“Great stay if you avail of the budget price”

Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Overall experience was great. Friendly staff. Glad to know this hotel is environmentally friendly. There is a research station located on the island. Had my first diving experience and that was awesome. Victor the instructor was excellent. I stayed calm throughout my entire stay underwater. The spa area is very quiet. Very relaxing. Had a massage. Wished that was the room we had. Overlooking the water. Our room view was blocked by the mangroves.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 15, 2011

We got our booking 50% off last August 2010.
The weather was perfectly hot and felt the exclusivity of the island. Manny, incharge of the watersports activity, was gracious enough to help us with our kayak and introduce us to other activities in the island. He even volunteered to be our photographer and directed us where and how to pose. Even though we got our room on discount, the service we got was superb!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2010

In June 2010, my family spent 4 days in one of the famous resort in Palawan. Because of lacking about the product knowledge between the head office, customer service know how in Dos Palmas staff , I was disappointed in the manner they treated us. As early as 5AM we woke up to get the bus going to Honda Bay where we will take us to the resort. Two kids ages 5 & 7, were not able to eat their breakfast because of limited time we were able to prepare the bus trip. By the time we arrived at the resort, it was already 1010am. Kids were complaining getting hungry. I quickly asked the receptionist if breakfast is available. Immediately she said that the food station was closed. I explained to them that adults can wait for lunch, but can kids could have cereals at least. I have to pay P400 each if I want to do that. C'mon, fish heads!, how much is 2 boxes of cereals! Thinking after I have been paid them P62,500 for 3 days stay. I was soo annoyed & disappointed. Customer service is the key to good business. REMEMBER THAT!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank auau4594
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Rooms were big, and decorated tropically, with bamboo sofa... We didn't have much of view from room balcony, as we were blocked by other units, but it was ok, because we spent most times outside. Enjoyed kayaking the most, as we spent 2-3 hours circling around the island and getting lost in mangroves. Saw a lot of starfishes and few birds, and a big fish that jumped up but we could not name. Didn't enjoy scuba diving due to all the jellyfish. Food buffet was generally good as expected from this price range, and the lunch outside on nearby island with sand bay was very amusing experience. Drinks were charged separately, so ask the price before you order. The spa was good, we tried the coconut bliss for exfoliation, and the pool next to the spa was the best, quiet and on a very serene bay. The beach was also good for night time stroll, as the winds were cool and comfortable. Too bad the corals around the island's shallow beaches were all dead, well, its a global phenomenon...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I will just start by saying what I Liked:
- The picnic lunch was a nice treat. We were taken to a nearby island, where the staff set up a nice lunch for us. It wasnt really picnic style, as we were given full service, complete with iced drinks served in actual glasses (as opposed to plastic), table napkins (as opposed to paper), fresh cooked barbecued seafood, chicken and pork, fresh fruits for desert. The island itself is really cute. You can walk from end to end in 30 minutes or less. Nice place to sun bathe, read a book or just chat.
- Snorkeling at Helens Garden- you can go to sports center and tell them to take you snorkeling here via speed boat- 5 mins ride only. Snorkeling is pretty good, (ive snorkelled quite a bit in El Nido and Coron- this spot is same as the 2 others or kind of better)
- Massage- good enough for me, nice way to end day and try to have a good nights sleep.

Having said the stuff I liked, I just could not stand the fact that the fixtures in the bathroom were rusty. I could not tell whether it was mold or rust. It was green. Eeeew. I prefer to think it was rust. Having said this, we had ourselves transfered to another room for reasons I would rather not say here, and yep, same, the green stuff was on the shower head. Good thing they had a hand held shower thing as well...

Also, they take in a lot of day trippers and I dont know if we were unlucky or what, but when we arrived, there were about 150+ people for the day, a company thing or something, so the lunch situation was a bit stressful.. Queue is the word. It can get you kind of in a bad mood if you are hungry. But dinner is better, dont worry, no day trippers.

Also the greenery is just kind of sad. Looks like the plants arent watered regularly or something, though to be fair, I saw quite a few gardeners working on the plants, so I dont understand why the plants just looked so... sad... But in the spa area where they have a "hidden" pool, the vibe is so much better. If you must swim, do it here and not in the other, more public one.

I think what this place needs is some TLC! but anyway, as a whole, its not bad if you are paying less than USD100 per person night, since this includes 3 buffet meals anyway. But at $150 per person per night, I just dont think its worth it. ($150 per person in a resort in Phuket would just get you so much more value. Im sorry for saying this).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank piccolita
Reviewed October 5, 2010

My husband and I spent 3D/2N of our honeymoon here, and we wanted a honeymoon which would be stress-free, not hectic at all, enable us to relax and reminisce over the wedding, and on focus on just ourselves. At Dos Palmas, we got just that.

Since we went there in the off-season, there were only a few of us staying at the resort. Aside from the resort facilities, we enjoyed the spa treatments, diving/snorkeling experiences, and the picnic lunch. Upon arrival, the staff will orient you with a suggested, pre-programmed list of activities, but it's your choice to join in or not. We opted to join in on some but opted out of others.

The staff are always all smiles and ready to assist you and make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Buffet meals are very good though not superb, and there is always a good variety of options. I asked them to arrange for a surprise romantic beach dinner for my husband and me on our first night there (extra cost, since this was not included in our package). They set it up on the beach away from the rest of the guests, with our own waiter, and with a serenade from some of the resident musicians as well.

They were also able to arrange a city tour for us and the other guests after checking out, which included lunch and a tour of the underground river. The tour ended with dropping us off at the airport in time for our flight.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank im0206
Reviewed September 27, 2010

It takes about 2 hours to arrive at Dos Palmas, where you are greeted by music, smiles and a variety of tropical fish. The tiny island, located in Palawan, is a place where you can escape the busy city and enjoy nature at its finest. This is a perfect place to lie under a tree and watch the world go by, without a care in the world. Listen to cicadas chirping with the cool sea breeze on your face. Watch the fish jumping out of the water and feel the stress melt away.

The highlight for us was the “picnic lunch” on our own tiny island about 15 minutes from Dos Palmas. We had our own charted boat, tour guide, cook, security guard and huge selection of food… all for free! Our 5yo son had a ball playing with a hermit crab and horseshoe crab.

Beach - the beach is good for swimming, but you will have to wade out to the sandy parts. There are a lot of coral and sea grass to contend with, perfect for snorkelling and viewing the vast array of tropical fish. The sand is not quite as powdery as on Boracay.

Food - is included in the package and I was impressed with the selection, better than expected.

Rooms - are right on the beach. They are comfortable, quiet, spacious, with good quality bedding. The quality of the bathroom/porch could be improved. TV not included.

Security - this was my one major concern, given the kidnapping in 2001. However, we didn’t feel at risk at any time during our stay. I was told that security was paramount and had been improved since the incident.

Some people may be put off by the mangroves at low-tide, which are a little ugly and block the view. I think they add to the natural charm of the place.

Tip: you can get 50% off the room rate if you book during the off-peak season.

Overall we had an amazing stay and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Princesa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & ...
#10 of 50 in Puerto Princesa
Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
Daluyon Beach and Mountain Resort
Astoria Palawan
Astoria Palawan
#11 of 50 in Puerto Princesa
Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa
Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princ...
#6 of 50 in Puerto Princesa
Secret Paradise Resort & Turtle Sanctuary

Been to Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!