“Great Place, Good Service.”
Review of Raq Pensionne

Raq Pensionne
Ranked #40 of 189 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Great Place, Good Service.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed in one of the Garden Rooms at the back. The Garden is a nice little change when your traveling for extended periods of time in budget guesthouses.
The room was clean with good air con and breakfast was served on time everyday when i asked.
I would have to say the friendliness and the service from the hotel staff is the best part about this hotel. always smiling and helpful, the receptionist especially, always helping out with information and tours. I booked a tour to the underground river but it ended up canceled because of the weather so they managed to book another tour out to Honda bay for me on the day and refund some of the costs.
they also upgraded my breakfast on the last couple of days for free i think because of the cancelation of the tour, which wasn't even their fault.
The location is alright, its only a 8 Peso tricycle ride into the centre of town. 15 Peso to Robinsons shopping mall and you can organise any tours at the hotel..
the only thing i did not like was the Garden area doesn't get Wifi, only the main building, so if you need wifi access, ask to stay there.
I would stay again here for sure...

Room Tip: Wifi access only in the main building rooms. not in Garden area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Andrew M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Very well run, clean, and friendly.

They assist with fairly priced tours around Puerto Princesa, and arranging longer trips, such as a van ride up to El Nido. Additionally they recommend quality restaurants in town based on what you might like to eat, ranging from crocodile to great local food.

The rooms are clean, and the water pressure is excellent on the second floor. The third floor (I believe Room 14) wasn't as comfortable, and we had to use the bucket in the shower to assist since the water pressure was somewhat low, but still had hot water.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor. Communicate well with the front desk and they will help your...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dannavs
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Raq Pensionne defintely meets my standards. Rooms are spacious and clean. Staffs are extraordinarily super accommodating. The SMy Tourist Guides are exceptionally great (and the added souvenirs are also a plus). What I really love the most is how they help us in planning our tour. We are a big group of 14 pax and everything from our arrival to our tours until our departures are well covered and planned. Travelling in a place like Puerto Princesa will surely be a breeze if you stay with RAQ Pensionne, and for me, I definitely recommend this place for other tourists. ^^,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 83_donjuan
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 30, 2013

During our three day stay at Raq Pensionne in Puerto Princesa Palawan I felt like just at home because this hotel in Puerto Princesa is very homey and convenient. It may seem small outside but once you get inside and have a check of the place it is spacious and it offers a variety of rooms. The rooms are big and the bathroom is good and clean enough. This hotel also offers cheap prices for the tourists both local and foreign. I love the furniture in the hotel and it is as well very convenient for the tourists to get a ride from there to all parts of the city because it is located along the Malvar street if I am not mistaken. Furthermore the daily breakfast is truly delicious it is delicately prepared by the cook of the hotel. The hotel gives you breakfast of your choice so you can request what food you can have for breakfast which is really a good service for me. So then, I ordered pineapple juice for my drinks for breakfast.^^ The staffs are very friendly and their faces are wrinkled with enchanting smiles they are very friendly and accomodating. They are not tired of smiling. The place is also very clean. Choose and book your place at Raq Pensionne the best hotel in Puerto Princesa! Why spend a lot of money on your stay if you can just spend less at Raq Pensionne so if you go on vacation in Puerto choose Raq Pensionne. tHANK yOU rAQ pENSIONNE FOR THE BEST SERVICE YOU OFFERED US!!! I LOVE YOU! I will recommend you to all my friends!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Rolan F
Private
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I really tried to like this place, but the faulty service and aggravation was undeniable. To be honest, I am able to see how perhaps this location is worth the praise of previous reviews. Unfortunately, this did not transpire during my stay. I am going to share my experience, but recommend that you weigh all the reviews.

The location of the hotel is just average considering there are limited eating places and convenience stores nearby. I noticed that many of the locations listed on Tripadvsor are near the airport or the small mall. Both of these locations offer easier accessibility to places to eat and shop. This is important considering everyone travels by trike, but the trikes are overcharging foreigners.

The decor of the Pension was tropical and inviting. I definitely was looking forward to my stay. That presentation did not continue into my room, but it was clean suiting me. The only issue for me were the stains on the mattress that looked like blood. I check EVERY hotel for bed bugs, which is how I come to notice the condition of the mattress. Otherwise, the room was spotless.

I inquired the first night of my two night stay about the laundry services. I was told the service was same day if bought in the morning for 65 php/kg laundered and 85 php/kg if ironed. I dropped the laundry off the next morning and requested cleaning only. I didn't see my clothes for two days, they were not completely dry and they attempted to overcharge me by 200 php. Apparently, their laundry services were tied up and they had to send the laundry out. RAQ Pension attempted to pass that cost on to me! I had to wear dirty clothes during my stay. Anyone having visited the tropics of the Philippines can appreciate how gross it is to wear clothes twice.

Food services is exceptionally slow. They ask what time you want your breakfast in the morning, but arrive on their own schedule. The first morning they were too early and banged on the door. The second they were soooo late the food was cold. Cold eggs are not appetizing. At first, I thought it was just me. Then other irritated guests started complaining about their late breakfast. The only happy diners were the infestation of ants.

Like I said, the faulty service was undeniable. The highlight of staying at the RAQ Pensionne was touring with SMy Travel. They are soooooo EXCEPTIONAL! There are not enough praises for them. I enjoyed both the city tour and the underground tour. The guide was very warm and informative, in addition to moonlighting as the official photographer of the tour. He will happily take pictures of you throughout the day.

When I return to PPS, I will stay at some of the other hotels that I noticed with more convenient locations. That is my choice. You decide for you.

Room Tip: The rooms along the front of the buidling have the highest street noise, people traffic and exposure...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank CuriousTrvl
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I've been to PPS-Puerto Princesa 5x already, & if you're looking 4a place to stay to meet ür expectations re-value for money, quality service, superb accomodation, & best tours, then RAQ PENSIONNE is the place to be!!!!
They boast of personalized service & price beating tours that exceeds quality without compromise.
"Evolving excellence" best describes this place considering that they always have something new in each visits we had. From full board meals on tours & unique souvenir gift items each day, to on time emailed itinerary adapted to ür needs, & personalized service from all of their staff including the wacky, intelligent tour guides they provide.
What more can ü ask for?
Looking forward to RAQ PENSIONE again! Try it, you'll find ürself writing here too....
Again, many thanks to mam marian, stephen, & now stephanie!
God bless & more power!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Alshamic
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We go to palawan just to visit the amazing Underground River, one of our friend book us in one hotel along Fernandez St., To my dismay even though they provide us complete service my husband & i can't still sleep at nyt, then one of our friend who extend one nyt stay in Palawan to meet us over dinner recommend where he stay i easily agree since we have 3nyts & 4days ahead & to kindness of our friend he personally book us in RAQ PENSIONNE & We immediately move, after check-in can't comment anything at all... The hotel staff are all so nice & very accomodating...clean, big & comfortable room..Highly recommend to stay in very reasonable price..The service all worth it... Now we can enjoy our stay in Palawan with all the help of the friendly & smilling staff of RAQ & the travel agency inside this hotel... All worth it..

• Stayed August 2013
#7 of 87 in Puerto Princesa
Audissie
Audissie
#133 of 189 in Puerto Princesa
J-Lais Balai Turista (Pensionne House)
J-Lais Balai Turista (Pensionne ...
#126 of 189 in Puerto Princesa

Been to Raq Pensionne? Share your experiences!