“It was superb!”

Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Manila, Philippines
“It was superb!”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We went here early Feb 2012 and I just really loved everything about this place. I love the staff, the place and the food. I liked every single meal they served us. Considering that our package was full board, their servings were very generous. I was truly impressed with their staff as they were well-trained, friendly and helpful. A great place + good company = PERFECT VACATION!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shar1130f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oxnard, CA
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Last April 2012, my wife and I spent 3 days and 2 nights in this island paradise. It was a most pleasant experience with very accommodating, helpful and amiable staff and crew from the port in Puerto Princesa to the welcoming committee in the island up to the cottages. They are just so courteous with sincere smiles and all the staff were very solicitous to the guests. The cottages were well appointed with native construction materials and outfitted with solar screen panels which provides energy to each hut.( very environmental friendly). The food was great and sumptuous with a good selection of Filipino, Chinese, Japanese and Western dishes,which varies every day. This was packaged with accommodation. massage, an island lunch getaway and snorkeling. The price was very reasonable. True value for money. We also enjoyed the massage and the other amenities. On the whole, it was a truly satisfying, enjoyable and refreshing experience. We will go back in the summer.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay with

Room Tip: Choose the rooms near the pools. The farther away, the longer the walk which could be tiring on a ho...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jadedelmundo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 9, 2012

for everyone's info, Dos Palmas does not have a package that includes the meals and the diving or massage anymore. They changed effective June 1, 2012.

Here is my feedback:
1. My mom and the rest of our family visited your resort several times already and they were satisfied with the service. One of our relatives also frequents your resort . Before you should have implemented a new package – food and other amenities not included anymore – you should have retained the old package to have more options for your guest to choose so that your company would be more flexible to meet customer expectations.
2. Your guide Josh is friendly and accommodating. She has a good understanding of the package in your resort. She is an asset to your company.
3. Please improve the air-conditioning system of your shuttle bus, cannot cope-up with the summer heat even though the bus only contains 20 persons.
4. The welcoming and orientation process was ok especially for new guest. I was new so I found it interesting and educational. All of my family members have visited your resort already and recommended that I also experience the quality of service they also experienced when they first visited. They highly recommended your resort to me.
5. We had our lunch (buffet), my family were surprised to see how little the choices for the buffet was as compared to the previous one. You removed the buffet from the original package, how come the food choice also has to suffer and at the same time the quality of the food in terms of taste has diminished? (feedback coming from my family)
6. We were informed that the price of the buffet is 720 pesos (Palawan office), when we got to the resort, we were informed that it was 880 pesos??? Is there a problem with the information dissemination in your organization? For guests who are running on a specific budget, the difference of 160 pesos is a lot especially if we are talking about more than 20 pax. Mind you that this is not the first time that it happened to our family, it also happened to our relative when she also visited the resort a few years back.
7. The amenities like the pool and the rooms have improved.
8. How come there was no buffet during dinner? The choices for the ala carte menu were so limited. Isn’t it that you already know how many are already booked for that day so you can already forecast how much to serve if you will have buffet? Or better yet, you can do advance ordering for the guest and get how many people will be having buffet to avoid so much food wastages. If this is not possible (which I don’t find not possible), widen your selection of ala carte menu or get a more experienced chef to cook for you to widen your selection.
9. When we ordered dinner on our first night, it was a total disaster!!!! There were around 3 big groups during that night and a handful of couple’s tables. We ordered around 6:30 pm, my youngest brother ordered then me and lastly my oldest brother. The food that we ordered were not so complicated to do as your menu was so shallow. After 30 minutes, the food of my oldest brother came (take note that he was the last to order). My order was almost the same as what he ordered. We asked your inexperienced waiters to check our orders for so many times and no one ever got back to us to inform us what happened to our orders. My two young children were already crying because they are already hungry (it was already 1 hour that we have waited). I approached your head waiter who was stuttering and did not know how to handle the situation and was just telling us that he would look into the situation even though we already informed most of the waiters about our orders; it is at that time that he will just check and find out what happened to our orders. How incompetent your staffs are in terms of handling customer complaints.
10. I asked your head waiter if he can make any decisions with regard to our complaint, he said he can only follow-up. Obviously, he was not even trained to do basic customer recovery, even the other waiters’ needs basic training on this. Do you think that ordering the pork ribs with squid and the sinigang soup would take you more than 1 hour to make? 30 minutes of waiting is acceptable if you are full house and serving a lot of guest but if you are serving just a few tables and food serving time will be more than 1 hour, would you think that that is acceptable? What would you do if it happened to you and you were together with your kids?
11. I asked your head waiter to call the manager and you know what he said, there is no manager on duty. I was so shocked and surprised that no one was there to competently handle our complaint. He said they will call the OIC at the front desk, by this time (1 hour and 30 minutes), the food came out after numerous follow-up. My mom informed them to advise the OIC to approach us after we finished eating.
12. The food that we ordered specifically the soup had no crab inside as compared to my brother who ordered the same but he ordered miso. Is this how inconsistent the quality of food that you serve? If you want to be world class, you have to check your systems and procedures so that quality will not be sacrificed.
13. After we finished our meal, still no OIC. This shows how important your customers are to you. We still waited for around 30 minutes then Mona came. She was there to listen and give some solutions to the problems that we encountered. She was ready to help us and promised to do something about the current problems that we encountered and she also informed us to better inform management about it also. I have given her so many inputs about what to do and how to improve your service. Please discuss this with her if you value more of improving your service rather than focusing more on how to make more profit. She offered to give us 50% discount on the food that we ordered that night. She was persistent on trying to regain our trust that she can improve the service while we are still there.
14. I appreciate what Mona was doing to recover us and that the waiters were given a heads-up that they should give extra service to our family but what if this never happened, would we get the same extra service that what we are getting now? The mode of management must be more on preventive rather than on corrective. I would also like to commend your waiter Melmar (not sure if I got it right) for taking the extra mile to make sure that all our needs our met even if it is not his responsibility.
15. Dinner time day 2, we were at the bar early just watching TV. My brother was drinking that time, 6:30pm we made an advance order to make sure that the food will come early. I was optimistic at that time; unfortunately it came after 1 hour. I did not follow-up to see how efficient and improved the service was. I did not make a fuss over it and I made a decision already on what rating I would give your resort, BELOW AVERAGE.
16. Your people are accommodating and friendly but you will know who are the ones who are good if you expose them to pressure and challenges. They would still come out victorious in the end. Mona and Melmar have shown their worth and would be an asset to your organization.
17. Just to inform you, the tocino and beef tapa was not available on the 1st day of our breakfast, on the 2nd day, the tapa was available but it lacks taste and it was not that tender.
18. Can you also come-up with a kids menu if for the ala carte.
19. The safety deposit box was lock and cannot be used in our room (A02). No one checked before we occupied the room. Do you have a checklist for this one before the room is ready for occupancy?
20. No feedback sheet (guest survey form) provided in the room, the letter that was left on our table inside the room a day before we leave stated that we fill up a feedback sheet. Information contained in the letter was not accurate, flight details. I asked the front desk for the guest survey form, they told me they don’t have any stocks at the moment.

Room Tip: they are in the process of renovating but the closer you are to the beach and the resto, the better.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Jojo S
Reviewed April 20, 2012

This resort has to be boycouted! This resort is out of date. Looks like they left as is from the construction.

The welcoming is done by armed guy with AK type gun. They say it is because of the kidnapping which occured there in 2001.

The welcoming manager is just interested by how much money he can make out of you. Furthermore
he lied to us.

The generator is very noisy and make this place noisy at night.

The beach at low tide is difficult to access because it is steep.

Not really a place where price / quality is the driving force.

• Stayed April 2012
8 Thank leroigesar
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The place was nice but you have to ride a plane, bus/car and boat to get here. You can do some snorkeling, kayaking or just swim in their pools. The rooms are great as well, but those who need internet connection will have to go to the dining area to get access. If you need some quiet time and have the money to splurge on it, go here:)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank chilltravel
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Dos Palmas Resort is a tropical paradise in Honda Bay, Puerto Princesa. The resort is absolutely wonderful. Facilities are free. Food is fresh and plenty and fabulous (all meals are buffet). The staff is super accommodating. The rooms are large and comfortable.

In short, it has got to be one of the best resorts I've been to. The catch, however, is that you have to pay A LOT to stay there. I was only able to go because it was sponsored :) Nevertheless, I think I'd like to go back someday (even with the hefty price).

TIPS:
1) I would recommend the place for anybody who wants to have a great time. The place is OK for group outings, for couples, for solo trips... because the resort is huge and you can do so much.
2) Make sure to go snorkelling. It's FREE! The guys from the resort will have you take a speed boat to go to a very nice reef with many corals and fishes. They provide snorkeling gear too. Make sure to try this because the reefs in Honda Bay are getting destroyed... and Dos Palmas has one of the few that still remain beautiful.
3) I highly recommend the spa. It's very affordable :)
4) Kayaking is a must-try. It's a bit of a challenge if you want to go around the entire island, because of the current.... but I heard some people were able to do it. My friend and I gave up midway... but that didn't stop us from having fun.
5) For Filipinos.... the videoke is free!!! :)
6) Be prepared to gain weight. The food is really really REALLY good... and all meals are buffet. I can guarantee anybody that they will gain weight after a stay in Dos Palmas.
7) The resort package includes everything, so you might be surprised why the price is so high. Airport transfers, boat transfer, buffet for all meals, rooms, facilities, etc is included in the price.

Overall, I really liked the place :) It's very nice, and I'd like to be back someday :)

Room Tip: Choose a room that's closer to the facilities. Rooms that are far out are a bit of a walk.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank kmabello
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We didn't stay at this resort overnight. We took the day trip the resort promotes. At a cost of $150 for two adults and a 2yr old the price is equivalent to a day pass at Disneyland. Although the buffet lunch was good you would not enjoy it if you didn't like seafood. The resort appears neglected. Everthing needs to be repainted. The children's playground looked rundown and the steps leading to the slide was completely broken off. The beach chairs made of wood had no cushions on them. The pool had no bar.

In the 6 hours we were there you could not see a single guest. The only people you ever saw were the ones who came on the day tour. The resort looked eerily deserted. And to make it even stranger the cheapest rooms sold for $450!! The resort really looked like a 3-star resort. I can't think anyone in their right mind would spend that kind of money at this resort, not when you could get a room at the luxurious Shangri-la in Boracay for the same price. Save your money and take a day trip out to Pandan island for a third of the price!

• Stayed March 2012
9 Thank Joe M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Princesa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & ...
#8 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
BEST WESTERN Plus The Ivywall Hotel
BEST WESTERN Plus The Ivywall Ho...
#5 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
Astoria Palawan
Astoria Palawan
#15 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
El Nido Resorts Miniloc Island
El Nido Resorts Lagen Island

Been to Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!