“Blown Away”

The Gypsy's Lair Art Cafe
Ranked #11 of 169 Restaurants in Puerto Princesa
Cuisines: Southwestern, Asian, Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We went to this restaurant on 13 April 2011 and it had opened just a week beforehand. The decor, both inside and out, was novel and really tasteful. Food was delicious and service great. Even the owner came up and asked us personally how we found the food and service. I'd highly recommend a meal here!
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My family and I visited the restaurant as a last minute agenda on our scheduled visit to Puerto Princessa, Palawan. I was NOT disappointed one bit. I was so blown away by the scenery alone, the whole place was like lust for your eyes. The atmosphere was great, the waiters were kind and the owner was very gracious and as cool as a snow cone, by the way. The food was very interesting, not to mention delicious! It was so different and so unique, yet, tasted heavenly. The scenery was amazing, the whole place was so well decorated and very unique. You need to have a VERY wide imagination to come up with a place like this. The value for your money is so worth it, nothing costs over 300 pesos (about 7.5 dollars) but the quality of the food does not disappoint. All in all this was one of the best restaurants I have even been too and will be remembered. 10/10 stars! or 5/5 circles.

1  Thank AlmightyKey
There are newer reviews for The Gypsy's Lair Art Cafe

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Perfect atmosphere, lovely service and good food. We orderd the lasagne and burritos, both tasted really good.

1  Thank Annette M
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We spent an evening there. All we wanted was nice food to eat for our dinner.
We ordered pasta which came out kind of cold..and sweet and it was horrible. We wanted to return the tow pastas we ordered. and The manager came out and said "you are coming to my home and say the food isnot good" and she took it really personally instead of just switching the pasta with something else or cancel the reservation.
The waterways very ice and the starters we ate was also nice.
Bottom line don't order pasta there if you know how pasta should be made...

1  Thank Liat1234
thegypsyslair319, Owner at The Gypsy's Lair Art Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Although it is most unfortunate that you found your experience with us less than ideal, the Gypsy nevertheless thanks you for visiting The Gypsy’s Lair.

We subscribe to the fact that each is entitled to his own opinion, and venues such as tripadvisor are opportunities to express such opinion freely. The point of this reply is not even to defend ourselves with the objective of any adverse effect you may believe your review shall have on our ratings. Instead, we shall speak up on this matter just this one time, simply to frame the actual situation in its actual and proper perspective, if only to give the proverbial other side of the coin, to include actual, pertinent facts that you left unmentioned, for whatever reasons and intent you may have.

The waiter brought your orders, specifically of Pasta Gitana and Fettucine Anito back to the kitchen, informing our kitchen crew that such were sent back as you “did not like the taste,” “could not eat them” and therefore were demanding the said items to be stricken off your bill. I personally tasted the dishes served to you, which by the way were still warm and not “kind of cold” as you stated. It was at this point that I went to speak to you in an effort to clarify your complaints and resolve the matter. Quoting you and your companion, these were your complaints:

a. “we do not like the taste, it is too sweet;” “we could not eat it;”
b. “the mosquitos ate more than we did;”
c. “we will not pay for something we cannot eat.”

To take your points one by one:

a. I approached you in a very diplomatic and civil manner and contrary to your express opinion that I “took it really personally " by saying “you are coming to my home and say the food is not good," I made an attempt at an explanation with the analogy that your comments were akin to being in a host’s home, refusing the food simply because ‘you do not like the taste.’ As a diner myself, I will admit that on occasion there were restaurants I have been to where the food was not to my personal liking, but, as I had ordered the dish and so long as there was nothing wrong or spoiled about it, I did not consume it, but certainly paid for it, bearing in mind that personal preferences are not at all universal. Perhaps you will also recall that I added in light banter later after we had reached, a compromise, and shook hands, that in the Philippines, you will find our local bread sweet.

b. As to the mosquitoes, I pointed out that small an area as we have, in consideration of our diners’ preferences and comfort, we have three dining venues: indoor air-conditioned, indoor fan non-smoking, and al fresco smoking. You Madam, and your companion, chose to dine at our al fresco area. I then pointed out, again with full diplomacy, that we have no control over the outdoors save for the placement of mosquito coils all throughout. In empathy and certainly as an extension of courtesy, when your companion showed me his mosquito bites, I promptly lent him the balm I personally use for the relief of insect bites. Perhaps you will recall that you even took a photo of the balm with your cellphone. Further, I gave you the name of the balm, also informing you of where such balm was available, with the friendly advice that as you are in a tropical island, one of the essentials is mosquito repellent, whereupon I recommended Off! lotion or spray.

c. As to your refusal to pay for both sets of the pasta you had ordered, and the claim in your review that “instead of just switching the pasta with something else or cancel the reservation,” may I again remind you of my reply: that if restaurants accommodated every guest’s refusal for dishes they ordered simply because the taste is not to their liking, what protection would there be for restaurateurs? May I then point out to you further that in the course of our conversation, we reached an amicable and equitable compromise where you would pay for only one of the pasta dishes, and we would waive payment on the other set. At this point, we shook hands, exchanged apologies and gratitudes, and I was made to believe on the honour of a handshake, that the matter was resolved to the satisfaction of both parties, and that all was well that ended well.

In fin, as stated earlier, the point of this response is not to contest your opinion nor refute your choice of rating, but to give the entire story as it actually happened, and on a final note, state that reviews are meant to be fair, and that means citing all the facts, without selection of the negative aspects at the exclusion, and therefore prejudice of the positive.

Still and all, once again, thank you for visiting The Gypsy’s Lair.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Here is where you find good-decent-sumptuous food plus... an experience worth bringing back to home. The place is fascinating--interesting actually. The people are warm and friendly too. It's a happy-place, i think!

1  Thank MommyATravels
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I've eaten here twice with my family and my friends. The service, ambiance and food quality are first class. Add to this the friendliness of the staff and you have a perfect combination. My first 2 visits where not long after it had opened, but I'll dine there again and hope that the standards are maintained.

1  Thank PalawanEnglishExpat