Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Blue Palawan(Puerto Princesa)
  • Pool
Aziza Paradise Hotel(Puerto Princesa)
View Hotel
Go Hotels Puerto Princesa(Puerto Princesa)
View Hotel
Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel(Puerto Princesa)
Holiday Suites(Puerto Princesa)
View Hotel
Citystate Asturias Hotel(Puerto Princesa)
Hotel Centro(Puerto Princesa)
  • Breakfast included
A&A Plaza Hotel(Puerto Princesa)
View Hotel
All reviewsfree shuttlelow tidebeachfront hotelshuttle servicesliding doorlounge areathe hotel staffocean viewthe hotel offersfree coffeethe ground floorunderground riverswimming poolrobinsons mallfamily vacationrelaxing staybuffet breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I am writing this review in the wee hours of the morning on our last day in this hotel because I cannot sleep due to itching that sand mite bites have caused me.

In fairness to Microtel, they have a warning statement posted inside the bathroom to protect ourselves from sand mites locally known as niknik by applying insect repellants which they provide as one of their complimentary.

Upon checking in, my girlfriend and I slept for a couple of hours until dinner time. I still do not have the bite and itch upon waking up so this could not be a bed bug. We seated outside the restaurant area for dinner. I cannot recall if it was concrete or tiled floor but I am sure it is not the shore yet. After dinner I felt some itch on my legs and thought they were mosquito bites, still no visible marks then. After dinner we walked on the shore going to the hotel’s complimentary coffee and tea area where we sat on the lounge chair for a while before my girlfriend went up to our room to take a shower. I transferred to the lobby area and sat on the couch and after spending quite some time there, a noticed this red itchy marks on my left arm and forearm. I was not really bothered yet so I just brushed it off until the next day when I showed and asked some of the staffs if these were sand mite bites which they confirmed. The receptionist advised me to continue using insect repellant and that they are going to send additional supplies.

I took an antihistamine and bought a cream downtown which our tour guide recommended very effective for sand mite bites. I thought it will be sufficient but I should have gotten something to relieve the itching as well. Far away from the nearest drugstore in the middle of the night, I realized that the hotel must be doing something to ease my suffering. Should I have known that there were sand mites in the hotel that would cause me this much itching, I should not risk booking here in Microtel Puerto Princesa. I went to the receptionist and voiced my sentiments and asked if they have anything to alleviate the itching. Thankfully they have a sachet of Calmoseptine Ointment in their medical kit.
Not everyone will be bitten. My girlfriend was not, thankfully. I do not know who will and who will not. I was even joking around with my her that only those who are yummy will be bitten. But if you have a sensitive skin, please be cautious and reconsider. Microtel Puerto Princesa has an excellent service, rooms, and location – nice beach front with the sea, sand and the sun. But do you deserve to share all of these with the sand mites?

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard L
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

First of all thank you for posting a review though you were really bothered by the sand mites you still found our hotel to have an excellent service, rooms, location with a nice beach front with the sand and sun. Regarding the sand mites; I know from first-hand experience that they can be quite irritating, I recommend Calmoseptine Ointment (ZInc Oxide+Calamine) it's great at treating the itchiness and swelling. Its has been a daily routine for us to have a process of removing undesirable insects or pests from areas specially within the perimeter and vicinity of the hotel, mostly this sand mites lurk around the farther most area that are not covered with our pest management specially within the mangroves which is their natural habitat. Still, it is best to be safe by applying some insect repellent whenever you plan to explore the great outdoors. Citronella spray and virgin coconut oil works, too.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

The hotel was not too far from the airport and was right on the beach. The sea breeze was refreshing, the pool, nice and warm. Breakfast was enjoyable, with a lot of choices, from the traditional Filipino breakfast to fruits, cereal and continental goodies. The rooms were clean and functional, spacious. For sightseeing, the hotel was a great pick-up point, also a few minutes to the souvenir shops.Overall, a very good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. We definitely appreciate all guests comments specially coming from a top contributor like you. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Let me start this review with who I am. My family knows I am a picky traveller and I have over 15 years combined experience in the areas of customer service, PR, events, and marketing with a world class airline and with top european car manufacturer. Therefore, I would like to think that I know a little thing or two when I assess service, facilities, and people in the service industries.

My family (2 adults, 1 nanny, 2 kids - 7 and 2 YO) stayed at Microtel Inn PP for 4 nights and I was blown away at the level of customer service they had for EVERY SINGLE DAY we stayed in. Considering it is a small property, I was pleasantly suprised with the 5-star attention and service we received. Room is no-fuss, 2 Queen beds and a small closet (this is not a deal breaker but with kids, you know you need large closets for all their stuff and equiment). Towels, linen are always fresh. Toiletries are refilled and extras are given with swiftly with no fuss. Thoughtful enough to provide insect repellant in convenient sachets! Staff members always smile and greet you everywhere they go. In particular, the front desk staff and Christian are the people who impressed me the most. Caring, attentive and always sunny in disposition.

LOCATION
A little far from the city proper but free hotel shuttle services leave promptly to take you to a nearby Robinsons mall where you can take Tricycle ride (boards 2 adults + small cargo) to the city for P70-80 (little less than US$2)/ way. Just book ahead with Front desk to arrange schedule and pick up from mall. Ride to city is relatively safe about 15 mins. Hotel can arrange private vans for you to use (4hrs/ 8hrs) but booking yourself ahead may save you a few hundred pesos as usual.

FACILITIES
The best part of this propery is it's smart and compact. Just right perfect for families with small children. It has a large pool fronting restaurant, small compact playground and a pocket sand castle area so for kids can do their activities while the adults lounge in the pool or hang out in the restaurant. The kids favorite spot would be the sand area (with sand toys!) outside our room facing the beach. Slide off the door and voila, the kids can sand-play outside your door! They even have a large vessel filled with water so kids don't have to go to the ocean to "wet" their sand. So convenient. My husband laid on the hammock while the kids played.

LOBBY
Free coffee 24/7 hours! Wifi is available and ideal place to chat with friends or do extra work (like my lawyer husband) while kids are showering etc. Very balmy and airy because it's an open area facing the beach.

RESTAURANT
Seafood is fresh and priced fairly considering you are in a hotel. Not outrageous though. Buffet breakfast was filling (salad, breads, egg station, pancakes w/ bacon OR sausages, noodle/ porridge, traditional beef or pork or fish breakfast fare and chilled juices, tea etc. Breakfast is free and a guaranteed belly buster if you ask me. If you want cheaper fare for lunch or dinner, then take their shuttle rides, public tricycles and go to their local restaurants in the city proper (25-30 mins total ride from hotel).

Albeit limited in choices, the best feature in the hotel restaurant isn't really the food but the people. In particular, "Phogz" who was my server who didn't mind re heating food for my kids, delivering it to the room, and bringing portions of the buffet breakfast for the kids (they wake late and prefer eating inside the room). The chef also prepared dessert for us that was not on the menu - wow! The front desk person (gosh I missed her name) on 4/30 even went as far as holding a reservation for us at this popular restaurant in town that had a long waiting list to ensure my rare date night with hubby was going to go as planned. Awesome job!

The team of Carlo, the property GM did a terrific job. This hard -to-please traveller will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Get a room at the lower level facing the beach so kids can play literally outside your door (sliding glass door that is). Room 117 had a hammock (there are not many hammocks outside) almost across our sliding door. Rooms nearer the pool may be too noisy because of foot traffic.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TheRealMarica
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review, it has been a pleasure having you as one of our guest(s), I will definitely share this feedback with the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back here at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa.

Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Staffs are good. Food was so superb we actually had special order, Nice ambiance. Thank you for accomodating us for the late check out even the manager of the hotel drive us back to the airport. Rooms definitely perfect. We enjoyed much our stay. Lookong forward to our visit. :)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marian L

What make us happy the most is satisfied guests. Our aim is to always exceed guests expectations at every opportunity. Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Was with my 2 teen girls and found the hotel clean with friendly and attentive staff.

While the hotel is far from the city center, it has scheduled shuttles and you can plan ahead your day. Since we opted to go to El Nido, the car transfer they recommended was reliable and comfy for the 6 hour land trip.

Breakfast spread adequate and delicious. Overall, good experience.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for your review and we look forward to your next visit.