“Hotel that has a price of a pension house/backpacker's inn”
Review of A&A Plaza Hotel

A&A Plaza Hotel
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Manila
“Hotel that has a price of a pension house/backpacker's inn”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I knew about this through a deal site. We paid for Php1200 ($26)a night. Almost the same with decent backpacker's inn in the area but with hotel amenities. The price include free airport transfers and free breakfast. Breakfast is surprisingly good and has a wide variety. They offer bacon and fish native to the area. Coffee seems to be instant. Juices are powdered type.

Services are excellent. Service with a smile. They are prompt with our requests.

Ambiance looks "trying hard". The hotel looks new but interiors are poorly designed.

The bed looks comfortable but when I woke up my back hurts.

A lot of storage areas like cabinets and drawers. Complimentary coffee and tea in every room. Free WIFI!

Hotel location is very convenient. 10mins from airport. Easy access to tricycles. There is a salon and travel agency within the building. Mercado de San Miguel is near which offers cheap souvenirs and cheap south sea pearls. Hotel is 10-15mins tricycle trip away from public market (for cashews and fresh seafood) and popular food hunts.

Great value for a promo rate. I'd recommend this hotel instead of other pension house or backpackers inn.

5 Thank I_Am_Gretchen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed at A&A last July 28-31. We were able to avail of their 599php per night. I could say it has been one great experience.

The service was excellent. They cleaned the room every day even without asking them to. The staff were friendly and very accommodating.

Their food was excellent as well! And service was fast. Very affordable too.

The only setback was that you can actually hear the noise from outside your room. You can even hear the guests occupying the top floor from your room.

Well, it was a minor setback for me because what's important is the service and value for your money.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank scrappydoodledoo
Pasig, Philippines
Reviewed August 1, 2011

It was my first time at Puerto Princesa City, Palawan. I came there with my brother last February 2011. As I was browsing different sites for a budget hotel, I stumbled upon A & A Plaza Hotel. Well, I took the contributors of tripadvisor and gave it a try.

Well, the reviews never failed me. As soon as we arrived at the airport, the hotel shuttle picked us up. The hotel driver was very friendly and became our informal tour guide. The receptionist though was kinda slow since they had to double check the reservations I made. Good thing they had welcome drinks to buy us time.

The rooms given to us were already clean and ready to be occupied. They had comfortable beds, an LCD cable TV, electric kettle, set of coffee and tea and a safe (which I find very useful). The bathroom is spacious enough with all the vanity kits needed. They have rainshower head which impressed me.

They also have free buffet breakfast which served not only impressive Filipino dishes but also continental as well. We enjoyed their good cooking and table presentation.

All in all, the stay at A & A Plaza Hotel is superb! I will definitely go back! A value for money and excellent service! Kudos to the management!

Room Tip: tune in to A & A's official website for their year-round promos
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank ljcute
brussels
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The hotel is located at an important crossroads in Puerto Princesa a little outside the centre, it is an architecturally impressive building from the outside, it looks like a 4 star place.
The reception is also like an important hotel, you feel special, there is a huge atlas and the young receptionists are exceptionally pretty in their well cut red outfits. You feel good , it has all the accoutrements of top hotel, so far.
This illusion is cut short somewhat by a young man from the hotel offering you a welcome drink while you are AT the reception desk , completely ill timed ! The drink was warm, room temperature, but was VERY welcome despite the poor timing. The drink SHOULD be offered when the clients are SITTING, or AFTER registering at reception. Requests for ice were met (kindly) by the same young man attempting to pour ice in my bright pink drink which would have resulted in a large PLOP and SPLASH of the drink splattering my nice white shirt. Don't get me wrong, it was VERY welcome and CLASSY, just a little ill-timed, note to management !!!!
We took a standard room, it had NO window, the special offer, i think only is for standard rooms without windows like ours !
You are shown to your room , it has 4 levels, and uses the American numbering system of floors (Ground is 1, First floor is 2 etc), Philippines being a former American colony. The room is small and OK, nothing special, the bed is springy and a little noisy (especially for couples ;-) ). Our room had a dividing door, and so soundproofing was consequqnrly none existent, we heard all the voices and TV of our neighbours (schoolteachers, watching the Azkals (Philippines national football team) play !
But bed was OK, bathroom ( C.R. to Philippinos )had a funky blue designed sink, but it was small, and i am sure that many a westerner has banged his/her head while using the C.R. THe room was newish, but seemed a little battered already. Everything worked OK, it just used cheap Chinese things, seeing it was a Hong Kong owned place (i may be wrong).
It was OK for the price, i must say, and seemed to attract Filipino seminar attendees as well as a few tourists.
The chinese resturant on the 4th floor was quite empty, but the food was very tasty, i found , although several items that i requested were not in stock ( no white wine !! ). It also was a very good price, huge two person meal for 14 USD total
We slept well, aircon was strong , efficient, but a little too strong in a small room !
The next morning, we woke up late, several of the breakfast items were low in stock. It was a little basic, but OK, nothing was poor ! Coffee very good, and a few western items. Checkout was rapid, efficient.
All in all, it was a cheap 3 star experience, it made a big effort to be like a very good hotel, but it was made in China cheap copy experience, not quite as a good as a real 3 star hotel. But price/quality was quite good, 32 USD a night with special offer for 2 , including breakfast. Try it for yourself , don't listen to me !

2 Thank Martin P
marikina
Reviewed July 21, 2011

we availed of their " lovers leisure packages" which includes round trip airport transfers,welcome drinks, complimentary fruit basket, lunch at palayok at bilao and taraw resort, dinner at AA hotel and kalui restaurant., breakfast, if the hotel has many guest ,your breakfast will be buffet and if not you'll choose filipo or continental breakfast.
city tour and underground river tour is also included in this packages. when going to under ground river tour , the hotel doesn't provide a beach towel you have to rent and pay php250 each towel. so i asked the staff if we can bring out their supplied bath towel in our room, luckily they allowed us,so we did not spend a single peso for a towel.
the hotel is 10-15 minutes away from the airport and accessible to many restaurant, shopping center etc..
services were reliable, from pick up and drop off, always on time. staffs are very accomodating.

Room Tip: pick a room with window so you can see whats happening outside the hotel.
2 Thank thessam
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed June 13, 2011

In my point of view, the tourism industry of Puerto Princesa is more or less standardized. Hence, no tourist should feel ripped off or shortchanged during a visit to this charming city. Just like the city, A&A did not disappoint my family.

I chose to stay here because A&A front desk personnel were one of the quickest to respond to my email inquiries. When we arrived at the airport, the hotel van was there to whisk us off to the hotel. Check-in was a hassle-free; our rooms were ready and in order. Best of all, we were allowed to check-in at 10 am (June is the start of the low season anyway).

The rooms are spacious enough for a standard provincial hotel. Bathroom is clean and all fixtures are modern and functioning. The elevator is out of order, but the hotel is only 4-stories high anyway. Breakfast is good, plentiful and typically Filipino.

Booking for tours (e.g. Subterranean River, Honda Bay) is very easy and efficient through the front desk. And they remind you of pick up time every time they'd see you.

Although the manager/ owner is a man of few words (i.e. quiet and goes about doing his own business), he is very hands-on and his being regularly present assured me of good and efficient service from the staff.

A&A Plaza Hotel met all of my expectations and I would definitely recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank stephenco
Taichung, Taiwan
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The service at A&A was great~ always willing to go out of their way to help you out by setting up tours or suggesting restaurants.
Very convenient with tricycle drivers right outside ready to take you anywhere: our driver took care of us all week and had the best suggestions for tour groups, restaurants and shopping.

Make sure you request a double bed and a window if you want it~ most of their rooms have single beds and are located in the center of the giant building so no windows.

Overall though- great place to stay for a really affordable price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple