“Unique Designs; Excellent Service; Perfect Location”
Review of The Lotus Garden

The Lotus Garden
Ranked #41 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I was in a hurry when I accidentally met an Australian couple in the airport of Puerto Princesa, since I am looking for a cheap accommodation, they took me to this hotel. After a 2 minutes ride from the airport in a motor with cart...which I forgot the local term...At first, it looks expensive for me since I noticed that the garden is not an ordinary garden, its awesome! It is unusual to have a garden like this inside the city where lotus flower blooms, koi fishes and waterfalls and everything is green. I already read some comments about mosquitoes and insects and frogs but its so common to this kind of garden with ponds, expect animals they are everywhere, its just shows of a balance nature of this place. Actually Palawan is a Last Frontier, what do you expect?... Some people are just really pathetic and overacting in putting down comments since they are not traveling all the time. Everything is a big deal. Anyway, Good to my eyesight actually, that even pieces and things are unique, tribal and expensive. I love the restaurant too its like an old Japanese tea house. I was amazed that the room price was so cheap, its only 1500 per night in peso but actually the room is unique like a room in paradise with a style and setting, the bed is king sized, big Tv, airconditioned, hot and cold shower and very relaxing. Very cheap price for this comforts. Since this is just a tourist inn but room designs and garden are bests.
When we arrive right at the front gate staff was so warm and smiling, they helped us to carry our things. Since the first day until we check-out I've never seen them in frown faces; so very approachable and ready to serve all the time....they treat us like friends not guests, they shared many stories...I dont know if some are real...they are cool...:D
Since I am a traveler, I just noticed some part of the room needs a special attention like faded walls but its very common in every hotel that needs maintenance all the time, its not a 5 star hotel anyway and price is so cheap. Not a problem to me.
My relatives will be in Palawan next year, I will recommend this place and I want to come back here.

Room Tip: The room with a private garden and open bath is really the best room for me...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Prince A

Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

The place and the room looks nice and the food (complimentary breakfast) is ok. I liked the restroom as well because it is unique. However there are a lot of things they have to improve on. 1st, the garden area is infested with mosquitoes. 2nd, upon arrival the manager told us to wait in the restaurant while they prepare the room. They made us wait for 30 mins just to find out that the staff whos suppose to fetch us forgot all about it. Lastly, the manager did not give us a schedule on what time our tour guide will fetch us. we were up very early on the first day of our tour and ended up waiting for hours.on the 2nd day one of the staffs woke us up to let us know that the van and the rest of the tourist are already waiting for us. All in all its a poor service.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank miyakashikamaru
Reviewed December 4, 2011

At first I liked the funkiness of this place, but eventually it lost my affection. The outdoor bathroom was cool, but poorly designed. The shower didn't drain. How could it? The drain wasn't at the low point of the shower area. The shower controls are mounted 12 inches above the floor! Why? There is no place to put the soap, towel or anything else. Many other shoddy items. The final straw was the day I misplaced my key. I advised them about this when I left for a tour and asked them to lock the room. I believe they acknowledged this. When I returned at 3 p.m. I found the room unlocked, and not even cleaned. They left my room unlocked all day and never cleaned it. When I complained they didn't apologize, explain, anything. They just grunted and walked away. Not just poor training, no training. Skip this place.

Room Tip: Try another place with good reviews.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Don W
Reviewed November 17, 2011

If you are planning to visit Puerto Princesa, please avoid Lotus Garden Restaurant and Suites.
The rooms does not have a refrigirator where you can store any pasalubong so as not to be invaded by rats. Their toilet & bath drainage system is very bad that water will flood the floor after having a quick shower, not to mention the hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold-cold-cold-cold...... water. I guess that is the reason for unlimited mosquitos.

The accomodation includes breakfast i.e. three slice bread with butter or cheese and jelly, fried egg, a few slices of fruits, and coffee without any other choice because you must wait till 10AM if you want to order from their menu. By the way, their buffet dinner is very forgettable.

Can you believe that the rooms does not have telephone? Hence, if you need their 15hr room service, you have to go out of your room to request something from their staff. I even have to ask for towels and some personal kit which is normally available in any standard hotel.

This Lotus Garden should close their business.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travellingwilburrys
Reviewed November 15, 2011

we struggled to decide where to stay in puerto and in the end settled on lotus, it is literally next door to the airport! so dont get overcharged for a taxi there! we had a huge room with 2 double beds and altho the pictures on the website look great, in reality it is poorly kept and a lot of cracks have been smoothed over but noticeable in the light of day.

we had a frog in the bathroom....! not the worst animal to find i guess!

the all you can eat tepinyaki and sushi evening was a bit of a farce, the puddings were inedible and we had to wait ages to get any food as their was one chef cooking 2 strips of meat at a time, was a little bizarre.

we booked our bus to el nido through the hotel and were left waiting on the side of the road at 6am for an hour. no-one from the hotel (once they arrived) could help or tell us what was happening. we thought we were going to be stuck there another night when the taxi finally arrived. unfortunately we were last to be picked up so myself and my girlfriend were squashed in the front next to the driver whilst everyone behind got to nap we couldn't really. not the hotels fault but the lack of communication in the morning was less than ideal.

there must be better (cheaper) options in puerto

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lah1308
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed at the Lotus Garden for 2 nights and that was enough. The day before we checked in we looked at the place and reserved a certain room only to find out the next day that they gave it to someone else. There were rats crawling in the ceiling all night, the room had cockroaches and my wife got eaten alive by mosquitoes. We booked a trip to Honda Bay for our last day and found out an hour into the trip that we were going to the Underground River, which we had visited 3 weeks earlier. By the time everything was sorted we only got to spend a few hours in Honda Bay and got charged for the full day. If this wasn't bad enough, several people had their rooms broken into on our last night and coincidently all of them were leaving the next morning. A woman told us she woke up at 4 am and saw a man hiding in the dark, so she screamed. The next morning a worker told her that she probably saw a monster; none of the people could stay and do anything about it because their plane left the next day. Management said this has never happened before, but on the way to the airport the taxi driver said it had happened at least 3 times. My wife and I stayed at several hotels during our vacation that were much cheaper and not as fancy and we had far superior service and felt safer and more comfortable than our stay at The Lotus Garden. I think that you can get much better value for your money elsewhere in Puerto Princesa, try the Hibiscus Garden.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Harrisjch
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Super friendly staff and great all you can eat buffet. Rooms are good. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple