“Great experience with tours and accommodation!”
Review of Casa Fuerte B&B

Casa Fuerte B&B
Ranked #83 of 192 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great experience with tours and accommodation!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We travelled as a party of 5. We availed of the tour and accommodation package from Casa Fuerte B&B. I was apprehensive of the hotel since I have looked it up before and saw a lot of negative reviews. I was pleasantly surprised by the contradictory experience we had. We came at an off-peak season, so I guess that would affect how customer relations were handled. We had very few fellow guests then. During peak seasons, I would expect the staff to be quite harried. We got our room cleaned every day too. No fuss.True, the location was away from the hustle and bustle, but we preferred it. Peace and quiet was ideal after a day of travel and tours.

Day 1 – We had a late afternoon flight so we got in the hotel around 7-8pm. The driver was very nice, had a bit of a laugh with him. The staff was very kind. There was a mistake in our reservation details. We asked for a room with two double beds and an extra bed because we were a party of 5 and we didn’t want to separate. It was immediately attended to; they fixed the room as we drank our welcome drinks. We had a free in-room Thai massage with our package and we availed of it that night.

Day 2 – We ordered Filipino breakfast meals. The beef meal was delicious. And we went on our Puerto Princesa Underground River tour. Our tour guide, Jay, was very funny and very informed about Puerto Princesa. It was quite an experience, especially for those who, like me, love history. The trip to Sabang Beach was pleasant. The sea was very calm. Our underground river tour was amazing! The guide we got was very funny too. We walked around the beach by the area fed by the river’s water for a while after. We ate lunch at a buffet by the Sabang port. It was alright. We got back to the hotel at around 3pm.

Day 3 – We availed of their free continental breakfast this time. It was alright. 4 toast points, a bit of jam and butter, fried egg, piece of ham and a slice of watermelon. Then, you get a choice between hot chocolate and coffee. It seemed measly but, for some reason, it got me full, and I am not a light eater. We went on our Honda Bay tour then. We had the same tour guide as before. Full of facts and history! I loved it. We rented some snorkelling gear and bread to feed fish on the tour. We got on a boat ride to Pandan Island. So beautiful! The water and weather was incredibly pleasant, considering that it was monsoon season then. We fed the fish a ton of bread, and when we ran out, we got the rice leftover from lunch. Lunch was made by our tour guide. They sold fresh catch there too. When you buy it, they would cook it for you. I was really sad to go, but we had to go on to Cowrie Island. There was not much fish to feed in Cowrie Island. The sand was not so fine that it hurt your feet sometimes and the water was so salty. There were a lot of starfish around though. The views were breathtaking. I would love to visit again! We got to the hotel in the late afternoon, almost evening. We ordered dinner at the restaurant.

Day 4 – Our last day. We had the free continental breakfast again and went on our city tour. We had more company during the tour, guests of the hotel and its sister hotel, the Villa Fuerte. We got to see the Villa Fuerte B&B, I found it pleasant and modern, and in contradiction to some reviews I have read. We went to souvenir shops, memorials and famous landmarks and parks. We had a sizzling dish of crocodile meat on the Crocodile Farm. Very unique and exotic. It is a must-try. We were dropped off at the airport an hour before our flight. All in all, our Puerto Princesa trip was AMAZING. I would love to go back again!

Room Tip: I've seen bad reviews of rooms near the kitchens. Our room was right next to it, but we didn'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank PatDavenport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kent
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and fell in love with the hotel. It is different, very quaint with everything trying to blend in with nature. Our bathroom for instance was a mixture of stones and tree parts (see the picture) - very different but hard to walk on. The staff are amazing and nothing was too much trouble. They always had a welcome smile that made your day. The breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day. We had to leave early one morning (6am) and breakfast didn't start until 6am. So the staff got up early and cooked us our breakfast at 5.30am - now that is what I call service!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David1224
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The rooms have a lot of Mosquitoes so make sure to bring off lotion and baygon if your planning to stay in this place. Also, the serving of their breakfast was really small. They don't allow early check-in unless you're gonna pay extra.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank GPAB
Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here in July 2012 as part of the PP package we availed of. It's about 15-20 minutes from the airport and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was quite peaceful inside the B&B. There's a small garden right in the middle of the B&B so it gives that 'resort' vibe. Unfortunately, our room was right beside the kitchen so we heard a lot of clanging and banging. We also met a very kind tricycle driver, Kuya Jonathan, who became our 'tour guide' and even sold us his crocodile sisig.

Room Tip: send me a message if you want a personal tricycle driver around PP and i'll give you Kuya Jonath...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Me and my friend went to Palawan last 17/03/13 for 3D2N we arrived at 10am supposedly 0930am due to delayed flight in MNL as expected. We were picked up by a Van and reached the hotel within 10-15minutes, yes its really near, then we were given welcome drinks but we are unable to check in because check in time is at 2pm only so we proceeded to our city tour. Returning in the evening we were given our room key entering the room it has two bed, one twin bed and a single pull out bed, flat screen cable tv, a small cabinet with mirror and a small table. Inside the Comfort room they have hot and cold shower, a small soap and a sachet of shampoo and bath towels. I think it was room no. 18 were we stayed. The next day morning we had our breakfast consisting of a coffee,1pc sliced toasted bread, small amount of butter and jam, 1 sunny side up egg and a small slice of watermelon. One thing I didn't like was the mosquito they should something about it. I think they should get rid of their man made pond it's where the mosquito's lay their eggs. The staff are nice and they have secuirity guard at night. Over all it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Chris V
Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We checked into Casa Fuerte last week and I must say I was very pleased I booked them. I booked them at 7pm at night and our flight arrival was just 16 hours away. I called to confirm the pick-up. Sure as daylight, the guy was in the airport holding a whiteboard with our name on it. Maya greeted us with cold welcome drinks and showed us our room -well made up and already cold.

For every tour we availed, they would advise us of the pick-up time and they also made reservations for dinner for us in Kalui. They were so easy to talk to and had no qualms about extra requests like putting frozen stuff in their freezer or arranging a transfer to our 2nd hotel for the 2nd half of our trip (another review for Hibiscus for that). Blessy, the front desk person, did most of that. We wanted our loaf bread toasted and they did that too. even if we did not buy it from them. They provided ice for us even if we did not buy the drinks from them. :) They also fixed the room and our bed and cleaned the bathroom without us having to tell them to do so. We drank outside even after the bar closed and the guard cleaned up even if it wasn't his job to do so.

Cons: The cable failed on our last night and lasted up to the next day. But I doubt if the hotel had anything to do with the cable service going bonkers.
Don't expect much from the free breakfast. The continental breakfast was too small for an adult, even for a light eater (thus the bread we had to buy outside and had them toast).

Overall, the hotel room was nice, clean, wallpapered, aircon was cold, water heater was working and the staff was friendly and would know you by name personally. Would definitely go back to Casa Fuerte. And next time around, I'm bringing my folks with me. I know it's something they would appreciate too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan Denise B
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Me & my friends went to Palawan last July from a package tour of Living Social Sites/Network. When we arrived at the hotel they warmly welcome us guests with a friendly smile and offered us cold drinks to ease our tiresome body. We had our enough rest just in time for our City Tour. Our tour guide from the rest of our stay named Jonar "jojo" Bisnar was very friendly, accomodating and funny. He provided us insights, histories, current events and good governance of Puerto Princesa, Palawan. Our stay made me feel much closer to home due to good food, spacious room, nice hotel ambience, and good and friendly staff....Kudos to Casa Fuerte. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends