“Nice treat by the beach”
Review of Hayahay Resort

Hayahay Resort
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Bohol Island
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Brought my mom to Bohol for a short holiday and stay at Hayahay! Glad we were in the middle of where the fun is. Music every night, BBQ food and fire dancers. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. We booked the countryside tour with the resort and it was amazing too!
They've got special packages for room and dives, do ask!

I love how each room has a rack outside to dry off all your stuff after a day out in the sea!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 1, apparently it has a huge window with the beach/trees view and a coffee table outside...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank smellycupcakes

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I really need a lot to rate a place as poor but to me, Genesis divers, especially the Guest House, deserves nothing more.
I have not much to say when it comes to the diving part, although I've been surprised that my certification level was not checked. I wouldn't qualify their equipment as in good condition, far from that.
Accommodation now. To start with, my booking was not registered while I've been in communication with the owner for a little while. The price of the room varies depending on the number of dives, great, but I couldn't dive as much as I wanted as 1-there were not enough guests so one trip was cancelled and 2- I've been "kicked off"because my room was booked by other guests! When I protested saying that I booked too, I've been told I can take another, more expensive, room, so I just left!
The Staff is not helpful at all and I would even say a bit rude. I don't need to be treated like a princess but I am still a customer and expect a min service level.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
7  Thank Soumeya M
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We wanted a place along Alona Beach and tried this resort. We were after comfortable sized clean rooms and this resort provided such. For the price, I would say it was a great value. Even though there are a lot of cheaper small resorts along Alona, their rooms were new compared to the other resorts in the area. Cleaning of room and changing of towels was done daily. There was no shortage of soap and shampoo since they provided enough on the mounted liquid dispenser and our kids had to bathe 3x a day after every swim. Rooms had split type quiet airconditioners and TVs were already flat screen wall mounted. Rooms were either at the 2nd or 3rd floor. The ground floor area was a restaurant. Don't expect a view. This resort mostly caters to divers who would probably just come back to their room to bathe and sleep. Since Bohol had a lot of attractions we wanted to experience, we just needed a place for the kids to rest in between swimming and other activities. It did have enough space for all our stuff and we did travel as a family. There is no swimming pool but we did not expect any while booking. The service was fair. They did attend immediately to any of our concerns and there was no hidden or additional charge from my internet booking. This resort is near the newly opened Buzz Cafe by Bohol Bee farm so we did not need to walk far to enjoy great cuisine. It is also near the still renovating Hennan Resort so we were able to enjoy the beachfront of that prime property. As to the noise at night, we requested a room a little farther back from the restaurant and we were not bothered by any noise from the nearby bars at night. I observed that it was mostly foreigners who were booked at this resort and who ate at their restaurant at night. The staff and guests were all friendly and we did not have an issue of noisy tour groups in this resort. Overall, we were able to enjoy most of the attractions the island had to offer and have a relaxing vacation at this resort.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jusibabe
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have dove with this dive center 2 years in a row. Staff is professional helpful and caring. Both Noel and Junior as my dive guides were top notch. Equipment rental was good. Worst part was leaving. They serve great food at night on the beach. Thai food. Worth a visit for both activities.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JBrett555
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

This is a great place to stay. Rooms are spacious with air con or fan, its spotlessly clean staff are friendly and will know your name after one day. food is fantastic with lots of choices. I loved there omelette. it's right on the beach and its affordable. Perfect! Ill be back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank nbjewellerboy
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed at the Hayahay, as far as Philippine hotels in outer provinces go its pretty good. I have stayed at hotels all over Philippines outer provinces and for the price range I think it's pretty good. I got a room with aircon and the aircon worked fine...only draw back was there was only a sheet in our room, no blanket. Service was friendly and the recognised us after a couple days and went out of their way to greet us everytime we passed by.
It's right on the beach, but back far enough so the noise from the beach venues is not a problem.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dan-D-flyer
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed for four nights with three friends. As the rooms only have a bed for two guests, we purchased a mattress for myself. At first, I was hesitant to share the same cost as my friends with a bed, but the mattress was the same one my friends had, but just smaller. They even made the bed, gave me my own towels and everything. It was a nice surprise.

Our room was at the very end of the hall. It was quiet. I can see how, though, if you were at the front of the hall, you'd hear music from the neighboring restaurant downstairs. Mind you, they're done around 11 PM or so every night, so no late night DJ umph umph.

We even easily added an extra night on the island to relax and do more (instead of go to Cebu, which seemed to have nothing to do except eat lunch at Zubuchon Mango Square).

There are many hotels and restaurants on the beach. I can't vouch for the others on the beach, but I know in my search, the hotels of similar price involved a walk into the beach town (they were set back on the main road). This was another perk of this hotel: it was right there on the beach, in the middle of Alona. Excellent location.

There were two downsides. Well, one downside and one obvious thing to avoid. The downside: they were not very helpful with tours. They had very little information. The flyer they did have, they couldn't say much about it. We ended up using one of the guys walking the beach and were very, very happy, actually! (Day car - 20000 PHP total. Boat - 1500 PHP total.. gas included for both. For the boat, snorkeling mask is extra. They offer you a guide that paddles around with you, but you can skip that, otherwise you'll pay for him. Not expensive, but just an extra 200 PHP here and there)

And now, the obvious thing to avoid. Naturally, they have a nice restaurant on the beach. The food actually wasn't bad for breakfast. Standard 5$ breakfast and coffee. Not true Philippines cheap, but you're also on a tourist beach, so it's not extremely overpriced. They had Thai food and pizzas. The pizzas were good, but small. The other food, I didn't eat. Personally, I try to stay away from hotel food. That being said, everything on the island is similarly priced except for the Horizons DIRT CHEAP bar.

Speaking of location, there isn't much to do on this beach. There are many bars and restaurants, but be warned, when we were there at the end of July 2013, they closed early. They are cheap, enjoyable, but they close early. No Boracay party all night, cheap shots and clubs here. Still, I'd recommend Alona easily. There's enough to do for a few days and it's beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bohol Island
9 mi away
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Bohol
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Boho...
#1 of 12 in Tagbilaran City
Henann Resort Alona Beach
J&R Residence
J&R Residence
#2 of 6 in Anda

Been to Hayahay Resort? Share your experiences!