Originally I wanted to book at another hotel as we were 6 people travelling together (my parents were with us) and one hotel offered a family room that would accommodate up to six people. The travel agent did not recommend the first hotel I chose as she mentioned that it was old and not updated even though the internet photos displayed otherwise. She recommended Microtel so we booked it. Microtel is exactly the type of accommodations my husband and I look for when we travel. We have two kids (ages 5 and 9) and although the hotel is remote and located away from the city center, it was perfect for us. Besides, 3 out of the 4 days we were in Puerto Princesa, we were out on excursions. We lucked out with adjoining rooms on the ground floor so it worked well for us.
The food at the restaurant was good. As in almost every restaurant, there are better dishes than others. The first day we arrived, we ordered lunch and we were a bit disappointed when two out of the 6 dishes we wanted to order were not available as the stock had not arrived. However, the following evening, we ate at the restaurant again and the stock had arrived so we feasted! One only minor constructive criticism I would mention is that the restaurant should invest in a 4 slice toaster for the complimentary breakfast buffet. There was a toaster oven available to heat/toast the bread but it took forever for the bread to toast. It is perfect for the balikbayans and filipinos who only want heated bread but my husband likes his toast "toasted" = browned and I also overheard other foreigners comment that their toast took forever to brown. The coffee was awesome. Perhaps the restaurant manager will share his secret with you on how he makes the coffee. I wish I could remember the name of the young waiter who suggested we dine outside by the pool the second night we were at the hotel. His suggestion was awesome! As we were a party of 6, they prepared a table a bit toward the end of the restaurant so we enjoyed an intimate family supper. The view of the sunset during our meal was amazing. The breeze was perfect - not too strong so our napkins would fly away but strong enough to keep us cool and more importantly, keep the bugs away! We still applied bug spray but did not feel any mosquitoes around us. That same young waiter served us and he was fantastic. Mr. Suarez, if you are reading this, please inform that young man that we really appreciate his suggestion and classy service.
The staff was friendly and when I needed assistance with connecting to their wifi, they did not hesitate to help me out and when they had the same problem as I, they called the hotel manager to come help me. Mr. Suarez was patient and did all he could to help but the problem was not the wifi. It was with the notebook configurations (which is what I had suspected but since I am not computer savvy, I wanted confirmation).
All in all our experience at Microtel was fantastic. My husband and I have travelled all over the world before and after having our children so we have stayed in many hotels/motels/inns ranging from 2 to 5 stars. We do not seek 4 or 5 star hotels but highly rated 3 star accommodations (clean and comfortable) that are reasonably priced. Microtel easily wins top prize for our standards for accommodations including value.
My husband's first comment after walking along the beach with the kids at low tide was "I love that this place is secluded". We visited the city center and spent several hours there and it was enough for us. We originally were going to schedule a supper in town one night using the shuttle service but we arrived from our excursion later than expected so we opted to eat at the hotel restaurant.
I will agree with some reviews done by couples or people looking to party. I see Microtel as more of a family-type place. People looking to go out and have fun at bars, resto-grills, etc. should stay more in the city centre.
My last quick comments:
- The pool was excellent. It was clean and the temperature was perfect - didn't have to take long to get in and we didn't freeze when we got out. We love that there is a big space in the pool for our 5 year old to play in. We appreciate that the entire family got to swim at the same pool altogether instead of splitting up (half at the kiddie pool and the other half in the deeper pool).
- Other than to and from the airport, we only used the shuttle service once and they were efficient and on time. Yes, the times of service are limited but reasonable.
- The in-room massage booked through the hotel is well worth it!
- Book your tours through the hotel! We and other guests we met at the hotel realized that the prices are pretty much standard everywhere. You can book before or after you arrive. Be aware of offers from drivers who said that they will save you money if you do your tours with them. At first it sounds appealing as the first price he gives you is much lower than the hotel price but it usually only covers the van rental for the day. Add up all the other fees and you are not far from the hotel price. For a few more pesos (converted to US/CAN it really is not much), you do not have to worry about hassels. The day we wanted to go to the Underground River, all the permits were given out already so we had to book it for another day. The independent van driver told our friends that he could take us anyways and you really didn't need a permit. Be very careful with the cheap and fast deals!
Thank you Microtel for a great family vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Have a taste of tropical bliss at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham - Puerto Princesa, the only international beachfront resort hotel in Puerto Princesa City. Nestled on the white sands of Emerald Beach just 25 minutes away from the city's bustling center, this hotel in Puerto Princesa, Palawan offers you an experience that is both comfortable and affordable. With tastefully designed rooms that have all the necessary amenities to make your stay enjoyable, you'll find it easy to feel right at home. Microtel Puerto Princesa stays true to the Microtel chain's international standards of quality, offering excellent service that is reasonably priced. Combined with remarkable Filipino hospitality, Microtel Puerto Princesa is truly your hotel of choice when in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Microtel Inn & Suites Puerto Princesa Hotel Puerto Princesa
- Microtel Inn And Suites Puerto Princesa
- Microtel By Wyndham Puerto Princesa Palawan Island