“We dont like it! We love it!”

Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Reviewed April 13, 2013

What attracted me to book Microtel was the concept & look of their hotel: simple, no gimmick, classy, clean, comfy, homey, relaxed & their color theme BLUE!

I commend the Microtel staff for the great service from start to end: booking, email response, airport pick up, front desk, room service, tour booking. The hotel has water dispenser at the lobby so we get our supply there even the water baon to our tour. It also has coffee supply, nevermind if its just instant coffee, the thoughtful supply of it still gives that extra 24/7 service to the guests. Another test of the staff efficiency was when I left my digicam case in the tour van. I reported it to the frontdesk & they helped me get it back. Another extended service we received was even granting our request to reheat the food we ordered as a take way at Sheridan Hotel, how cool was that! I also appreciate the greetings from the staff you meet along the corridors, now that's filipino courtesy there, bravo! Peps also helped me print my web airport check in boarding pass, couldnt get better than that! I forgot to log out in the PC I borrowed & Peps even called me to inform me that he logged it out already. Hats off to you Peps! Simple acts but really doing the extra mile.

There is no such thing as perfection and so I do have some not so good comments...take note however that they all turned well because of again THE great hotel personnel. I did the booking by calling directly the palawan head office. Front desk told me to wait for the booking via email. I waited for 2 days so I followed via email, only then did I get an immediate response. I had several email questions & they usually respond the following day. Overall, they replied to all my queries. Another incident was when I was waiting for my turn to be assisted at the front desk because another guest was still being assisted. A group of foreigners suddenly came & I was surprised when this admin asst voluntered assistance while I stand there still unnoticed. Anyway, Peps came to the rescue & helped me right away. I shared with Peps that I felt offended by being ignored. Anyway, I came back to my room & got a call from that admin asst. She explained that she thought I was already being assisted. All's well that ends well. I appreciate the gesture but my ill feeling was instantly removed when Peps came to the 'rescue'.

I would need to comment on the food though. We ordered pork sinigang & the vegetables were not fresh. They dont serve fresh fruit juices or shakes too. Even the fish & chips sauce is canned mayo. Fresh food & drinks are what most people look forward to a vacation, non of the processed, canned products. We also ordered adobo, sadly not so tasty. 1st breakfast was not a good one either. The only food my picky hubby & son could eat in the buffet they served were eggs & corned beef. Breakfast starts 6am, we arrived 630, can you believe they run out of the corned beef already. Apart from the taste & freshness 'challenge', they have to work on the variety of food they serve. 3 straight breakfast, the danggit was always present. Just by the sight of it, Im no longer having danggit for a couple of months or so. But then again, the dining staff are so courteous & attentive. The dining place is facing the pool & the beach, very calming. All boils down to honest, courteous, helpful staff. They all made our stay in Palawan special. Plus the hotel design is really a 2 thumbs up: room, lobby, dining, every nook! To borrow my son's remark when we arrived at the hotel, "I dont like it Mama, I love it!". Kudos Microtel! Aside from Peps, a big shout out to Choi, Favs, Hazel & the rest for their warm service!

Best regards,
Liza Lagman

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank LizaBubu
Rene S, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

I am so glad to hear that our staff was able to provide you and your family with the great service that all our guests deserve. They really go out of their way to look for ways to delight our valued guests. I shall be commending personally Choi, Favs, Hazel and especially Peps, who despite being just new to the team, has been able to immediately imbibe our corporate culture of excellent customer service.
I am grateful also for your honest review of our hotel as this gives us a chance to continuously improve our facilities and services. We shall be discussing your observations with our restaurant concessionaire. Hopefully we get the chance to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

coming in at the airport of purto princessa was a breeze....hot hot day it was! the microtel rep was there and waiting for us! the drive was quick and cool in the aircon van!! the hotel was near the city,yet far from the bustle... cold bottled water was given to us when we checked in..great! the rooms were spacious and could fit 5 with an extra bed thrown in...small fee was charged to us...airconditioned room throughout our stay! the pool was great, one side for small kids and another for adults...the watertemp reminded me of pansol, really it was that warm from the holy week sun!!...My boys loved the loooong beach on low tide, saw sea creatures left and right!
the staff were great and helpful, food was terrific! breakfast requests were accomodated for my picky eater son! the mangrove trees at the beachfront with lights were magical! drove my sister batty trying to capture it on film!! over all excellentstay!!!

Room Tip: beachfront rooms get the morning sun!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sarswela

It really is getting hotter and hotter here in the Philippines! Good thing we have great beaches like in Boracay and here in Puerto Princesa where we can cool down and have lots of fun! And of course, wherever adventure takes you, the same great Microtel awaits you. Thanks for your great review and hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

After an less than fantastic stay at another place in town, was very refreshing to come and stay here.
A bit of a trek down a terrible bumpy / pot holey gravel road, but arrived at a fantastic location right on the beach.
Pleasant room, and the only twin one on our entire trip that had two queen beds (even if they were splittable and had a rather uncomfortable ridge down the middle meaning you really slept in a single anyway)
Beautiful outlook, nice beach, and sea views from the pool. A bit out of town so away from the rat race making it very relaxing.
A few aspect of housekeeping that could have been improved, considering the amount of sand guests track in they do well, however a couple of things like copious amounts of long black hair on the bathroom and room floor (not belonging to us..) and stains on the bed runner let it down. However in general provided the facilities, amenities and service one would expect from a Wyndham property.
Friendly staff, and one has to be impressed by the guys who spend copious amounts of time and effort in the morning and after high tide cleaning up the beach of seaweed etc leaving it in pristine and pretty condition.
Free Wifi and comp breakfast (although very heavy on the local options so might not impress those that will only eat Western style) Overall enjoyed stay and would return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KiwiKat815

It was nice to read your great review and I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again here in Microtel Puerto Princesa and hopefully by your next visit or the latter part of the year, we'd have already asphalted the gravel road, barring any legal impediments.
We pride ourselves for being one of the cleanest and greenest hotels in Puerto Princesa City and the hairs you found on the floor and the stains on the bed runner, while both exceptions rather than the rule, are still unacceptable. Needless to say, the Housekeeping department has been apprised of your observations and remedial steps are already being undertaken.
We've also instructed our restaurant concessionaire to add more western style fare in the menu and in the breakfast buffet. Thank you for taking the time to help us improve our hotel.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed for 3 days and 2 nights and I can say that we really had a great time in their hotel! All the staff are very friendly! I love staying in their lobby because of it's relaxing ambiance. Also, I love their huge, comfy beds and the beachfront view is just amazing!The scent of the room is heavenly too! If I would go back to Puerto Princesa, I'd definitely choose to stay in Microtel again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dyan G
Rene S, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you very much for your warm endorsement of Microtel Puerto Princesa and we're very glad that you and your family had a great time during your stay here. We do look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Far from city but it's ok because they have shuttle bus/van for free. Their food is not so good. Beachfront yes but the beach is not really that spectacular. At night, if it's too windy or "amihan" season, it's a bit scary because the waves are so close to the hotel lol! If you want some alone time far from the city and enjoy the peace and quiet, this hotel is perfect for you. Staffs are also nice and accommodating. Their rooms are very clean. :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is beachfront. :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marie A

Thank you very much for your review. Guests really appreciate the peace and quiet of our beachfront location, as well as the fact that if they need to go to the City for some reason, our scheduled shuttle service can take them to the City for free. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review and we do hope to welcome you again here in Microtel Puerto Princesa.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

for a city hotel, microtel has a nice beach - the mangroves with lights on at night is a fantastic sight. i particularly like the "banga" infront of the rooms, it is a nice and convenient touch. i also like the hammock. the only thing that i didn't really appreciate is the dining ... breakfast spread was limited and if you go close to 10am, there is not a lot of choices left. at that time, they used gas lit lanterns on the table, i don't think this is appropriate as food is on the table. a candle would be better. staff are accommodating and friendly.

Room Tip: ask for the first floor rooms with doors that lead you to the beach area. it comes with water in a p...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank waget

Thank you very much for your review. Coming from a Top Contributor like you, this is high praise indeed. We are pleased that you found our staff friendly and accommodating. We're continuously working with our restaurant concessionaire to improve the breakfast and I'm confident that by your next visit, you would be pleasantly surprised. We hope to welcome you again soon here in Puerto Princesa!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

The staff who met us at the airport was efficient considering that we were more than what their van can carry so he asked for back up. The trip to the hotel was interesting as the staff was already describing the places of interests such as restaurants. He introduced Kinabuch restaurant with its excellent crocodile sisig. A must try!! The front desk people were efficient and checking in was a breeze. Arrangements with hotel for city tour, underground river tours were hassle free. The room was big and the bed was comfortable. The hotel provides free shuttle service to the city center at designated times. The only drawback is that if the shuttle is full for your time slot, you have to wait for the next trip 30 minutes later. Traveling by tricycle to the hotel will be quite a risk because of the dark road leading to the hotel. The shuttle is always the best and safe option. Overall experience - I like it and would highly recommend to others.

Room Tip: A room facing the ocean will be nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JunOfCebuPhl
Rene S, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with Microtel Puerto Princesa. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us as it assists us in our continuing effort to improve our service and property on a daily basis. We are happy to note that overall you had a pleasant experience, and that you found our driver and front desk staff to be efficient and helpful, your room big, and the bed comfortable.

We appreciate the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends to Microtel Puerto Princesa!