“Simply spectacular”

Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My whole family fell in love with Dos Palmas soon as we set foot in the resort not to mention the smooth boat ride with very friendly crew. I love the way they ensure security of passengers. The warm welcome complete with music, a staff to walk you through and refreshments is so comforting. But what sets it apart is the impeccable service that you don't normally get in other hotels or resorts, even the five star ones. The staff are very attentive and serves you with a smile, giving you the feeling of home. The staff anticipates what you need and are very helpful. The activities are well-organized. The food is divine. Swimming at the pool with the breathtaking view of the ocean was so relaxing. The resident dive master was so patient, I just had to let go of my fears and enjoy the richness and vastness of the deep sea. We all left the Dos Palmas wanting to come back soon. It was a trip worth doing again and again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is one of the first times I have traveled without very careful research, much like you my readers are doing now. Ceasing the moment in the last 2 days of a business trip in Manila, we just flew into Puerto Princessa and had to take it from there.

When (*eventually arriving.. I will review the journey at the end so not to take away from this fabulous location) approaching at the wharf at Dos Palmas we could hear the local staff playing some lovely island style drums, making it feel like dreamy island location, that it would soon turn out to be. We were taken to an arrivals area with only our hand luggage and served a welcome drink and shortly shown to our accommodation.

We asked if our room (not knowing what to expect) was on the beach, and were told it was not. We were given directions and wandered along the resort paths looking for the room. To our delight the room turned out to be the most delightful bungalow ..and some pleasant staff were already there waiting with our luggage that have very quickly found its way from the boat.

They are two level bungalows and both had benefits. We were upstairs and that provided us superior water views. Downstairs looked nice to as they could step straight out onto the beach. Both levels seemed equally private. We opened the place up and it was wonderful.. like a dream, a movie. No T.V...you don’t want it. You beaut. If you don’t read books this vacation would be the time to start.

With only two nights here it is clear why you would want to savior even single moment of it. The restaurant was great, and made there own creative cocktails that were so much fun to sample. The food was good, the service typically Filipino....fantastic.

We spend the day relaxing on the open deck huts at the beachfront. We rode bikes around the island and walked some of it. We enjoyed the beautiful pools. You could do snorkeling and activities alike....but we had only a short time and decided to just relax.

*Back to the journey in.. On arrival on the Palawan mainland flying from Manila, it was soon revealed there is really not much to do in Puerto Princessa, and the preference is to spend the time transferring to an island resort; such as Dos Palmas. We had awoken early for a Cebu Pacific flight that had been delayed 90 minutes without warning (or apology!)

We soon learned that the two transfers to the island were 10:00am and 2:00pm ...so that flight delay caused us to miss the morning transfer. We were to miss the whole first day waiting for the afternoon transfer. The boat ride seemed to take forever...although it was under 1.5 hours; it was later revealed we went the long way around because of the sea or wind conditions. Every moment felt like a lifetime as we felt the whole first one of our only two days slipping away.
So the sound and sight of those welcome drums were so soothing to a grumpy sore head and ears.

I will come back here, and make sure I have more time. Do try Dos Palmas Palawan, but don’t try to do it on just a weekend, not even a long weekend.. you will need 5 days to a week here to really relax and wind down. Don’t forget to take a look at the terrific photos we took that are attached.

And if this review has been helpful in any way please click my Helpful button so I know that my review is being enjoyed and is useful, as I only take the time to do it to help other travelers, so this is the only way I can know if I really have..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
31  Thank SmithersinAU
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Most of what i can say about the place were already mentioned on the previous reviews and i cant agree more.. the place was clean.. the staff were friendly and accommodating.. yes, its expensive but why think of the money if you'll get what you're really looking for?? The free buffet breakfast was awesome! their oatmeal was second to the best oatmeal i ever tasted (of course, the first on my list is made and cooked by yourstruly :p ) they do offer lots of activities like billiards, swimming, kayaking, snorkeling, biking, etc.. i love the fact that they have their own spot for snorkelling where you can see different corals and schools of fish.. i also like the idea of them having another island called isla puting buhangin that you can visit.. but what i really like with the place? is that, i can feel its serenity and peacefulness.. i was able to relax and take a good rest.. i found what ive been looking for, to feel alone but not literally alone..

Onething not good about this place is their food.. you'll not have any other option but to eat at their restaurant.. i dont mind such idea, but i do expect that the food being served is also excellent.. its quite pricey but it doesnt taste that satisfying.. everything else, excellent i must say! perfectly reccommended to those who wants to have a relaxing time alone travel.. :)

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank nicolecentric
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I love their snorkeling site, the service was ok, food was ok,but i expected more, some areas were nice but I think there are a lot that needs renovation, I expected above average but was a little disappointed

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joannie22
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Its actually my second stay in Dos Palmas. My wife and 2 kids stayed from July 19-22 to celebrate my birthday. It was very relaxing. The rooms, pools, amenities, surroundings were very clean. Staff was very friendly, attentive and very approachable. They even gave me a birthday cake on my birthday. And the trip was actually much cheaper now because they now charge per room, per night. Unlike before when it was full board and lodging package with scuba diving. It is better that way since not all people like or are capable of scuba diving. My kids enjoyed every day of it. They loved and tried all the swimming pools. And they are not very strict with the kids regarding buffets. Kids eat free. I would have preferred that all meals were buffet like last year. Now you order ala carte, unless the occupancy rate is substantial to offer buffets. I have just one suggestion. Maybe they can provide coffee and tea maker. Some people like to drink tea or something warm before going to bed. You can request it from their guest services and they'll bring over a thermos of hot water. But its more convenient and less troublesome if its already available in the room. Overall its was a very great vacation.

Room Tip: If budget permits, choose the executive villa. You get a much larger room with TV and bath tub.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dallas4594
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at Dos Palmas for three nights. It was an amazing experience. The free tour to the reef was nice, the reefs looked healthy and are very close to the resort. The free kayaking was really fun, we kayaked around the whole island. The island isn't that big and the water was very calm, so even though we have very little experience kayaking, we didn't have any trouble making it all around the island. The pool there is the best pool I have ever been in, it was really nice for a night swim after a day in the ocean. They use salt water for the pool so there was no chlorine. The pool curves around platforms where they have planted trees and other plants and you can see the beach while you swim. I usually don't like swimming in pools that much, but the plants , beach view and no chlorine made this pool an exception. The rooms are big and the beds were comfy. The rooms, restaurant and lounge areas were clean. The staff is really friendly and accommodating. The food was great, we really enjoyed the free buffet breakfast where we ate so many mangoes ! There are only three things that could have been better. One the beach at the resort isn't that great. Much of the beach is not for swimming because of the mangroves. They do have a section where there is a beach for swimming and it is nice, but not as pretty as other beaches in Honda Bay. There is a free island hopping tour, but they only took us to one island. On the one island there were a lot of jellyfish on one side, so we went the other side and there were a lot of sea urchins, so not the best place for swimming. Also the sandbar had a lot of rocks. There are much nicer islands in Honda bay. The final thing that could have been better is the water in the sink and shower is desalinated from the ocean. Even after they desalinate the water its still pretty salty, so you get a bad taste in your mouth when brushing your teeth. To me those were really minor things when compared to all the things I like at Dos Palmas. I think its a great place to stay and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank JDandAnna
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed every moment, even though the weather was not on our side.

Our flight from Manila was delayed by 2 hours but we were very pleased to see the Dos Palmas driver still waiting there to collect us. From the airport it's a 30 minute drive to Honda Bay where you get the Dos Palmas pump boat. The boat takes about 1 hour in good weather. On arrival on the island we were greeted with welcome drinks and then a short talk about the island, the resort and the activities before being shown to our rooms.

Snorkelling, kayaking and island tour are included in your nightly rate for the resort. No hidden extras to pay :) We did all. Snorkelling was good but the sea wasn't clear when we went (bad weather) and it was difficult to see the corrals. Kayaking was excellent.

The bar area is nice, we chose to eat our meals there rather than the restaurant area. Food is reasonably priced and very tasty.

The room was very spacious, but showing signs of its age, as is a few areas of the resort. But don't let that out you off. They are renovating. Salt water showers.... Well it is a little island.

The staff were very friendly and I couldn't fault them at all.

I would visit again but try and time it when the weather is good in Palawan. The boat trip back to Honda Bay was....erm....exciting. Very big waves and swells.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Paul E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Princesa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & ...
#9 of 51 in Puerto Princesa
Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
El Nido Resorts Lagen Island
El Nido Resorts Miniloc Island
Astoria Palawan
Astoria Palawan
#11 of 51 in Puerto Princesa
Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa
Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princ...
#5 of 51 in Puerto Princesa

Been to Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!