“No Surprises! WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)”

Go Hotels Puerto Princesa
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Makati City, Philippines
“No Surprises! WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

No Surprises! WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)

The Good:

It's a Corporate Branded chain after all with one opening up in every major city in the Philippines. As long as Cebu Pacific flies to that city, a Go Hotel will soon follow. So what you see (and get) in one, is what you see and get in another. Standardization while a good thing for most part, can also be a bad thing insofar as being adaptive to the needs of guests is concerned.

The good is that you can be assured of cleanliness and order in the establishment, good security round the clock, cameras and plain clothesmen all around the place 24/7, convenient locations, and other basic necessities all expected standards kept.

The Bad :

We arrived at 10 am and they would not let us check in till 2pm. They charge P50 per bag to keep in safety while you putter around looking for a place to lunch. At 12.30pm they still refused to let us in our reserved room. First of all, they have 108 rooms at this property. I estimate they were no more than 20 to 30 percent occupied judging by the sparse number of patrons hanging around the lobby. Actually, we were the only couple with a five year old waiting In the lobby. So I commented that their excuse given saying the rooms are still being cleaned was a lame one. They must have had 80 or so vacant , unused, clean rooms to go. But rules cannot be broken.. Must be strictly enforced... To the letter. Policy is policy in standardized chains....

The coffee shop is adequate, clean, and in keeping with the overall ambiance of Minimal service, just a clean well lit, safe place to eat. It has the look,and feel,of a 7-11 Store. Service crew very eager to serve though...

It was practically empty when we went in to purchase bottled water. Expect to pay three times the price for anything in there-- water only P8.00 at Robinsons supermarket across the street is P 30.00 at the coffee shop. We learned pretty quickly to cross the street instead. After mall hours.. You're a captive market. Either way its win win for them for the owners are one and the same.

GO Hotel Location is right beside Robinsons Mall - a mall also owned by parent conglomerate GO kong Wei -- Tai Pans of the Philippines. No coincidence all GO Hotels are located beside Robinsons. Its about a 15 minute ride to the airport. All Robinsons are A-1, this one in Palawan looks like their best mall ever!

I reserved online on a special which GO Hotels emailed me, a whopping 60% off on walk in rates with free breakfast included.. Also a inclusive of round trip transfer to and from the airport. Plus it dovetailed perfectly with my sons 5 year old birthday so that clinched the deal. We had stayed at EDSA Manila Mandaluyong GO Hotel branch, also on a super saver deal as we were curious about such a low price for a city hotel. So we knew exactly what to expect .. Clean.. Safe.. No frills... Pay for every thing extra.

The regular walk in rate is over P2000. But I,would stay elsewhere for 2k.. Am only willing to stay at a carbon copy of Motel 8 in the USA if and only if promos fit perfectly into our lives as it did today. Otherwise your 2k is better spent at a smaller B and B which gives better attention to you.

The hallways are long, straight, and tiled. An echo chamber for arriving voices and knocking on doors and slamming thereof. As such, it was only at midnight that everyone was in and echo chamber was quiet enough to doze off to sleep.

I specifically requested on my reservation that we get a QUIET room as I am a light sleeper. They gave us a room that faces the street so at around 3 AM dogs begin barking at whatever catches their fancy. Barking stopped around 4:30am and so I was able to sleep till 7:00. My wife and son slept all night without so much as a blink. Had they given us a room that faced the inner courtyard I would have been at least been spared the barking dogs.

Room amenities:

In the room there was exactly one cake of soap and one sachet shampoo for free. But There were three of us so I asked for more.. Answer- They sell a vanity kit for P88.00.

No cabinet at all, just a open clothes hanger rack in the corner. My wife exasperatedly said,,we,wont unpack, just,live out of the baggage.

One chair. So where is my wife and son to sit? The writing desk is a fold down tray to save space. Like a seat tray on the airline.. adequate at 35,000 ft., Inadequate for a hotel room.

The king bed, is only 60" x 75" but we paid an additional P800 for my son. No cot for him. It was a tight fit, but comfortable bed. They spent money on the very basic correct items to satisfy basic needs. The bed was a good one. Bed very comfy. Duvets and pillows fresh and clean.

There is an in room safe.

Only two towels.

Flat screen tv cable works. It's a small screen but adequate.

No art hanging on the wall. Bare walls. Painted logo of hotel on wall.

Internet in room was turtle slow, today anyway... Common public areas, faster.

No mini ref in the room so all our snacks,,drinks, water purchased at Robinsons -whew- remain in plastic bags on the floor. Signs posted on the wall No smoking No Eating. Ergo, no table in the room. One chair, period.

Toilets nice and spacious. Clean. Spotless. Rain maker shower a nice touch. Shower has good pressure, good supply hot water. No bidet for toilet so it's again inconvenient. I am simply amazed how so many hotels can omit this amenity. It's very inconvenient without it, not to mention unsanitary to use only tissue paper with no wash. We always have to improvise.

Nothing Funny to report. Standards can either be good or bad depending on your take. If they could be just a tad more flexible on the check in the I d give it a better score.

All GO Hotels are owned by GO kong Wei Tai Pans who also own the Cebu Pacific Airlines, the largest fleet of aircraft in the budget no frills air travel category. Even the staff uniforms are identical to the budget carrier and the entire organization is run on the no frills philosophy. Their planes have the worst plane-on-time record and I suspect the GO Hotel was created out of necessity to merely absorb The airlines stranded passengers forced to remain due to late or even NO arrival of turn-around aircraft. The lack of closets point to the fact that the occupants are to remain packed and ready to be transferred upon moments notice upon touch down of turn around delayed Aircraft.

The Ugly:

Only two towels. I asked front desk for a towel for my son and reminded them I paid P800 additional so may I have an additional towel. Answer-- the additional charge is for water and electricity consumed by the extra child. Its P200 more for an extra towel. I hung up on her before venting any sarcasm like.... Umm, any charge for him to breath some air? Hey, let's cross to Robinsons and BUY a towel for P150.00. Yeah! that'll show em where we take our business.

The free airport shuttle is operated by a contractor -- Gulliver's Travels. The driver arranged for a tricycle to take us to a lunch place since we were not allowed to check in till 2PM. We were royally ripped off, charged P300 for a trip that I later found should have only cost P 100. I've only myself to blame, I could have simply spoken to the trike driver myself but was too busy hassling with the bags to be left in storage till check in permitted. Very short term opportunistic thinking on the part of the transportation contractor/ driver. Management should know and I hope this post alerts them to the unscrupulous behavior towards unknowing guests.

The massage service is in-room. How can one get a soothing massage with all your belongings cluttered up? Message oil on the duvet?? Not good. They could easily convert two rooms into a massage studio, separate men's and women's and they'd be full up, take a number, wait your turn..

Everything is metered, inventoried, accounted for. Just like Motel 8 in California... No, actually, Motel 8 gave some me some pretty nice bathroom toiletries included in the $ 29.95 I paid. Oh and parking was thrown in free together with unlimited coffee in the lobby with free jelly croissants too. But that recollection is 5 years old as of date. Today, however, I am reminded why GO Hotel for me is a NO GO unless their promo fits nicely just exactly right into my schedule. It had its beginnings as a classy dorm for stranded passengers and the shoe fits quite nicely for their corporate agenda. And you know what? They wear it quite well actually.. Quite well. If you prefer WYSIWYG, you won't be disappointed. They're right on target.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank MZINNSGeneralManager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Was here last week and the place is good, clean room, good service, employees are always smiling ang assisting you. It is beside Robinsons Puerto Princesa, just few steps away.
The hotel is only less than a year old.
Recommended for all the travelers.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Rapmasangkay
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed September 13, 2012

It is a good place for business people to stay in. They have clean rooms and fast Internet access. Breakfast food is ordinary, service is so so. The airconditioning was good and they provided thick comforters so sleep was good.
The stay wasn't cheap, but it wasn't too much too.
The place is a bit far from the main Rizal road, but it is relatively easy to get tricycles to do to the center of the city. Careful with colorum tricycles, though. If you see the sticker 'not for hire' then that means they are illegally operating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank TAGT2010
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have no complaints with the room and amenities of this hotel, for the price we got them. Book in advance. Their rates fluctuate based on reserved occupancy. My only beef with them is the food. The portions of their viands are so small it would not even satisfy a six year old kid. I got the adobo with egg and rice breakfast. The pork was in all about 5 small pieces, the kind of cut you use for menudo. It's that small. I thought it was a joke. I complained but they came back with the explanation that theyre the right portion which was measured at 80 grams. I swear it's not. The other stuff on the menu we tried were the same. Too small portions for the price of P150 on their menu list. We bought our breakfast when we booked our reservation so we had to contend with their food for 3 days. So I would recommend that you opt out of the breakfast offer. Robinsons mall is just walking distance so hold off your hunger till 10 am instead. They call the restaurant a gourmet cafe. They don't even serve brewed coffee there. 3 in 1 coffee is what you get.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rico J
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 9, 2012

It's a "Budget Hotel", and you're reminded of that every minute. Rude staff, extra pay for everything - even shampoo and soap, little or no hot water or water pressure. The only place I ever had to pay to have the bellman hold our bags until check in time. Don't eat at the so-called restaurant. You'll regret it. And, there are much better, cheaper hotels to be had in Puerto Princesa. Never again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MajorNipples
Caloocan, Philippines
Reviewed August 1, 2012

It was our first time to go to Puerto Princesa so since I've had a previous experience with GoHotels in Tacloban which was actually great, I chose to stay with the same chain again.
1.) The lobby here is more spacious and even the area in front which provides a more relaxing atmosphere.
2.) The rooms are pretty larger as well and provide the usual facilities (LCD TV, aircon, lamp, etc.). Bed's comfy with 4 pillows, only that it could have been with better quality ones.
3.) The bathroom is quite small but is clean, toiletries aren't complete but a set is offered for sale. You might not need them if you brought your own or wanted to buy branded ones in the groceries or in the nearby Robinsons Mall instead.
4.) The staffs are very courteous but are not yet that experienced to do multi-task jobs.
5.) Free airport service, we weren't able to make use of it since there was a problem with the online booking where you could do some changes. We also paid for the drop-off service to the airport, but only for a minimal price of about Php100 per person.
6.) Php50 fee for baggage storage
7.) Php560 fee for early check-in which was very convenient for we arrive at 8 in the morning and the check-in time is strictly at 2pm.
8.) Another Php560 for late check-out but is only applicable until 2pm. Meaning to say, to extend your check out for at least 3 hours more (since check-out time is strictly at 11am). If you would need more time than that, you would have to pay the full amount for a day's reservation.

But over-all, I would really recommend this hotel for those who wouldn't mind accommodation without pools, gym facilities, and fancy restaurants. You could do that outside anyway, especially with that vast choices of tours in Palawan.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time or earlier so you could avail of their lowest rate. They almost have the same pro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank flameau07
Pasig, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Ive previously stayed at Gohotel Cybergate Edsa so i booked at Gohotel Puerto Princesa during my stay last week.

As expected, the rate was very reasonable considering i booked just days before my arrival. The hotel is a stone's throw away from the newly opened Robinsons Mall. The parking and frontage is spacious. The lobby is airy and bright.

Newspaper was provided free in the lobby (Manila Bulletin nga lang)

The room is definitely bigger than the ones in Edsa. Wifi signal was quite adequate and reaches inside the rooms as well. Of all the 108 rooms, only less than 10 do not have windows so you'd be one unlucky chap to get those.
Big comfy queen sized bed with 4 soft pillows. Comfortable blankets. Adequate lighting fixtures, sockets easy to reach. They dont have a closet but there are hooks you can hang your clothes on. There's a drop down study table as well. The bathroom was spacious also. They only provide one sachet each of shampoo and soap but you can always buy toiletries from the grocery. Two towels are provided as well.
My only complain or rather observation is that the toilet fixtures are a bit too "cheap" hence it was a bit difficult to turn the tap on and off. Also made it difficult to switch from the overhead rainshower to the handheld shower nozzle.

We got the massage service from the inhouse spa, Sparkle and although there are better therapies elsewhere, it was good value and convenient.

They had free airport shuttle but i think only as a promo. I hope they make the shuttle service a permanent feature already.

Again, im a big fan of no-frills but clean lodging and GoHotel Palawan definitely fits the bill.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business