“Good for a Mid-Budget Hotel, scope to improve”

Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Manila, Philippines
“Good for a Mid-Budget Hotel, scope to improve”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here in July on my birthday weekend trip. I was pleased with the experience given that the options in Puerto Princessa are limited when you want a beach side resort. I went for a standard room which was good enough for a couple. Clean, 2 queen beds, aircon works fine, sheets were clean, bedding was soft & comfortable.
Being a vegetarion my food options are limited especially on a beach location, but the staff was courteous enough to accomodate my request for customized food.
Don't be surprised when you see the beach in the morning coz, it is nowhere close to what I expected from a beach side resort. It seemed more like a backwater arrangement. At nights the water levels are high so it is still better.

Shuttle service to the airport is a plus, but I would prefer someone carrying a placard with my name and not a plain piece of paper with my names written with a lead pencil.

Food: 3 Stars - Buffet breakfast is not one of the best, but ability to respond to customer needs is good
Rooms: 3.5 Stars - Met my needs

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KapsLoves2Travel
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. I am glad that you had a great experience and found the room to be clean and comfortable. Regarding food options, we often customize our menu upon request especially if it is vegetarian cuisine, this is part of our service and we are more than happy to be at your request.

Tides at our beach do usually change there are times it is high in the morning and you could enjoy the beach till the mid-afternoon or the other way around, high tides at mid-afternoon till night. Regarding the airport pick this will be addressed immediately. That is not the standard which we pride ourselves with and I am very sorry that this incident has impacted your perception. Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed August 22, 2013

You have to experience this at least. A night or two will do. Being away from the center of Puerto Princesa will somehow give you the chance to experience the local beach, see some mangroves and be wowed by the high tide the next morning.

The staffs are friendly. The room is clean. The bathroom already show signs of age.

The swimming pool is refreshing. The buffet breakfast is average.

A good place if you are looking for secluded place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaysantos_dot_ph
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent experience with us. We highly value views and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve our goal which is service beyond guests expectations. Thank you for your review and I look forward in welcoming you back.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was cheated by the El Mundo tour company at the airport. I had a hotel booked at El Nido. I arrived at Palawan Airport in the evening and requested transport by the tour operator, who advised that it will take 5 hrs to get there and she was able to give me a better deal.
I was offered a 3 night accommodation 4 star (pictures shown) and 3 tours for 19600 pesos.
I arrived at the hotel checked in and found the room was old and tired. The shower was a trickle of hot water. The next morning I checked out and advised the tour lady that I wanted a refund. She said that I had to take the tour as it was paid for. The tour was a disaster and lunch terrible and bought our own.
Arrived at the hotel at 2.30 pm and waited 2 hrs for the tour lady after advising of the time of arrival at the hotel. She advised that a refund was not possible. I then advised her that i will put the hotel and her company on Trip Advisor. I was then offered another hotel.
We arrived at the Hotel Centro where I was told to pay the hotel as it cost more money, i refused and eventually given a room at 7pm.
The next morning I found out that hotel have a special of 2188 pesos per night until September 2013.
The cost for 3 night accommodation is 6564 pesos, the island tour was 2400 pesos. I payed El Mundo tour company 19600 pesos. That over 10 000 pesos extra.
My main purpose was to go to the underground river, the tour operator changed my plans by suggesting I go on monday, instead on sunday. The monday's trip was cancelled and offered 4200 pesos refund. This was a total rip off. Never trust the tour operator at the airport. Never believe pictures as they are deceiving and taken when the hotel was new. I also believe that the Hotels and El Mundo tour company work together and are very deceitful in the way they conduct their business

Room Tip: Do not pay upfront until you have checked what you are getting.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sirputh
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. Hotels around have usual tie ups with travel agencies and with an agreement that they will provide package tours along with room accommodations with rate parity for certain number of nights. This thing is a normal practice for each hotel and this is not cheating or being deceitful. The rates you were pertaining to are the walk-in rate of the day on a standard room, your availed package consists of tours and a higher room category which is a premium beach front.

My suggestion is that you have spoken with each travel and tours first before availing their offer, you could choose from a variety at the airport to meet your budget or otherwise they can take you to the hotel to see for yourself if those are the actual offers and images shown to you by the travel agency.

Most guests inquire first or they booked through a website to know what the hotels existing offer might be. From that option airport transfers will be offered and you could avoid any problems during your trip. This could also give you a ball park figure on how much is needed to avail one whole package. For the room I wish you had requested for a manager to attend to your concerns so immediate actions could be taken for you to feel comfortable with your accommodation. I understand that your experience did not exceed your expectations and I sincerely hope on your next visit it would be a better one.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in July for 4 nights, we really enjoyed our stay. Very hospitable staff, location was excellent. All our tours were arranged for us by reception and were well executed. Can't recommend this hotel enough..

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Nicholas404
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay and found our location to be excellent. I hope the tour we arranged for you was amusing and left a memory of what the city of Puerto Princesa Palawan is all about. I look forward in having you back soon and thank you for your future recommendations.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel is a distance from the downtown. It took us a bit of extra time to reach the hotel but the time was really prolonged by the terrible road just outside the hotel. Not even a few hundred meters from the front of the property was a pothole filled road. During the rains it was like a small lake. These road gives a poor impression of the otherwise nice looking hotel. The Microtel van driver was apologetic for the road and worked hard not to bounce and jar us too much.

Once inside it very nice and clean hotel. The lobby is bright and open with an excellent front desk staff. A cold bottle of water was provided while we checked in by the very kind staff. I love the fact it is a smaller hotel and only two stories tall. It did not detract from the local scenery. The lobby opens directly in to the beach area. While the beach in not lapping waves type but a shelf-type. The water is only knee deep for a more than a 500 meters at low tide. It is quite beautiful in the morning sunrise.

The rooms are tiled throughout, cable tv and individual air conditioner units per room, Bathroom have non-portable water so you must get drinking water from the free water cooler down the hall. This is not really an issue with the carafe provided in your room. Also, the room requires your key card to keep the room powered. A neat little power saving feature. In all a decent spacious and comfortable room.

Since you are a distance from town the only close restaurant is in the hotel. It is directly off the pool side and is not air conditioned. It was not really hot at all inside during meals. The cool air from the beach was sufficient. The food was very good in the Filipino variety. The Adobo was so good, I would eaten that dish daily. The Breakfast buffet was complementary and well attended. We enjoyed the breakfast each of the three days we stayed.

Overall, I enjoyed this quiet out of the way hotel. The staff was excellent and made our stay very enjoyable. We really appreciate the hotel shuttles and the very helpful staff. Don't let the drive nor the bad road (which I hoped will be fixed soon) stop you from enjoying a stay here.

For, a beach, diving and snorkeling adventure go to Honda Bay for the day long island hopping tours. While the fees schedule looks crazy it is an inexpensive, safe and great time.

Room Tip: Pick second floor beach side for beautiful sunrise at high tide.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank StephenA4
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for your great review I am pleased to know that you enjoyed and experienced our total dedication to guest satisfaction as one of our utmost priority. I apologize for the shortfall that you encountered with the portion of road repairs are on its way to be able to serve our guests better. I do hope your nice impression of our resort will one day bring you back and stay with us again. I thank you and we look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

It was my first time in Palawan and my first time travelling alone. I arranged my trip a week before my scheduled flight and took the internet to find the best place to stay. I found the reviews here for Microtel and thought it's the perfect place for me. Indeed it was! The staff are friendly. The drivers are really nice especially kuya driver who fetch me at the airport and became my impromptu tour guide while on our way to the hotel. The standard room has two double beds, which can accomodate up to 4 or 5 I guess. The lavatory is a bit high for petite people like me, im not sure if that's standard. The food is good and the place is really clean. What I love most about this place is its location. Not too far from the city (plus you get free shuttle service to and from the city proper if ever you want to have lunch/dinner outside) which is perfect for people who wants both serenity without being far from civilization. Definitely going back! :)

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Jaz0530
Thank you for taking time to write a great review as it makes us so proud to read comments like yours, especially as you had chosen to spend your first trip in Palawan with us. I am happy you experienced the serenity of our place and nevertheless enjoyed what Puerto Princesa city has to offer. We hope to welcome you back soon and once again thank you for your review.
Rosarito, Mexico
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Amazing service. We had a terrible experience at a different more expensive resort afterwards and it made me really appreciate how much service is really worth.

Everyone, from the front desk to the custodial greeted us and seemed to be eager to help if needed.

My 2 yr. Old didn't quite enjoy the beach, but the pool made up for it. She also enjoyed the kayak over the shallow waters right outside our room.

It's a little far from town but they do provide a shuttle.

Food is pretty good, got addicted to the adobo sandwhich.

The tours they set up were fun, and since we were a large group, they were a little flexible with time.

They were also helpful in setting up a surprise sky lantern release gathering for us.

All in all, it was a good experience, so much so that we tried to stay at a microtel in manila but it was all booked.

• Stayed July 2013
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are happy we were part of making your special vacation even more perfect!. Thank you for the amazing feedback and I look forward to sharing this at our next staff meeting. We hope to see you again very soon.