“Perfect for families”

Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Montreal, Canada
“Perfect for families”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Originally I wanted to book at another hotel as we were 6 people travelling together (my parents were with us) and one hotel offered a family room that would accommodate up to six people. The travel agent did not recommend the first hotel I chose as she mentioned that it was old and not updated even though the internet photos displayed otherwise. She recommended Microtel so we booked it. Microtel is exactly the type of accommodations my husband and I look for when we travel. We have two kids (ages 5 and 9) and although the hotel is remote and located away from the city center, it was perfect for us. Besides, 3 out of the 4 days we were in Puerto Princesa, we were out on excursions. We lucked out with adjoining rooms on the ground floor so it worked well for us.

The food at the restaurant was good. As in almost every restaurant, there are better dishes than others. The first day we arrived, we ordered lunch and we were a bit disappointed when two out of the 6 dishes we wanted to order were not available as the stock had not arrived. However, the following evening, we ate at the restaurant again and the stock had arrived so we feasted! One only minor constructive criticism I would mention is that the restaurant should invest in a 4 slice toaster for the complimentary breakfast buffet. There was a toaster oven available to heat/toast the bread but it took forever for the bread to toast. It is perfect for the balikbayans and filipinos who only want heated bread but my husband likes his toast "toasted" = browned and I also overheard other foreigners comment that their toast took forever to brown. The coffee was awesome. Perhaps the restaurant manager will share his secret with you on how he makes the coffee. I wish I could remember the name of the young waiter who suggested we dine outside by the pool the second night we were at the hotel. His suggestion was awesome! As we were a party of 6, they prepared a table a bit toward the end of the restaurant so we enjoyed an intimate family supper. The view of the sunset during our meal was amazing. The breeze was perfect - not too strong so our napkins would fly away but strong enough to keep us cool and more importantly, keep the bugs away! We still applied bug spray but did not feel any mosquitoes around us. That same young waiter served us and he was fantastic. Mr. Suarez, if you are reading this, please inform that young man that we really appreciate his suggestion and classy service.

The staff was friendly and when I needed assistance with connecting to their wifi, they did not hesitate to help me out and when they had the same problem as I, they called the hotel manager to come help me. Mr. Suarez was patient and did all he could to help but the problem was not the wifi. It was with the notebook configurations (which is what I had suspected but since I am not computer savvy, I wanted confirmation).

All in all our experience at Microtel was fantastic. My husband and I have travelled all over the world before and after having our children so we have stayed in many hotels/motels/inns ranging from 2 to 5 stars. We do not seek 4 or 5 star hotels but highly rated 3 star accommodations (clean and comfortable) that are reasonably priced. Microtel easily wins top prize for our standards for accommodations including value.

My husband's first comment after walking along the beach with the kids at low tide was "I love that this place is secluded". We visited the city center and spent several hours there and it was enough for us. We originally were going to schedule a supper in town one night using the shuttle service but we arrived from our excursion later than expected so we opted to eat at the hotel restaurant.

I will agree with some reviews done by couples or people looking to party. I see Microtel as more of a family-type place. People looking to go out and have fun at bars, resto-grills, etc. should stay more in the city centre.

My last quick comments:
- The pool was excellent. It was clean and the temperature was perfect - didn't have to take long to get in and we didn't freeze when we got out. We love that there is a big space in the pool for our 5 year old to play in. We appreciate that the entire family got to swim at the same pool altogether instead of splitting up (half at the kiddie pool and the other half in the deeper pool).

- Other than to and from the airport, we only used the shuttle service once and they were efficient and on time. Yes, the times of service are limited but reasonable.

- The in-room massage booked through the hotel is well worth it!

- Book your tours through the hotel! We and other guests we met at the hotel realized that the prices are pretty much standard everywhere. You can book before or after you arrive. Be aware of offers from drivers who said that they will save you money if you do your tours with them. At first it sounds appealing as the first price he gives you is much lower than the hotel price but it usually only covers the van rental for the day. Add up all the other fees and you are not far from the hotel price. For a few more pesos (converted to US/CAN it really is not much), you do not have to worry about hassels. The day we wanted to go to the Underground River, all the permits were given out already so we had to book it for another day. The independent van driver told our friends that he could take us anyways and you really didn't need a permit. Be very careful with the cheap and fast deals!

Thank you Microtel for a great family vacation!

Room Tip: We were at the far end of the hotel away from the pool. We loved our rooms!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Liz_n_co
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Thanks, Ms. Liz, for the wonderful and comprehensive review! I shall forward your comments and suggestions to our restaurant concessionaire -- I'm sure they'll be thrilled to know that you enjoyed your meals -- and recommend that they invest in the 4 slice toaster you mentioned. I'll also make sure to give your regards to the young waiter you mentioned (once I find out who he is).
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with Microtel Puerto Princesa and we're glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I brought my family for a post Christmas holiday and all enjoyed their stay! The personal touch was always appreciated by all. The staff was always very friendly, helpful, wonderful and smiling. I felt secure, safe and at home.

The washrooms need some work but the sunrise and the amazing walkout to the beach glass doors makes up for it!

I laid down on the hammock at night and watched the stars. What a romantic spot!

Perfect place ... Away from the city yet near enough ... You breathe clean fresh air!

Will come back just to rest and chill!

If coming to PPS, I highly suggest staying at Microtel Puerto Princesa. Great value!

Ask for room 101 for pool side room and room 131 for a quiet spot away from all the resort's hustle and bustle!

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay. I've woken up to the same sunrise everyday since I've been here and it still takes my breath away! Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit!
Manila
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed at Microtel Inn Puerto Princesa on Dec.18-21,2011. We were given 3 rooms on the second floor. If you are traveling with seniors, it might be better for you to settle for rooms on the ground floor since Microtel does not have an elevator. The rooms are good for 4 since the beds were 2 queen size beds but we were charged 750/night with breakfast for kids above 12. Hotel service was good.Brewed coffee is not available all the time but the instant coffee is.The hotel is located quite far from the main road so the only way to go out is by their service shuttle(lunch and dinner time only) or you can rent a van which they can provide at 300/hour which was quite reasonable for us since we were 9. Breakfast was acceptable and was available from 6-10am. They made an exception for us on our last day to open at 5:30am since we were supposed to leave for the underground river at 6am. I believe the restaurant is a concessionaire. Wifi is available only in the lobby and does not reach the rooms. The housekeeping was quite excellent. Our rooms were always clean. Off lotion were provided and a warning that you may be bitten by sand mites. Fortunately,we were not bitten.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Thank you for your review! We're glad to know that you weren't bitten by sand mites. I know from first-hand experience that they can be quite irritating, although nothing a little Calmoseptine Ointment (ZInc Oxide+Calamine) can't remedy as it's great at treating the itchiness and swelling.

Sand mites are especially active at sun-up and sundown. Luckily, the strong winds of the Amihan (northeast monsoon) during the months of December to May keeps them away. Still, it is best to be safe by applying some insect repellent whenever you plan to explore the great outdoors. Citronella spray and virgin coconut oil works, too.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We just stayed at Microtel last week and it was wonderful. Friendly staff and good comfortable rooms. Beautiful beaches with clear water and I liked the restaurant. It is clean and I see staff were constantly cleaning the place to make it nice. Good place to stay and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: second floor with balcony facing the ocean
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank minhsing
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We try our best to give our guests a memorable vacation and feedback such as yours validates all our efforts and motivates us further to improve our craft. Thank you very much for your comments and we hope to welcome you again soon here in Microtel Puerto Princesa or in any of our other properties all over the Philippines.
Reviewed December 24, 2011

My family arrived from Sabang thats a 2 hour trip from Puerto Princesa... We just had a 3 night stay ( vacation, sight seeing , relaxation) in the said part of the City.
Our goal was to have a place (Microtel) to stay a night before we head home to Manila, ideally this hotel is perfect... because they offer free transportation to the occupants to the aiport, rested in bed and did nothing that evening. Room was cool enough, clean , drinking water I noticed was available on a water dispenser outside of the room, tv is 32 inch wide lcd, staffs are accomodating as expected, beer prices inside was competitive with salted peanuts. Breakfast for me was ok, the mess hall has a good view of the pool. I cant recommend to swim in their beach though(had to walk for a mile) not that clean also. Put anti mosquito lotion as a caution...
Generally price is worth the stay...

Room Tip: rooms facing the sea is much better...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, January 1, 2012
Thank you for the compliments! They're really very much appreciated. We're glad you and your family enjoyed your trip to Sabang, where the Puerto Princesa Underground River is located. Hopefully on your next visit, you would stay longer and enjoy the rest of what Microtel and Puerto Princesa has to offer -- from whale shark and dolphin watching, to riding Asia's longest Zipline! There's something for everyone here in Puerto Princesa, Palawan!
Taguig City, Philippines
Reviewed December 18, 2011

This place is terrible.

Yes it's close to the airport and on the beach, but it's not even a swimmable beach. The sand has lots of rocks, the water is often at low-tide during the day, so yes you can walk out and see all the grime on the ground. There are a lot of water crabs, so you can see locals going around and picking up whatever seafood that they can.

You might say, if you can't swim at the beach, swim in the pool. The pool was dirty with fallen plant/tree debris. We still swam in it, but only after the one cleaning of the day.

The rooms terribly dirty, no hot water, thin walls so you hear all the crying kids, and the aircon will all of a sudden just breakdown. Free internet in the lobby, but it was so slow that you couldn't do anything (not even check email).

The only real upsides are the free city shuttle and the food. The restaurant food was good, but besides that, there wasn't anything to do. It was tough to really enjoy your food when there are 3-4 dogs and 1-2 cats purring or staring at you while you eat your food. We did share our meal, but it was definitely not what we expected.

You can do better.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CrabisGOOD
Micr0telPalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Thank you for your review. We welcome all genuine guest feedback, whether positive or negative, in our drive to continuously improve our facilities and services to give our guests the best experience possible. To address your concerns point by point:

1) I'm sorry if you do not like to see water crabs and local fishermen at the beach. There are plenty of those hereabouts, as well as sand and rocks, and various other flora and fauna, including but not limited to cats, dogs, fish of all shapes and sizes, egrets, herons, fireflies, bees, manta rays, turtles, monitor lizards, dolphins, whale sharks, etc. I think it comes with the territory.

2) It was rather unfortunate that you were not able to catch the high tide -- these usually occur twice a day, in roughly 9-11 hour intervals;

3) During the months between October and May, the weather in Puerto Princesa is greatly influenced by the Amihan or northeast monsoon, characterized by strong cool winds that typically bring in lots of debris from the sea and shakes off leaves from nearby trees. Still, these are the best months to come to Puerto Princesa if you want to swim in the beach as the tides are usually higher during this time of the year;

4) You can rest assured that we take cleanliness seriously here and that whatever you experienced was more the exception rather than the rule. In fact, we've twice been awarded The Cleanest and Greenest Hotel in Puerto Princesa City (in 2010 and 2011), a City well known for it's Clean and Green initiatives;

5) As a member of the Zero Carbon Resorts Frontier Group, we have taken steps to minimize our carbon footprint. One such initiative is the installation of solar panels which provide our hot water requirements. Sometimes though, weather conditions limit the sun's effectiveness and we are constrained to use electric heaters, especially during times of high occupancy;

6) Because of our location by the beach, expensive Satellite Internet Access is so far our only option if we want to provide our guests with free wi-fi access. Sadly, this is also subject to prevailing weather conditions, not only locally, but also in Korea from where our Satellite connection originates. We're currently looking at other alternatives such as microwave transmission, wireless broadband, and wi-max, and things are looking good that we would have improved Internet signals by the start of the new year.

7) When visiting Puerto Princesa, one can expect to experience daily hour-long black-outs. To address this concern, we have a 350kVa generator on stand-by to provide adequate electricity to power all our equipment and the appliances in all guest rooms. Your experience with the aircon suddenly breaking down is probably just a power interruption caused by the black-out. It only takes a minute to have the generator up and running.

Again, thank you very much and we appreciate your taking the time out to post a review. We are also glad that you liked our free scheduled shuttle service to the City as well as the food in the restaurant. We hope to welcome you again soon here in Microtel Puerto Princesa!
Toronto
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I have to stay by far staff from this hotel are simply the best!!!
Ive been to many resorts around the world but Microtel staff goes above and beyond their duty!
Thank you formaking our stay in Palawan a memorable one!
I love how you supply your guests with off lotion!!!
Ill never forget you guys!!!

• Stayed November 2011
microtelpalawan, Manager at Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Thank you for your great review! We're glad you were able to experience firsthand the genuine warmth and friendliness of the Filipino people. Favs and Rio have been with Microtel Puerto Princesa from the very beginning and we're very proud of them. I'll make sure that they (and the trainee) get recognized for their good work!

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon here in Microtel Puerto Princesa!