“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #70 of 189 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Manila
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The reservation transaction was fast and efficient and they arranged all our tour packages. The staff are attentive to our needs and are always approachable. Since we traveled with another family, I booked two family rooms which are located at the top most floor of the building. We had the entire floor to ourselves. Also, there is a nearby beach, only 5 minutes walk from Kookaburra.

More details on http://kulasatomasino.blogspot.com/

Room Tip: For four or more persons, book the very spacious family room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank IskaMae

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 11, 2012

good and quiet place to stay, the staff are friendly, accommodating and approachable, the manager welcomed us. the beach at the back of this lodge, few minutes walk is clean and has a very fine sand though the way is dark in the evening, there are no lamp post. very accessible place to go to the city proper and to famous restaurants like badjao seafood restaurant.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank jerai
Bexhill, UK
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in the top floor suite, which has an all around private balcony with views over the countryside and bay. The room is huge, very well furnished and with really good quality bed and linens. Service was very friendly, and the breakfast was served in the room, and was of good quality and preparation. Everywhere spotlessly clean, and staff efficient. The receptionist King was ready to help whatever the reqyuirement.
The hotel is a ten minute tricycle ride out of town ( Pesos 30 to 50 depending on the time of travel. In the evenings 50 because of lack of any passengers on the return journey). Beach next door is dreadful and not worth the 5 minute walk there.. Generally fairly easy to pick up a tricycle outside - never a problem getting one back from town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RichardBexhill_UK
Macau
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Kookaburra is a clean no frills hotel and the staff are friendly. It certainly isn't the most amazing hotel in Puerto Princesa. I must also point out that the nearby beach is far from pristine. I thought it was a bit crappy actually with rubbish and mud floating in the water. At high tide there isn't even a beach. Also the short walk to the beach involves running the gauntlet of motorcycles, thick mud, dogs and rubbish.

If you want a clean budget hotel then this will do for you, but beware the tiny rooms, the water pump that kicks in every 15 minutes outside Rm 201, the noisy air conditioning (I had to stick tissue in my ears and I am a deep sleeper) and some crazy cackling bird/insect that actually sounds like a kookaburra. Oh, and the rooster that will wake you up at sunrise or earlier. Apart from that the place is okay and the staff are friendly and moderately helpful. I guess I should put that latter comment in context: when I asked about certain places I was told they were closed but after further investigation found out that they were actually open, they didn't even bother to call the places up just said sorry they are closed. This happened with the butterfly park and some restaurants. It made me lose trust in their opinion and made me suspicious that the staff were looking for commission from places rather than just being helpful.

If you're on a budget then you'll be alright but don't forget the earplugs.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FollieAdeux
Quezon City
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband stayed here in Kookaburra for two nights before heading back to Manila. We stayed in Sheridan Beach Resort in Sabang two nights earlier but wanted to extend our vacation in Puerto Princessa.

The lodge is owned by a retired Filipino living in Australia. If you notice the place has an "Australian Theme" from the Aboriginal artwork prints on the walls, to the name of the lodge itself. The nice part of this lodge is that its a five minute walk to Pristine Beach. There is a dirt path that you can walk to and the entrance fee is 20 pesos per person.

We booked a suite room for about 1,800 pesos which is the most expensive room they have. We had a corner room on the second floor which faced the forest which was nice. The room is very basic. Queen bed with aircon, bathroom with toiletries. If you are two large and tall people like we are, it may be a problem as the bathroom was small. But the room was clean and the place is relatively new so it does not have that run-down feel that some budget accommodations have. Forgot to mention that for 1,800 pesos that already includes round trip airport transfers (5 min from the airport) and daily set breakfast for two.

But what makes Kookaburra great is their excellent staff. They are wiling to help and get you your last minute tour arrangements. No request is too much for them. Everyone from Kuya Vong our driver to the Butch and his Front desk Staff, King and Queenie all made us feel welcome. I must mention that the caliber of professionalism and service displayed by the staff at Kookaburra was far more exceptional than the service my husband and I received in Sheridan Beach Resort (a five star resort). --- more on that on my next review.

Cheers Kookaburra we will be back!

Room Tip: corner rooms facing the forest are good and quiet. if you are a larger family they have two large r...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank theosos
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This Hotel and service took me by surprise. I had never heard of it before but because it was themed around my home country I decided to give it a shot.

It's one of, if not the best place I have stayed in Palawan. The service of picking you up or even dropping you off as far as 2 hours away is amazing service.

From day 1 the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Always smiling and ensuring you were enoying your stay. This is the first place in Palawan I was asked if I'd like to have my room cleaned.

The rooms were great, not much in views but great in terms of comfort. Cable TV, Hot and Cold shower. Comfortable beds. Great Aircon, though it did have its cons.

The Cable TV was on majority of channels fuzzy with bad reception and would sometimes cut out, this was a bit annoying.

The bathrooms are one of the smallest I've been in. Felt like an afterthought during construction. I found myself squeezing between the toilet and the door to get to the sink.

Additionally Wifi was pretty bad signal too in rooms but fine in the lobby.

The location itself is pretty far out and not much transport passing to pick you up. I found myself walking up a wet road for a while looking for a tricycle to get to a wedding, the hotel doesnt have enough transport options.

But other than that there wasn't much else to fault at Kookaburra. The breakfast morning room service will blow you away, in a good way. I'll keep that for you to see on your own. I'd hate to ruin it.

I'd recommend this place to anyone, the only thing i truly hate is trying to get a room. It's always booked. So book well in advance.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank EnsReviews
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I would absolutely recommend Kookaburra Travel Lodge to anyone traveling to Puerto Princesa.

We stayed at Kookaburra for 5 nights and it really felt like a home away from home. The staff at the hotel were welcoming from our pick-up at the airport, to ensuring that our room had met expectations, and to allowing us to select our included breakfast choice right before bedtime. We stayed with other relatives and woke to a private served breakfast every day, which was the best start that we could have hoped for!

Staff had a great local knowledge and having not booked our underground river tour, they had miraculously been able to book us in and didn't stop trying until they achieved a result. For that, we were very grateful. Every other tour was great also, and staff were full of recommendations and suggestions.

There was an amazing private beach within a 2 minute walk that was in pristine condition, and absolutely peaceful. It is a great spot where we always had a restful sleep. We did need transportation into Puerto Princesa City, however, the hotel always had been able to quickly arrange it for us or take us in themselves.

The rooms were neat and tidy, and as we left for the day the keys were left with the staff to turnover the rooms.

We also had an incident where we had lost our camera after checking out; we called Kookaburra and they kindly took a trip to the airport to help us locate it. How's that for great after sales service?!

Overall, we were sad to leave Puerto Princesa and would only ever go back to Kookaburra. Great value for money, great service, great experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends