“Excellent staff”

Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Phoenix
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

All staff encounters were top notch! From boat crew, welcoming, front desk, bar tender, pool guy, events coordinator, etc really rolled out the "red carpet". I was there during off season so besides my friend and I there were only one our two other groups rotating thru during our stay. They really took care of anything you need. since the resort is on it's own island I was worried about the food, but out was all good! They even customized items to make it special. The chef did a good job. For example, one night while chatting with the bar tender, we mentioned banana or mango pancakes and guess what was ready for our breakfast the next day, ? Both! Activities were abundant. I snorkled, which was really good considering it was overcast the whole time. Jamar was an excellent guide, pointing out puffer fish, giant clams, and other sea life- found nimo! :) kayaks were readily available, kayaked around the island, fun. Bikes were available, biked around, fun. Lots to explore, beautiful gardens. Ok so what needs to be better? Beds were hard. Resort needs a facelift, many repairs could be done. Theses repairs are mostly cosmetic and don't interfere with the overall experience unless that stuff bothers you. Water pressure is almost non existant. overall, I had a wonderful time and will remember Abee, bar tender, Harold, event coordinator, Jamar and Mani, water sports, and many others for making my stay super special! I was there sept 16 thru sept 20, 2012.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank sam260

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We only availed of the day trip during our short stay in Palawan. The day trip is from 7:00 am to 3:00pm. Trip starts by chartered bus from the city and then a boat trip to the island. We arrived before 9:00am. We were then greeted by the friendly staff and introduced to the different activities in the island.

We decided to try the snorkeling first and then kayaking until we hit lunch time and then do other stuff. But when we tried our first famiyl snorkeling, boy, my son didn't want to go out of the water. The fishes and corals were a delight to the eyes and our curious minds. We enjoyed our time so much just snorkeling by the time we finished we were already 4 hours in the water and we were starving!

The buffet fare was a delight and we enjoyed it too with a live band. We got to request some of the oldies hits. After the buffet we were so stuffed we decided on a fun game of billiards.

The trip back to the main island was quiet as everyone who took the day trip was so tired and fast asleep but really enjoyed their day in the resort island.

Next time we plan to stay overnight in this resort so we can have more time snorkeling and maybe kayaking too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Alfonso S
Bacoor, Philippines
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I only availed of the Day Tour since I cannot afford to stay overnight with my schedule in Puerto Princesa. The place, albeit older than most resorts in Honday Bay, was amazing and well-maintained. I've been to Coron (in Busuanga, Palawan), and Coron by far is much more scenic, but Arreceffi Island is stunning in its own right. It's a relatively long boat ride, the island is much farther than other beaches in the area. Upon arrival by their shore, guests will instantly feel the warm welcome; the staff will greet you aboard their kayaks, showering flower petals towards your boat. Music from kulintang (gongs) and xylophone will filll your ears as you step on their docks, continuing even after you've had your welcome drink, giving you a cheery mood. You may go practically anywhere in the island, it's not that big. They have clear sparkling waters, may it be the pool or their beach. The staff are very friendly and accommodating, they will always greet you with a smile, and offer to help and also take photos of you.

Aside from swimming, Dos Palmas offers an array of activities like kayaking, snorkeling, diving, and eating. They have buffet with good variety, as I only eat grain, seafood and vegetable/fruits. They have an art shop where you may paint shirts or masks, or maybe a blank canvas. They also have billiards and darts, a court for tennis and badminton, a playground for kids, and a spa. The island also has a research center.

The shore has huts with big pillows and beach chaise lounge chairs with mini tables and umbrellas. The snorkeling site is a only quick (speed)boat ride away, and their house reef is rich in colorful fish, even in shallow depths. While in the water, the staff will give you food for the little fish, and these fish will nibble the feed from your hands. The staff will bring you back and forth the site anytime you wish. If you like to row, there are kayaks on the shore that are good for 1 or 2, just make sure your buddy knows how the sea works. They also have little huts in between their mangroves that you can access using wooden walkways.

The package also includes a consumable coupon (not worth much), but I was able to take away a sandwich and a bottle of juice. The souvenir shop has shirts, bags, rash guards, hats & caps, small stuffed toys, wooden keychains, other accessories (bracelets, earrings); you cannot use your consumable voucher here though. I got carried away buying here. Before leaving the island, they will give you a trinket (coconut leaf origami) as souvenir.

I enjoyed my stay there, and wished i could have stayed longer. The next time I go there, I will surely stay for a night or 2 :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank isthy
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Dos Palmas was wonderful! Me and my wife really enjoyed the trip with all the caring staff ...from Vince who showed us the place when we came, to Mike, Abi, Vince, Brian of the restaurant and to Harold who never ran out of stories about the place, thank you so much! You'll usually see reviews of Dos Palmas complaining about facilities being old and the rooms on stilts not available. Well, it is because they are renovating for OUR safety. The bridge and the floating housing is not safe anymore thus they are building another one. Those people maybe are just day tourists - paying less but expecting so much! Dos Palmas, amidst all the infamous events stands out as the best island resort me and my wife have been to. The rooms are so big, the view is breathtaking and their snorkeling staff - Victor - was so helpful and supportive of everything we needed. Thank you Dos Palmas! We will be back next month...this time with the kids to visit your amazing coral reef - Helen's Garden.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Levelalpha
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Dos Palmas is a first class resort. This is the perfect place to unwind. Skip Hawaii if you want to avoid the crowds and find pristine beaches.
The best snorkeling is 100 meters off the beach. I saw lionfish and large sea turtles every day. I suggest you kayak around the entire island.
I’m demanding and typically stay at Mandarin Oriental hotels, aside from the dining options Dos Palmas is of equivalent 5 star standard. In my opinion the food was excellent but the menu was limited if you only eat western style food. This is a very remote island so enjoy the fresh fish, coconuts and san miguel beer.

Hope to return soon but its a 30+ hour journey from NYC so might be awhile!

Room Tip: If the staff says no just keep asking unitl you get right answer. I needed a special boat transfer t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jeffatsea215
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This resort is on a naturally beautiful island with good white beaches. When we first visited 8 years ago, it was every bit a paradise. Beautiful nature, ample good beaches, first class facilities, good food and service. We visited again last year only to find that facilities were in need of maintenance and upgrade. The water cottages were in fact closed at that time for renovation. Our rooms were clean enough and in acceptable state, but frankly, this was not the posh Dos Palmas of our memories years earlier. Still the kids had a great time. Plenty to do around the island and we went on an island hopping tour. This was the other sad part for me. Many of the charming little sand bars that were scattered all around 8 years ago were gone. It brought home to me that the sea level really wasn't the same and/or the sand bars had eroded. I remember they zipped us off in a speed boat for a private lunch for 2 on a sandbar the first time around that felt like a private paradise. We went back but the place just wasn't the same anymore. It felt smaller and the sand just felt shallower under your feet somehow. It wasn't anymore pristine. Overall, having seen other beaches in other parts of the world, I feel we're spoilt for choice here in the Philippines. Dos Palmas I'm pretty sure would still feel like heaven to most tourists, and in fact it really is a wonderful island getaway. It's just that we've so many other new and wonderful places now. The Philippines is truly blessed this way.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank hav4wannatravel
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Forget boracay. If you're looking for a real white sand beach, dos palmas has it. In fact, its been my yardstick of white beaches. Went here with the wife way back and I'm still dreaming of coming back. If only the place has gotten more expensive to stay in even for a daytrip. Immaculate white sand beaches with all sorts of coral creatures guests can encounter while swimming near shore. Went for a bit of an adventure for myself here where I kayaked (a plastic inflatable actually) around the island in a few minutes. Quite tiny then you might say but inside the island its quite sizable with all the detached guest houses, cabanas, swimming pool and activity areas. We had buffets during our stay and all I can say is that its been the best seafood buffet I have been served since. Its also just a short trip from Puerto Princesa. If you've got a pretty budget for an above average stay to boracay and you'd want peace and quiet instead, Dos Palmas is a great alternative.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank techienomad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Princesa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & ...
#9 of 51 in Puerto Princesa
BEST WESTERN Plus The Ivywall Hotel
BEST WESTERN Plus The Ivywall Ho...
#7 of 51 in Puerto Princesa
Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
El Nido Resorts Lagen Island
El Nido Resorts Miniloc Island
Astoria Palawan
Astoria Palawan
#12 of 51 in Puerto Princesa

Been to Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!