“Tons of fun- a great place :)”

Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Manila
“Tons of fun- a great place :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at Dos Palmas for the weekend of my birthday. Truthfully I was apprehensive when I saw some of the reviews here. Boy were we PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!

Yes, the place is a bit older, but we found the rooms to be large and clean, beds comfy, and bathrooms rustic and great! The views around the island were breathtaking, and the pool area was lovely.

I was surprised mostly by the comments about the food. Everything we ordered was great- we stuck to the Filipino dishes and the fresh seafood, and were not disappointed. The food aslo came out quite fast, and we never waited more than 15 minutes. Special requests were accommodated, even if we asked for stuff off the menu. The service was also fabulous- on the night of my birthday, the staff even prepared a beautiful private dinner set up on the beach and we dined as the sun was setting. Big cheers to waitress Anne- who personally took care of us, bartender Rey, and resort manager Emi.

All in all we had a wonderful experience- and would recommend this to friends, and would be back.

Room Tip: Try to get the cottages numbered A, B or X for the best views, and closest to the action
2 Thank InesC413

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
qc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Looking at its website, you will see on a top view a very beautiful island with lost of trees, clear water and white sand. I was so excited for our day tour as it's my first time to visit this very popular island. It's almost an hour boat ride from the wharf. I was viewing all the islands on the way until our boat came to a gradual stop. I just then figured we're already in Dos Palmas and it was not what I expected! The actual place is different from the photos on the website - talking about the power of advertising! ...A resort staff entered our boat and briefed us on what we should expect on a day tour. Entering the main resort, we were welcomed by a singing local group. We were then led to the reception area to get our welcome drinks - just bigger than a shot glass but quenching enough.

Major parts of the day tour package - snorkeling, kayaking and free buffet lunch. I guess you'll get the most out of of the first two. I enjoyed the snorkeling very much! Our local marine tour guide (I think his name is Ronald) was very nice and cool. Most of us in the group don't know how to swim but he motivated us all and assured us we'll still enjoy snorkeling even w/o swimming skills. He led and showed us to the biggest clam in the area. Using our goggles and snorkeling gear, viewing the sea was like being inside a big aquarium! Visitors enjoy kayaking as well. They have a bordeline on up to where you can kayak but some still went beyond the line.

One downside of the day tour is the buffet lunch. My friend who used to do day tour here says the food was great but I don't agree now. Only 3 dishes - fish (didnt taste good), pork bbq and chicken inasal. Something I can also eat in other local resto. The rest - seaweeds, watermelon and green mango w/ bagoong sauce. Since day trippers get to stay very short, better if Dos Palmas include more unique and specialty dishes on the menu so they will be enticed to come back and stay longer. Limited menu dishes obviously show discrimination on day trippers.

The changing / shower rooms should be upgraded and separated! The shower room is also your changing room???..It is very uncomfortable to change to your clean clothes with your feet stepping on wet and muddy tiles! Everything about the shower rooms need a major make over - door, tiles, walls, windows, name it! There are only 3 indoor shower rooms and 1 shower isn't working. There are 3 outside showers but female guests won't be able to wash themselves well unless they are brave enough to take off their clothes in public!

What you can appreciate much in this island are the local marine tour guides! They are so passionate in assisting their guests w/ all the water activities and they will even volunteer to take your photos! They know how to make your stay much memorable. If you're afraid to snorkel or kayak, they will motivate you so you can make the best out of your stay especially on a day tour which lasts only for 6 hours.

Overall, they need to improve physically and aesthetically. Or else, they will be left behind by other new island resorts. Dos Palmas is Dos Palmas, if they want to retain their popularity, they should keep up to their image of being a world-class that is.

2 Thank serendipity1211
Fujairah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 days and 2 nights. Accomodation was perfect and setting was amazing. The only things thats let the place down is Restaurant services, each time we waited for our food was 35 minutes to an hour. The prices were extortionate as its a captive audience so be prepared to pay high prices for basic foods. My wife and i are qualified experienced divers and booked for 3 dives during our stay. The Dive prices are rediculously high and not really professional. The Spa is something that should be used. Awesome staff and very satisfying

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife, son and I recently visited Palawan for the first time and were excited about our week stay at Dos Palmas. We started our experience being picked up in an old van in front of the Dos Palmas"s office. We were poorly greeted by the driver ( did not say hello or look us in the eye) directed us to sit at the back of the bus that was filled with hotel workers and friends of the driver. The van was crammed with hotel workers, a cage of birds, boxes etc. The driver stopped at a local florist for 10 minutes while we cooked in the back of the van, then proceeded to another hotel to pickup more hotel staff or friends. After one an hour and thirty minutes on the road we arrived at the wharf to take the boat to Dos Palmas.
We arrived to the SHOCK of a run down group of cabins perched on the ocean at the end of the wharf that hand not been occupied for years. The sign for the hotel that greets you is a wreck and has not been painted in years. This is from a BAD movie!!!
WOW - what have we got ourselves into!!!
We knew this was the hotel that terrorists kidnapped 20 tourists and beheaded 2 in 2001 - but we figured that the hotel was back to it's former glory based on the quality pictured on the website - WRONG!! It is all smoke and mirrors!!!! I guess there is NO quality controls at the Ministry of Tourism in Palawan.
We were then taken to our room which was nothing special only to find out that there is no television and NO internet!!!! Yikes!!!!
We were told that they have WiFi near the reception are only and that it only functions 1/3 of the time. FREAKOUT!! What were we to do????
My wife is the director of 4 hospitals and needs to have contact with her work. I own my own company and have to stay in touch during holidays as well !!! Who would have figured that in this day in age when you book yourself in the only so called higher end hotel in Palawan that they are not connected to the Internet!!
The food was - bland and would be rank as a 2 star experience at best. Oh please also excuse the rats running around the dinning room - no I am not kidding.
All the buildings were run down and desperately in need of paint and repairs. We think the place has not been maintained in many years.
The gardens were dead or burnt out!!!! Depressing!!!!!!

The only thing good about the stay was snorkelling and the swimming pools.

I asked to see a manager for bad service in the dinning room....waited 45 minutes for our bad meal - but no manager ever came.

You get a feeling that there is NO ONE in charge of talking care of this sad hotel!!!

PLEASE BEWARE!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Nothing is worth the $$$ at Dos Palmas - do not go!!! We had a GREAT time everywhere else in Palawa...
8 Thank Johnwattup
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Service was excellent from the time we booked our trip directly with them. Our airport/boat transfers were efficiently facilitated by the resort and I appreciated the effort they took to help us maximize our enjoyment of the recreational activities available, complete with dive guides, unlimited snorkeling (not to mention the fantastic coral reefs and marine life!) and organized island hopping. The resort is well maintained and is notably engaged in environmental conservation. Only con is the limited menu available in the restaurant, although each dish that we ordered for 4 days were deliciously prepared (had to repeat some of them). Also, no wifi in the rooms, and signal quite weak even in the common areas. All in all I highly recommend the place and will surely go back.

1 Thank karenmd_ent
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you're looking for fun activities while on a vacation, this is not the place for you. The resort is so secluded that an hour boat ride is needed to get in and out of the island. But if you want a serene and quiet place to rest and relax and cut yourself off from the outside world, this is the right place for you.

The accommodations rubbed me off the wrong way though. I placed my booking thru Agoda.com which I believe is a trusted and reliable site. After a few days, a marketing officer emailed me the details and asked me about my special requests which they will try to accommodate as much as possible. Since I am with my parents who are both senior citizens, I requested for a room that is situated nearest the beach. So as to save them the trouble of walking far. Since I placed my booking almost 4 months in advance, I believed that my request will be granted since I never received an email denying my request. Lo and behold, when we got to the resort, I discovered that we were given rooms which are on the FARTHEST end of the resort! Yes, they do provide shuttle service to bring us from our room to the restaurant, front desk area and swimming pool area. BUT still, it was quite a hassle.

Food.... not much options to choose from. I liked the ham and pineapple pizza though as well as the seafood soup cooked with coconut milk.

For the trigger happy camera toting folk, not much to take pictures of. But be sure to wake up really early at least one morning to catch the sunrise. It's spectacular. And the best place to get a good pic is the pier.

1 Thank tripko4978
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Been here twice and the snorkelling is still awesome. We saw coral/bahura, a box fish, (babies of) giant clams, some kind of ray that swam off very fast, loads of starfish. Didnt see the puffer on this trip tho. Albert was an excellent dive guide and photographer rolled in one, both in and out of the water! Resort is well appointed and day trippers have almost the same access to resort facilities, except for the pool. But then again, why go island hopping to swim in a pool? Buffet lunch was adequate, food selection could be better with tastier seafood. Grilled Squid was the best! Drinks were reasonable for our own happy hour apres lunch. Beach Cabanas could be added. And parts of the beach could be cleared for a non-mangrovey swim. Dont get me wrong, i truly appreciate the mangroves and im all for conservation, but its really no fun swimming in the mangroves. If you dont like hopping from one Honda Bay island to another, this is a better, and more restful alternative if you can get a cabana with beach loungers. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Didnt get a room so i cant comment...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Princesa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & ...
#9 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
Canvas Boutique Hotel
Canvas Boutique Hotel
#3 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
BEST WESTERN Plus The Ivywall Hotel
BEST WESTERN Plus The Ivywall Ho...
#7 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
Floral Villarosa
Floral Villarosa
#2 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
Astoria Palawan
Astoria Palawan
#14 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa

Been to Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!