“Not recommended....”

La Charica Inn And Suites
Ranked #147 of 195 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at La Charica Inn for a wk, I dont usually complain and knew this was no 4 star hotel when I booked it and did not have high expectations. First day the power went out and everytime the generator kicked in there was a loud sound coming from the circuit panel. Second day there was no water for at least three hours( but they brought 2buckets of water in the room...(nice gesture) that same day the power went out again and the sound came back so they put us in a different room but the AC remote didn't work so we turned it off then on then off all through the night. I could go on and on. I talked to another couple fr Sweden and they were experiencing the same thing.

I liked the staff but I think the owner/manager should consider shutting it down during low season to do renovations, Yes It is a cheap hotel but I expected to get some sleep. I think they bit off more than they could chew.I don't recommend it but some may not be bothered by this.

• Stayed: January 2013
There are newer reviews for La Charica Inn And Suites

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

From experience I wont recomment this hotel to anyone.

Started with the bed without bedsheets, shower knobs keep droping out, dirty grout and no complimentary water.

We stayed there last night but oh what a night. Sleep was punctuated by the very noisy airconditioner. It kick starts itself within a few minutes so everytime you get a wink here we go again, your woken up with this noise.

Seemed like we just closed our. eyes and we were woken up with banging as they are extending the hotel. Breakfast came, and they charge extra for a sachet premix coffee. How mean is that? There isnt even a glass in the room to use to brush your teetth with.

The staff are nice though.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at the 12-bed dormitory room, which is in a bungalow beside the main building, and is close to the cafeteria. It is made of very thick concrete and the door is of very thick wood, with a very secure lock so we felt very secure inside, in spite of the gate, which was a joke. The room could have used two aircons rather than one big one, which almost did not suffice not until well into the night. The bed frames had really sharp edges so watch out. The bath and toilets were okay, although the shower did not work but pail was provided. The water pressure was low. Wi-fi was not fast. But overall we had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul Bray O
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Chances are that you're in Puerto Princesa as a launching pad to other places in Palawan, but Puerto has its charm and is worth spending a day or two. We wanted to take a break from flying and traveling and decided to stay in Puerto for a few days before heading to El Nido. La Charica Inn was what we expected for the price and was a great place to take a break from traveling. It is a "value" hotel located just off the beaten path but not far from anything. The hotel staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, and there is free WiFi (although somewhat slow and intermittent). For the price I think that's all you can ask for.

We appreciated them writing our names on the welcome board upon arrival. We liked the "welcome drink" even if it was just Tang (it's the thought that counts). Breakfast is simple but they aren't charging you extra for this. We bought some fruit and our own coffee from the market and the kitchen staff was happy to cut up our papaya and let us grab extra hot water for additional coffee so that we had a more balanced breakfast to start our day.

I think the location is great as it is very accessible to the airport but only a 10-15min walk from the main strip of restaurants and the city center.

Its a simple hotel and is priced accordingly. We would stay here again and for us it didn't make sense to pay more (the next step up is a lot more expensive) for a hotel in Puerto. This is exactly what we needed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReyShaunMadolora
Reviewed May 1, 2012

A 3-floor hotel located at the quiet Abad Santos Street, but near the center of the city, which is a few minutes taxicle (tricycle) ride to the chain of restaurants along Rizal Avenue and San Miguel Tiangge (souvenir shops) and just near the airport. It's very accessible since there are taxicles passing by the hotel.
The ambiance is fairly fine, it's like you're living in a typical house. Hotel staff clean your room and change your towel everyday. They also have water dispenser on each floor for your clean drinking water supply. WIFI is only currently available on their lobby.
The room I had was just big enough for me and my friends, but I'm not impressed with the furniture designs they have, bed and pillows were just so-so, but nevertheless, it's still a decent place to stay.
For elderlies and disabled, it is better to inform the hotel staff that you'll get the ground floor rooms as their stairs are quite steep that even I, was not comfortable taking it especially we're occupying a room on the 3rd floor.
Their restaurant doesn't always have a complete menu and is always subject to availability, but they serve delicious Filipino breakfast set every morning.
Staff are somehow courteous and friendly especially the 2 staff serving in the restaurant every morning when you are greeted with an energetic "good morning!"
By the way, bring cash to pay for your hotel balance bill as they charge additional 5% for credit card payment.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank MeSoloTravel
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I had the chance to stay @ La Charica Inn last April 6-8, 2012...The place was quiet and accessible for a ride..What I appreciated more was the warm accomodation of its staff, especially the kitchen personnel headed by maam virgie who despite a lack of workforce would always manage to smile and deliver good services to the clients...i also salute the owner miss chari for her exemplary managerial approaches, showing good public relations...the Lord Jesus Our Redeemer church of Digos City, Davao del Sur would like to say it again..."Thank You very much and may God's richest blessings be upon you always"...Godspeed!!!-from Nilda Aniñon (DavSur PIO)

Room Tip: Higher fllors have less A/C unit noise
Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank nilda a
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My friend and I stayed in La Charica last March 2012 and i found it a very good place to stay in Puerto Princesa especially for first time visitors to the place and those on a budget.

From the time we booked a room at their place a month before our trip, they kept constant communication and were very prompt in answering my queries regarding their services. They made me feel more secure knowing we were understanding each other and I had no worries regarding our stay there. They offer tour bookings and we were booked with Ellen's travel agency who had very punctual and good tour guides. The personnel were very courteous and friendly with ready smiles for the guests. They were prompt in attending to our requests. Airport transfers may not have been in brand new vans but the drivers were very welcoming and even offered tips on where to go.

The inn itself is clean and had a very home-y feel with a lot of personal decors and the lobby and terrace made me think of a family room for entertaining. They had clean rooms with hot/cold bath that were spacious enough for a maximum of 4 people since they have pull out beds. They can give you extra beddings and hairdryers per request. They clean the rooms everyday and change the towels. Breakfast was filling if its ok with you to go for a filipino breakfast instead of a continental one.

The inn is conveniently located about 2 minutes away from the city center by trike and about 5-10minutes away by foot. But its in a quiet enough neighborhood so that you can get a quiet rest without hearing the traffic or noise from neighbors.

Overall, I definitely recommend this place to those who are on a budget but still want to stay in a good place. Since Puerto Princesa offers a lot of activities throughout the day, all you really do is sleep and bathe. But La Charica helps make your stay more comfortable. I really dont think the more expensive places can provide you with better accommodation and service as La Charica can provide all you the comforts of a pleasant stay at a cheaper price. And not to discredit the other establishments but in my tour of the city, the bigger hotels are located in busy streets and tend to be noisier due to the passing traffic and people.

I agree with their statement: A home away from home.

Keep it up! Thank you for making our Palawan trip a memorable and comfortable one!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends