“A Pint and a Chortle at Sunset - A Grand Place!”

Villa Leonora Beach Resort
Ranked #93 of 195 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 29, 2011

It was a great trip, just wished we could have stayed a few days longer. Only downside is that the evenings go too quickly - a few drinks overlooking the sunset and moon rising on the water and a convivial banter with mine host made for a perfect end to each day - whoever needs a television in the room must have lost all imagination. Make no mistake Arthur is a top hole bloke who made us instantly welcome, and as the week went by became apparent that he will help anyone. However if you really want to get on his good side pack him a tin of Heinz Beans!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Villa Leonora Beach Resort

Reviewed May 22, 2011

It was our first time in Philippines and mostly we used to choose a kind of luxury Resort my husband working hard, but we decided to change for only quiet place without any nightlife (we have enough in Bangkok), we arrived at sundown, at the first sight we found our room lovely. the team is very friendly and kind and they went through fire and water for me because during the trip to Undergroung River they realized I was vegetarian and I could'nt eat any meat, the following day for our next journey I ate a real feast!!
So don't expect a night life or still linked with your stressed daily life: no TV in your room, the best way to forget every thing to relax completely, don't expect as well the most beautiful beach at the hotel , you would have a beach for walking or some sunbath but for sure every day the hotel propose a lot of excursions with their own boat and you could enjoy the most breathtaking view around and believe me it is! for food, fresh fruits every day, mangos, bananas, fresh coco juice! As for me Underground River was not my favorite spot, I did not regret sure, but boat trips are a real pleasure!
In conclusion, we came back at Bangkok very relaxed and happy, we forgot completely our stressed life, don't hesitate to go here, and enjoy every day trip they suggest , all of the family team are very lovely

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tipedrine
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We had a great time at Villa Leonora Beach Resort. When we arrived (me and my girlfriend), we were greeted by a very friendly staff and some fresh drinks which was quite pleasant. The rooms were very comfortable and well located - just in front of the sea (it's very enjoyable to wake up in the morning by hearing the sound of the waves and seeing the sea by the window). When I read the review on this site I was a little bit anxious about coming because he described the hotel as a living hell and at that time it was the only review available. However, our stay in this hotel proved to be the exact opposite of the bad image conveyed by the comment . The place is a family-style hotel, so the atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly. We found that having no television was no problem at all - after all we didn't go halfway around the globe to such a beautiful place just to watch television. We enjoyed talking with the owner, which is an incredibly welcoming person, the other residents and the staff. The restaurant is very fine and we discovered Filipino cuisine thanks to it. The activities are varied and all are organized by the owner which is an excellent point. Unfortunately, there is no swimming pool! (you probably understand the irony of this sentence - why would we go to a pool when we have such beautiful nature and a sea located just in front of our room?!?). When we went island hopping, instead of being in a boat full with 30 tourists (which you generally have if you book it by yourself) we had a boat for ourselves and the sailors were friendly too since they are personal acquaintances of the owner.
We completely lost track of time ; staying at this place made our best memories.
If you are searching for relaxation, tranquility, having a good time, exploring beautiful untamed nature, and discussing with the friendly people of Palawan, this place is for you!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elyes_888
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Stayed at the Villa Leonora with my wife while on leave in the Philippines for 21 days and found the whole experience very enjoyable, at the start a good Hotel in Manila was organised for my wife and myself as we were arriving on different days as was the travel from Manila to Palawan by Arthur the hotel owner which was very helpful and a good start to the experience he also organised the same on the return a very cheerful chap with I would imagine a few stories to tell but unfortunatley he was away on bussiness most of the time we were there.
The resort is very clean and comfortable with loverly grounds filled whith local flowers and fauna and plenty of interesting things to do from beach coming to Island hoping or Jungle trecking or just relaxing with a book at the bar or on a beach lounger its got it all for an uncomplicated relaxed holiday with polite and pleasant staff.
We did a few Excersions to Subterainean Caves, Island hopping, and a tour of the local Penitentiary which was by the way a hoot and very interesting and tours of Puerto Princessa which has some very good restaraunts we booked these thru Leonora or Allan the resort Manager which were very reasonable.
Mrs Stilgrove organised a fully insured self drive hire 4x4 thru a reputable vehicle hire company for our 4 day trip to El Nido the vehicle we got was well maintained and was actually picked up checked and valeted when we arrived in El Nido she also organised a beach front hotel for us on our 4 day stay there which was very comfortable and compared very favourably with other hotels in El Nido the Island hopping here is exceptional.
There are other hotels just a short drive from Villa Leonora were you can dine out if you wish to or if you go into Puerto Princessa do it as a day evening trip Villa Leonora organised transport to these for us when we wanted to go out which was quite inexpensive to do.and convenient and safer than traveling on local transport, we were also invited to the local carnival not a Rio type carnival but very enjoyable all the same and met some lovely people.

When on vaccation I want good accomodation, good food and intresting things to do while also having a relaxed time this holiday ticked all those boxes for me, as with other places Ive been and enjoyed I will vistit again and would recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavePlayle
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Four of us stayed here for 6 nights. It was like a home from home by the end of our holiday. The owner, his wife and all of the hotel staff were both welcoming and accommodating to us. The staff were especially courteous and polite at all times and were always well turned out, clean and presentable. My 80 year old mother in law was treated with dignity and respect and enjoyed every minute of her stay here.
It was the owner's birthday whilst we were there and he invited all of the staff and every one of the guests to his party. It was a very generous offer and a fantastic night. We found the owner and his wife to be both open hearted and generous with all.
Yes it is 60km from the bright lights and nightlife so if you seek this kind of holiday then Villa Leonora is not for you. It offers a variety of daytime activities including interesting trips in to the rainforest, Island hopping and the Underground River trip.
Nights are quiet and for chilling out whilst recounting the days adventures with your companions and other guests, over a meal in the resaurant or a glass or two of your favourite nightcap. We found not having a TV in the room was a great idea. We all talked together, ate together and laughed together. Fantastic!
The resort can be reached from the airport by local Tricycle and then local Mini bus (van). However we found the Tricycle owners tried to rip us off for a fare far over and above the usual amount and the van driver's tend to cram in as many passengers as the seats and vehicle will hold, with complete disregard for passenger safety or comfort.
We checked with the resort beforehand if they did an airport pick up and yes they did. So we agreed a price for the round trip. It was a great relief to be taken from door to door and to travel in comfort and arrive safely. I would definitely recommend the pick up as opposed to the local Trike and van option.
We signed up for both the Island hopping and the Underground River trips and thoroughly enjoyed both. Mother in law was given the 5 star treatment on both trips by boat crews on board and by staff on shore.
Yes will be back again for another enjoyable stay and so will other members of our family just as soon as we are able.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Wanderer183
Reviewed February 25, 2011

we stayed at villa leonora for 14 days,we just liked the layback atmosphere as we work 7 days a week to just been able to chill out was great,we enjoyed the island hoping very much the water was clear,the food was great,the staff was very friendly,the owners were easy to talk too get along with,the owners grandchildren were very polite,the rooms were very clean,the ground's were kept very tidey you could eat off them,food was nice.everything too us was great we would go back that's for sure

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElizabethChapman
Reviewed February 24, 2011

So.... I didn't actually stay at Villa Leonora however I did meet the owner. My boyfriend and I arrived at the port for the underground river in Sabang without organizing a package tour beforehand. We were advised by friends along the way that it was cheaper and very easy to do the trip if we arrive at the port in Sabang early enough. We only got to the port at 10am (which is not very early) as we had traveled from El Nido. Having no one to help us we were a bit lost as to what to do.

Fortunately we stumbled into 'the owner of Villa Leonora' who was also trying to organize a trip for 2 of his guests. He very kindly helped us and organized a boat for the 4 of us together (we were complete strangers who were not staying with him). He also offered to keep our belongings in his car until we returned from the trip. When we finished the trip - which was well worth it - he was there waiting for us (we arrived back at 3:30pm so he had been waiting for a total of 5 and a half hours).

He returned our bags and had organised a ride back to Puerto Princesa for us. At the end of all of this he didn't expect anything from us at all. I was so grateful and amazed by his gesture... to me it doesn't seem like the same person that the other people have mentioned in their reviews! Anyway "the owner of Villa Leonora" definitely left an impression on me as the type of owner I would appreciate in the accommodation I am staying and for that reason I would recommend his resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple