“Very hit and miss”

The Gypsy's Lair Art Cafe
Cuisines: Southwestern, Asian, Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We went to this restaurant on 13 April 2011 and it had opened just a week beforehand. The decor, both inside and out, was novel and really tasteful. Food was delicious and service great. Even the owner came up and asked us personally how we found the food and service. I'd highly recommend a meal here!
Reviewed April 23, 2014

First of all, I must admit a slight negative bias from the start as I am not a fan of gypsy-like styling (you may say, fool on you for going to a gypsy lair). I was hoping that the food would overcome my inital kitsch-phobia. Unfortunately, it didn't. The portions were either too big or too small; the promised flavours failed to materialise; and much of what was on the menu seemed to be unavailable. The deserts were again not so great - macaroons may have looked the part, but seemed to have very little almonds and the paste seemed to be a butter and sugar concoction.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Went there for a drink, the interior was impressive-pretty much like a mini art gallery. (;

Live band was alright too although a more upbeat, energetic genre played by the band would be prefered.

The service can be improved despite the good business and crowd. We waited long enough to leave without getting our change back.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

The restaurant interior, concept, live band and service were good, but I expected more on the food. The ribs taste good but the green curry didn't meet my expectations. We also asked them to cook butter garlic shrimp which didn't taste like one. If I were to try this again, I'd try their cakes.

Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Nicely decorated restaurant located in an establishment with souvenir shops. I had the pork ribs which was cooked perfectly. They have an extensive menu, from pasta to thai dishes (curry, pad thai) they have cakes too, sadly didnt have the chance to try, which is a good excuse to come back for.

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I visited the Gypsy's Lair last night and couldn't wait to write a review for it. We arrived early and had the pick of the tables so we chose to sit outside as the temperature was pleasant and the band were setting up. We were waited on very efficiently by our host who, upon seeing our inability to decide what took our fancy, gave us a bell which we could press that would call him over when we were ready. We took our time as the menu was rather large and had a plethora of delicious sounding meals. I eventually decided on the vinegar/soy marinated chicken and my girlfriend had the chicken wrap. My chicken was cooked to perfection and was complimented very well by the heart-shaped rice that came as a side. I also ordered a lemongrass slush which was everything I expected and more. The band started to play halfway through our meal and they were very good. For dessert I had the flaming mango which was divine (I seemed to choose the best dishes they had to offer!) whilst my other half had the quant, little whole cheesecake. Sadly this cheesecake tasted more like plastic than cheese so we informed our waiter. He was very apologetic and ensured us that we would be paying for none of it when the bill came. This seemed to me like a very professional way to take care of your customers and something that is often amiss when we have visited other restaurants. However, 5 stars was most definitely earned when, without our knowledge, the head waiter came out ensuring us that he had contacted their cake suppliers to rectify their mistake and offered a complimentary dessert to make up for their wrongdoing. This was above and beyond what I would expect at a restaurant with such a reasonably priced menu and amazing food. Well done to the owners and managers of the Gypsy's Lair, you have an amazing set up going and an even better team of workers.