“Perfect for Big Groups”

Ranked #52 of 183 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Manila, Manila, Philippines
“Perfect for Big Groups”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here last July 23-25, and our stay had been very comfortable, save for a short power interruption in the early morning of 24th that left us sweating. That said, let me give some of the nitty gritty stuff:
Reception/Staff-
The staff is accommodating and helpful. They assisted us in making a quick dinner reservation for KaLui the day we arrived, got the rooms thoroughly cleaned when we asked, and woke up really early to prepare breakfast for us so we can start our tours with a full tummy.

Room-
Our group is made up of 14 people (11 adults, 2 kids, and a baby), and we only had to get two rooms (room 1 and 2, which I think are the Barkadahan rooms). The room our part of the group (5 adults and 2 kids) got was spacious. It has its own living room where the TV is; in the bedroom are 5 big beds, a clothes rack, a sink, and several drawers; and there are 2 bathrooms, with 1 having a toilet and hot shower and the other with simply a faucet, pail, and dipper. There are a number of sockets spread throughout the room, so we didn't have to fight when it comes to charging our gadgets. With the room costing Php3k something per night, we certainly found it quite affordable.

WiFi-
The wifi was kind of weak and intermittent in the actual bedroom. It's a little more stable in the living room area, but it certainly works a lot better when you're out on the patio.

Food-
Breakfast is included in the hotel cost. It's actually really simple; you only get rice, egg, ham or hotdog, and coffee or hot choco. Still, it's quite filling and prepared as early as we need it.

Conclusion-
Some might find Sotera Mansion too plain and located in a too quiet a place, but we think it's a perfect place to stay at when visiting Puerto Princesa, especially for those coming in large groups.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Raitei044

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Cebu City, Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed May 6, 2013

- You must teach your staff to empathize. They should learn to put themselves in their client's shoes. Your staff should also be proactive enough to address any issues. In some hotels, staffs are very attentive to their client's unstated needs. From our experience in your hotel, our need was pretty obvious but your staff didn't do something about it. There was no water supply, your staff coud've look for someone to fitch water for us even if we had to pay considering that we told them that we haven't taken a bath yet from our Island hopping. Your staff shouldn't raise their voice no matter how rude their client is (in this case, I wasn't rude to them, just imagen their reaction if I was rude). Your hotel is nice, you should have good staff too, so you can be ahead of competition.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Yolac L
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We got more out of what we paid for. We've taken a tour package that includes accommodation @Sotera. We're expecting a small room but we got a house. We got free breakfast which was just simple sunny side up egg, sausage or ham. I would have given them an excellent overall rating except there's a mishap with my coffee. The personnel was very accommodating and they're always there when we need something.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank nyle_river
Taguig City, Philippines
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The place is great value with great service. I have no complaints. They picked us up at the airport on time with a nice and new airconditioned van. A few minute ride and we got to the place. The rooms were spacious and clean. They had a small store where you could buy essentials and a small eatery where you could order food if you wanted. The place is in the city and a 10-15 minute walk you could reach restaurants already. If you're lazy a short tricycle ride will do the same. They were also the only place that allowed a P300 downpayment per person! The rest to be paid upon arrival. I thought that was really excellent.

The tour they provided for us (El Mundo) was really good too. The food was great. Their breakfast was good. So good in fact that my wife ordered extra breakfast meals every morning and she even ordered the danggit for takehome. You can ask the staff about the danggit. One of their staff makes it for the place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ethan M
Las Pinas, Philippines
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We initially stayed on a different hotel during our outdoor activities in Puerto Princesa palawan. We are in need of a bigger space and an outdoor pool for the kids but when my sister and her family headed back to Manila, I, mom and my boyfriend was left, we have to choose another accommodation for one more night before going back home. I considered some hotels that I never get the patient to wait for their confirmation that they booked me a room so I asked a close friend on which hotel they stayed in during their trip. I was then directed to Sotera's mansion. I reserved a room through their website and got an email. I was not comfortable with it though as they never contacted me or asked for a down payment unlike any other hotels do. When we arrived in palawan, I sent an SMS to the number allocated on their website an got an immediate call. I was told they didn't reserve a room as they have not received any online. I'm wondering though why they get a website and a reservation site yet they have not received it. Anyway, I was told that they can accommodate me which I felt happy about.
We get to their hotel and was directed to door 4. It was a huge room with 3 more rooms inside, a kitchen, a bathroom and a living room. We were given a small room which they considered a standard room with extra bed. I was fine with it with the money I pay for. It has an air conditioned which made me feel comfortable though it made the living room, kitchen and the bathroom really humid due to the heat released by the AC of our room as the back part of it is also inside the big room.
The bed was okay, it was clean. I just got some problems with the bathroom door knob. It was broken, my mom was trapped inside so I have to call their attention to get it sorted. They have to remove the door knob to get my mom out of it. We were asked if it is okay to have a broken door since it was only the three of us to stay in the big room so I said it was fine.
The main door is a bit weird too. It won't open with the keys even my mom and I tried it out so I have to call the helper again. It was opened with no effort on his face. Maybe he was jsut used it with it or is it me not wanting to break any of their property and asked to pay for it.
Overall, It was a nice place to stay since it is very close to the airport and the city. It is only 5-10 minutes to the airport and the NCCC mall which is in their city. You can even get to the city by foot. The staffs were friendly and accommodating. Breakfast is included as well. One thing that makes the stay wonderful is the money you pay after, it is very budget friendly for a very good sleep you get.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 4 if you are staying as a group. the A/C of one room is inside so it makes the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ormoc, Philippines
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family celebrated Christmas in Palawan and we stayed at Sotera's Mansion for four days.

There were seven of us (five adults & two kids) and we were comfortably accommodated at Room 9 in the 3rd floor. The room is big enough for 8 adults, is conducive for resting after a whole day of touring, and the staff are very courteous, helpful, accommodating. The place is also located at the heart of Puerto Princesa and is very accessible to various transportation. For the rates they're asking, it is indeed a very great deal.

We'll be staying again in this place when we come back (hopefully soon) and I'm recommending this pension house to other travellers, especially families, who are planning to see the wonders of Palawan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JojoPasky
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 15, 2012

A great place to stay in Puerto Princesa City. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was nice and accomodating. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
#54 of 344 in Palawan Island
Balai Felicisima Bed & Breakfast
Balai Felicisima Bed & Breakfast
#16 of 78 in Puerto Princesa

Been to Sotera Mansion? Share your experiences!