 1. Gas In yellow tanks which is designated for diesel. 2. A "roaster" rather than a grill. 3. No likeliness of the boat on the web site.

This boat is the pits. Same experience as the last person. The carbon monoxide detectors go off within thirty minutes of turning on the generator. We called people out. They took two hours to get here and the said its a battery issue. Happened again so they sent their emergency crew who showed up on his cigarette boat and told us to ask for an upgrade. No Wonder they made us sign not one but two carbon monoxide warnings statements. Never again. This is a joke and am accident waiting to happen.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank franmom

Travelers are raving about these Albany hotels

Powell, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went in June 2013. Worst vacation experience ever! The steering on the houseboat broke down before we could even find a cove to tie up in! We took our speedboat so I baked alone on the speedboat while the rest of the family waited with my husband on the houseboat for a repair - which was NOT much of a repair and the mechanic even said it would not hold so we were forced to tie up to a cove close to the marina. Good thing - the carbon monoxide detectors continuously went off and we had to go for more batteries and at one point, they even sent someone to check the carbon monoxide levels. We were too concerned about dying in our sleep to run the generator at night. There were ants in the kitchen the entire trip. There is no cable for the small TV so we were reliant on DVDs -- the player is so cheap it doesnt FF or Rewind and one night would not work at all. And for a houseboat that sleeps 12, the small TV and small sofa were laughable (no coffee table either, so our coolers doubled as a coffee table). Check out time was 10 am on Friday, so anticipating the worst, we were packed by 8:30 and we were not at all suprised when the boat would not steer AGAIN (rather crucial when boating). By this time, I have the marina on speed dial, but we broke down AGAIN within site of the marina. You would have thought that by this time they would have been falling all over themselves to make things right -- but instead of sending their designated person out to park the boat promptly THEY FORGOT ABOUT US so we were still floating in the marina until about noon! So I baked in the speedboat alone for ANOTHER TWO HOURS at the end of trip. We spend another hour complaining to the owner and he finally agreed to a $500 refund -- but the credit card machine "broke down" so they said they would do it manually and NEVER DID IT, so we had to take it up with the credit card company when the bill came. If you want to go boating at Lake Cumberland....find another marina. Thank goodness for good company or it would have been a total loss!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Sonia W
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I've been going here for 18 years now. we have always had a boat slip and now a houseboat slip. When we first started going down it was very well maintained but the switch of the owners made it go down hill quickly. But now they have new owners again and they are slowly getting a lot better and getting things back to running right! finally! I would reccomend this place who are looking to get away I've been to many other docks on the lake they are all too populated and too city like for me and this side of the lake has 76 falls, the dam and you don't have to take a long boat ride to find a secluded cove because there are so many on this side of the lake! and now you are able to get back to 76 falls it's starting to become the party spot again! which is motivating grider hill!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank andriabru
Dayton
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My fishing buddy and I booked a room here for a charter we had planned. After checking out our room we quickly decided to ask for an upgrade. The staff was very friendly and gave us a free upgrade in the "Oaks" cottage. It was nice but we did find a spider under my pillow and dead lady bugs everywhere. Then there were ants coming out from behind the dishwasher that we sprayed. I can't complain too much since it was a free upgrade but makes me wonder what we may have encountered if we would have went with our first room. Can't say enough about the staff but this entire lodge area is just old and run down. Next time if in Cumberland we will stay at either Lee's Ford Marina area or Burnside for the same price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank begs1972
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albany
Lake Cumberland State Resort
#3 of 3 in Jamestown
Alpine Motel
Alpine Motel
#1 of 2 in Burkesville

Been to Grider Hill Dock Indian Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!