Ways to Experience Firefly Watching
from $32.65
More Info
from $30.77
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite part of our Palawan trip. It's a must see especially for city folks. My son enjoyed the boat ride and information shared by the tour guide/boat man. Its very educational especially that nowadays fire flies are scarce in cities. Overall it was a great experience. Be ready to pay P600/boat with a capacity for just the persons. There's five of us so we needed two boats and that's roughly 30USD for 30mins or so of a boat ride in the dark.

Date of experience: October 2013
1  Thank anythingoes
Reviewed October 16, 2013

It's like being in another world, I thought it's gonna be scary but it end up so amazingly.
I got interested in learning the Constellations as well, my daughter and wife is with me and it's very advisable to kids. Seeing the galaxy up there is so nice on a quiet and peaceful river. People are very nice, accommodating and educative. A place away from noisy and polluted city can renew your soul I would say.

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank Leo B
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about Firefly watching in PP are the guides. They know a lot of amazing facts about fireflies. Of course it was their job to tell us those things and I was just really amazed. Our guide told us about constellations too!

This is a great escape from the busy and noisy streets of Iligan and Cebu. Here you can reflect and just be one with nature. It's quiet and peaceful.

The fireflies were like Christmas lights. I felt it was the Holiday season while watching them.

I recommend this to all people who are looking for a peace of mind while in Puerto Princesa.

Date of experience: September 2013
1  Thank markanthonyermac
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Like all my other trips, I read up on the attraction at TripAdvisor before deciding whether or not to go. I saw a couple of good reviews and was a little let down and horrified with the bad ones. Nevertheless, our family decided to have it a try as it was predominantly good reviews.

I'm not sure if we were lucky by having our boat man as our rower, but he was very very informative about a variety of facts - not just with fireflies, but with constellations, planters, and plankton! If you're in to these things, scientific "Did you knows," you'll definitely enjoy the tour. Don't worry, I believe all rowers were given the proper training.

As for the complains about the tour, let me give my 2 cents. There are mosquito-like flies around so you better have some skin protection. They really aren't mosquitoes per se, and are practically invisible to the eye. They weren't too bad because we brought with us skin protection lotion and spray.

I also did not experience the long drive that others here are complaining about. Our van went to the Iwahig River after our crocodile farm visit as it is on the same route. I suggest doing the same to make the trip going to Iwahig much shorter (i.e., crocodile farm to the Iwahig river was also a long drive, but definitely shorter than a trip from our hotel to Iwahig).

We arrived a little too early. Better be there before 630pm though. Try 545-6 in the afternoon. As for the price, I believe we were charged P600 per boat that fits 3 people, for a cost of P200 each. I would say that is reasonable. I've paid for more expensive but underserving tours.

In the end, I truly enjoyed knowing more about fireflies, constellations, plankton, and others. If you've seen fireflies before, I would understand why this trip would be a disappointment. I've seen dolphins in the past and the dolphin trip didn't necessarily make my day. Others would disagree, particularly those seeing dolphins for the first time. So again, if you've never seen fireflies (or a whole river filled with them) in your life, this trip is perfect.

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank JM T
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The Firefly Watching take you on a guided native dugout boat late at night on a placid river about 40 mins from downtown PP. Watching the tens of thousands of fireflies display their "lights" on a moonless evening is mesmerising, the experience enhanced all the more when one swishes his or her hands into the waters beside the dugout which causes the plankton and other micro aquatic organisms to give off a sparkling green glow. The combination of the firefly's lights above coupled with the phosphorescent glow below provides the illusion of floating in space! Kids both young and old will love this mini adventure! Note: flash cameras and flashlights are NOT allowed.

Date of experience: October 2012