“Escape from Hustle & Bustle of everyday life”

Palo Alto Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 189 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Escape from Hustle & Bustle of everyday life”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Whenever we go to a place for a “real” vacation, we always look for a “homey feeling” where we can really feel relaxed and free from worries & stress and that’s so far we got from PALO ALTO. The place is a nature-inspired resort. Made from wooden structures & lush tropical greeneries.

Room is clean though quite small and simple, very basic. Bringing your own toiletries is an advice. They provide toiletries but I guess not enough for your stay.

Plated Breakfast is pretty ok & better to try different Filipino breakfast everyday, from Beef Tapa to Danggit, I highly recommend you to taste “Mothsi” their own version of Halo-Halo I guess.

Staffs are helpful and courteous. They will help you organize your trips & also help you to book for your dinner reservations at any restaurant you want and will also recommend you the best places to eat.

The downside is the rough road from the outside, which needs a big improvement especially now that Palawan’s underground river is already One of New Seven Wonders of the World. So expect more and more visitors all over the world.

But overall, the place is a sure hit!

Kudos to you and your great staff!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DNG6711
ylayapauline, General Manager at Palo Alto Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're glad that you felt at home in Palo Alto. It was my dad's dream to build something that was one with the environment and we try really hard for everyone to feel at home during their stay with us.

We provide shampoo and soap for all of our guests but since we're not a hotel we don't automatically restock/make-up guest rooms without the guest's permission. We tell our guests to put up the "please make up room" sign whenever they want us to clean their rooms and along with that, restock the toiletries. Other guests who don't want to have their rooms made up just ask for more toiletries :)

I'm sorry that you feel that the rough road leading to Palo Alto is a downside. My dad actually chose to build Palo Alto away from it all because he wanted it to be an adventure.

Again thank you so much for staying at Palo Alto and we're glad to have been of service!

Pauline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Glinde, Germany
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Beginning of February 2013 we stayed a night at Palo Alto to catch a next morning flight to Cebu. Arriving in the evening in darkness from Sabang a taxi drove us to the "middle of nowhere" and we we were very amazed what to see after arriving at the B&B - and unexpected oasis. With the Palo Alto a Filippino civil engineer realized his dream to built a hotel only from wood in a fabulous and very creative design.
The service of the Palo Alto team was excellent, free shuttle service into the city centre and from/to the airport is provided as part of the accommdation rate. In essence , we can only support any of the positive Tripadvisor comments of the past and highly recommend to choose the Palo Alto if travelers to Puerto Princesa would like to enyoy an outstanding accommodation. We booked a standard room which was fine for a night but would choose a suite for a longer stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank samlah
Thank you for choosing to stay in Palo Alto Bed & Breakfast. It really was my Dad's dream to build a place like Palo Alto and constructing the place took almost 2 years because he wanted it to be exactly how he imagined it to be.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again one day!

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
In general, this place is good;
Friendly staff and owners;
The breakfast was really nice;
The room was clean when we got there.

Cons:
We booked 5months in advance. Apart from being very excited to have a vacation in Palawan, we want to be assured of the accomodation and tours. Our booking was on January 2. They contacted us just through email (being on vacation, it was lucky enough that I even checked my email that day) on December 29 (Saturday), informing us that they were not able to secure Underground River tour permits for us. It was a dismay because we are on vacation and we shouldn't be worrying about such stuff...and the Underground River is the main attraction in Puerto Princesa!..and worse, the following days (Dec30-31 and Jan1) would be non-working days for their booking office and we wouldn't be able to do anything about it. We were even hoping they would somehow make up for it, but no..they insisted there's nothing they could do about it or that it was not their fault. Luckily, my fiance's brother-in-law and sister helped us to secure the said permit.

Also, as I said, we exchanged emails and that included me requesting for a room on their second floor 'cause I have read somewhere that outside the rooms on that floor are its own lounge areas. It was just not nice to hear from the owner herself to tell the frontdesk staff to "check" the emails as if she's doubting I did so. We heard it very clear 'cause she said it aloud.

Though our room was not messy, we asked for it to be cleaned on our third day...ofcourse that would also mean changing linens/beddings right?! Coming from a stroll somewhere, we were welcomed with a clean but foul smelling room with linens and beddings not as clean as they should be. We had to ask a staff, and she said they replaced it but maybe the problem was with the laundry shop that washed their linens. So we just asked her to have it replaced, which she did immediately and asked us to check. Nice of her, but I was hoping we didn't have to ask again.

As indicated, this place is good, but like others there is always a space for improvement. Cons seem longer than the pros but it doesn't mean it was that bad. I just wanted to explain our experiences with them. :D

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carmela S
Thank you for taking time to write a review for us. We're still very sorry about the Underground River permits and we've explained to you why it happened.

But for the benefit of other readers here's a brief summary: A few months ago the Underground River Booking Office only allowed travel agencies to secure Underground River permits for their guests a month before the guests arrived meaning even if somebody booked 1 year in advance, travel agencies cannot do anything but wait a month before the arrival to get the permits.

Once we're already allowed to line up for the permits it doesn't matter if we're the first one in line, we draw lots to see who gets served first. We got a really bad number and by the time that it was already our turn all the slots for the date of your stay was fully booked. I apologize for not informing you about the process and the situation beforehand. We had no idea that it would be that difficult a process when you booked 5 months in advance.

When we informed you that we were not able to secure your permits in advance we offered you an alternative which was to go in as a walk-in guests which required your personal appearance. You wanted us to guarantee the permits which we could not do because we have no control over the permits and since we could not guarantee it your fiance's brother-in-law demanded that we refund your airplane tickets and give your rooms for free as a way to "make up for it". Sorry, but as a business we could not do that.

We assisted a few guests of ours who stayed the same date as you and who also didn't have permits as walk-in guests when they arrived and we were able to get them their permits very quickly.

About your check-in my mom was at the front desk when you arrived and she was not doubting your request, she wanted to find our who received the email and why they didn't endorse it to the people in charge of room assignments. I'm sorry it felt like she was doubting what you said, she just wanted to know who was accountable for the oversight.

Since your stay there has been a lot of improvements in Palo Alto as well as at the Underground River Booking Office.

1. The Underground River Booking Office has made a few changes to their policies and now they allow us to secure permits 6 months in advance which is very helpful to all.

2. We stopped using that Laundry Shop because not only did they return our linens smelling bad but sometimes they return it stained and sometimes with holes. We now do our own laundry so we have proper quality control.

3. We now inform all of our guests through emails and our website the status of the Underground River Permits. Anyone can now check whether or not the dates they want are still available or not.

Again we're really sorry and we're happy that you still enjoyed your stay despite of all the things that happened.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your experience and we'll continue to strive for excellence and make sure everyone has a great experience at Palo Alto.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This place is amazing. There is free shuttle service to/from hotel. The front desk' girls were very kind. they booked for us the restaurants for the nights, the underground river tour and the van to reach el nido.
Everything was perfect.

The room was clean and cute, the breakfast was very good.
the whole b&b was into the nature. there was also a swimming pool just across the little street in front of the hotel (private swimmingpool) near the great hall.

I'd like to send A very special thanks to paulina (the daughter of the owner) she was so kind with us.

We went there during the last christmas holiday and we enjoyed a lot this place!

You can't miss it!! Belive me!!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Elisa0906
Hello Ms. Elisa,

Thank you for taking the time to review Palo Alto B&B! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay! It was really nice to meet you and your friends! If ever you guys or your friends/family ever find themselves in Palawan sometime in the future remember that you have friends here!

Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I didn't do much research when we went to Palawan but I was satisfied that I booked w/ Palo Alto. There is free shuttle service to/from hotel. We were a little wary at first because you have to drive through the local residents roads and it's true, the hotel is tucked away in the woods. It was really peaceful and quiet on the compound. When you walk in it looks like an oasis... wonderful decorated wood all over the place. The pool is across the street but great setup w/ spa amenities near by.

We booked a family loft as it was difficult to find a hotel in the area elsewhere that would allow more than 2 people to a room. My husband and I slept in the loft while my sister in law and aunt slept downstairs. Very Eco friendly - you have to place your keycard in a slot to turn on the electricity.. therefore no use of electricity while you're not there.

Bathrooms were decent size however the shower stall could appear better. Comfortable space, there is a closet upstairs but no hangers. Wifi in the lobby but the signal is weak within the rooms. Breakfast / cafe setup was really cute. Each table was set up with different place settings every morning and you can choose filipino, continental, american, pancake breakfasts and it was ready five minutes after you sit down.

Service was great. We were able to book the Honday Bay tour as the price was comparable to the rest in the island. Visiting the Underground River - you need at least 2 months advance booking! El Nido is supposedly 6 hours away so plan to stay longer if you want to visit there.

The honda bay tour was great but would've loved to know that it was mostly a snorkeling tour on the different islands. The tour guide was great though.

We tok the shuttle into town in the evenings however sometimes we got done earlier therefore we had to take a tricycle on the way back. Be sure to work out the fare before you get into the tricycle because they'll raise the price for tourists.

There is a bunch of shops about 5 minutes away that has airconditioned shopping for souvenirs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank krissy1103
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My experience at Palo Alto's Bed and Breakfast / Hotel was out of this world. My family and I came from a very exhausting day and relaxed at this oasis. When we arrived, the staff accommodated our tired states with a delicious melon/calamsi welcome drink and their customer service was top notch. The front desk was managed by young motivated individuals who create a refreshing atmosphere.

To start with the basics, the room and bathroom are extremely clean. After staying in all kinds of hotels in the Philippines, I appreciated the well functioned A/C and hot water! Oh, and this place has flat LCD televisions with cable :) While one wouldn't want to spend too much time watching tv, it's convenient to monitor the weather on your trip. From the bed sheets to the pictures, blinds, and bathroom decor you will not be disappointed to how every detail is well thought out. I loved the aesthetic style of my room.

The transportation to/from the hotel is very convenient. They offer shuttle service to/from the airport. I didn't go from the airport straight to the hotel, but I did use their complimentary service to get from the hotel back to the airport. Their van is an executive van. Trust me, this type of van is better than all the local private vans on the island, with comfortable arm rests and everything. The service was on time and the driver respectful.

Outside the room, the place is gorgeously made all out of wood. Staying there for several nights, I was able to speak with the owner who is a civil engineer who designed the place! His wife and daughter did a lot of the decor, and I must say everything from the floating lights hanging on the trees to the changing LED lights in the pool give the feel of a 5 star resort. If you get the opportunity to meet the owner and his family, you will notice how the beauty of their place is a reflection of how well they present themselves. It's easy to fall in love with them and their passion to create an enjoyable place for their customers.

Their chefs are absolutely terrific. I am a picky Filipino eater, so I know how good Filipino food should be cooked. I loved their pinakbet and their crab ginataan. Best of all, which every guest HAS to try, is their twist on the Halo-Halo (they call it MOTHSI). It is one of the best deserts I had on the island. I stayed there between Christmas and New Years. They offered a New Years Eve buffet dinner (loved their pansit and lechon!) and a free viewing of fire dancers in the middle of their hotel! The fire dancers were amazingly legit! Also, they arranged free transportation from the hotel to the Bay Walk area for the hotel guests to view New Year's fireworks.

Their rates for underground, firefly, and honda bay tours are all on par with what every other travel agency on the island offers. It's amazing how standard the prices are across all the agencies. Therefore, fyi, don't spend too much time searching for the "best" deal. The good thing about Palo Alto is that you know their motivated team will properly arrange transportation and all the events. They try hard. Before I found Palo Alto, I was ripped off by another travel agency (will not name), so please trust me and book through this hotel staff.

I can go on and on about how well treated I felt by the staff, almost like family. This place is extremely well managed, and when I return to Palawan, I don't plan on wasting time looking for any other place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank B C
Cabuyao, Philippines
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We would like to thank the Palo Alto family, most especially the Ylaya Family for giving us the best experience we had in Puerto Princesa, Palawan last December 19 -26,2012. Palo Alto is the best in ambience, architectural design, service and the staffs really gives excellent service. We will definitely come back soon and share to our friends and relatives that there is a such a place in Palawan that is PARADISE.Jay & Alice Ledesma

Room Tip: all rooms are excellent