“Bad guys in a picturesque place”

Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm
Book In Advance
More Info
$49.00*
and up
Private Puerto Princesa City Tour in Palawan
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We got our tricycle driver to take us hear.The prisoners live in a wallled off huge field and apparently plant the rice.You go to their souvenir shop and can buy crafts/T Shirts made by the prisoners.Apparently a few pesos go towards the prisoners uniforms/soaps etc when you buy something.The prisoners also put on a little dance for you.You get the opportunity to speak tio the prisoners.Some guys were burglars,some drug smugglers,some murderers.Very interesting.

1  Thank queencharlie

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Iwahig penal colony is very far. If you are taking trike for the city tour, you have to add P100 for the distance. We passed by wide arrays of ricefields & bumpy roads before we get into the main place but nothing is worth visiting there. We just wasted our time. You can only see the activity hall of the prisoners where you can witness them practicing a dance and selling some stuffs or souvenir items which I believe were overpriced. I bought two pouches made of abaca fiber at P130 because I feel pity of that prisoner who sold it to me saying that he's been there for 5 years but no one of his relatives came to visit him and only to find out that the pouches I bought cost only 3 for P100 in the souvenir shop in the city. It was exactly the same quality and style.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

first time to visit Iwahig Penal farm,its a community within a community..no cause of alarm or security tension, the souvenir shop is a showcase of the ingenuity & craftmanship of the inmates..an old building & a giant acacia tree in the sprawling area is postcard perfect! if all prison & penal facilities in the Philippines are patterned in Iwahig, I'm sure the totality of reform & transformation of prisoners is achieved.

1  Thank raymmiconmapper
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I still can't get the thought that I was in a place where prisoners were everywhere and I had the chance to interact with them as well!

The vicinity was huge that it's almost like a province on its own. There were farms and houses inside the vicinity. Entering the place was like visiting a barrio, you see huts and Spanish-like building structures. Prisoners clothes were color coded depending on how they behaved. Blue shirted prisoners have more freedom than the others as they have good track record. Brown shirted prisoners still have guards with riffle around them. It was a scary but humbling experience.

Best of all, the prisoners showcase their products and even danced to the tune of Psy's Gentleman. Good job boys!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Well worth the visit. This was my favourite part of the tour of Puerto Princesa. Thought when they told us we were visiting a penal colony they meant a disused one, not one with inmates in. The road into the prison had more potholes than road, so if you suffer from a bad back beware. On arrival we were shown into a large hall and greeted with dancers. There was a huge selection of souvenirs to choose from. The inmates are there to help with your selection. I chose a necklace and one of the inmates took it away and inscribed my name on it, very helpful. I did have a good chat to some of the inmates asking for money so that they could buy some extra food. Have to admit I did give them my change when I left the hall. Hope it didnt go towards making a prison break. The souvenirs were more expensive than what they would cost at other stalls in town but it was worth it for the fun value I got.