“Mosquitos galore, terrible management, disappointing rooms”
Review of One Rover's Place

One Rover's Place
Ranked #153 of 187 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Mosquitos galore, terrible management, disappointing rooms”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My girlfriend and I backpacked through the Philippines for a month. Towards the end of our trip we were joined by her parents. All four of us stayed in One Rovers Place for a night, before flying out of Puerto Princessa.

Being with the parents we went for a cheap room but booked them for a "deluxe". When we arrived we were all taken through the hotel and out the back, into a separate building. Their deluxe was damp, dark, peeling paintwork, tiny bathroom, nothing to recommend it at all. Our standard room was the same but smaller.

My girlfriend went back and asked the staff if they could change the room as it was not suitable. They said the whole hotel was full. When she pressed they found one free room, a suite. She asked if they could be transferred, they said yes but you have to pay the difference. She said that's not fair and asked to see the management. The girls behind the desk were actually terrified at this point and said that if the manager was brought down, one of them would be fired. That really speaks of terrible management - don't take problems out on your staff!

In the end we paid and upgraded the parents to the suite, which was immeasurably better decorated and lighter. The door was askew on its hinges and would only open half way, and the toilet cistern leaked all over the bathroom floor at one point, but it was still a great improvement.

My girlfriend and I stayed in the standard room, in the evening we were visited by a plague of mosquitos, unusually so even for the Philippines. Our bathroom floor was covered with them (small bathroom, big mosquitos!). We were prepared with mosquito coils and bug spray, so won the war, but it wasn't a pleasant experience all round.

Do yourself a favour and find a nicer, or cheaper place to stay - One Rover's Place is neither cheap for the Philippines, nor nice enough to make up for it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank gkee42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed April 21, 2011

SERVICE: I love this place! The experience was great. I love the pandan drink they served, very refreshing. There was a van service which picked us up from the airport to the inn and from the inn to the airport. The personnel are really nice and warm.

ROOMS: Our room is located at the main building, 2nd floor. The room we got is very simple, not lavish but very clean. I love their restrooms as well. Airconditioning is great. They have cable TV, too.

RESTAURANT PROXIMITY: The location of the inn was really wonderful! You just have to cross the street and you'll find Kinabuch Restaurant and Grill - which serves various vegetable and meat viands, local specialties like crocodile meat and of course, alcoholic beverages!. Then 20 steps away from the inn is Kalui's which would be one of the best restaurants that you should not miss visiting when you go to Palawan.

LOCATION: 5 minute walk and you'll reach places where in there are several ATMs for withdrawal. Beside the inn, is a mini grocery store (like a local 7 Eleven) where I bought most of the things I forgot to bring. Surprisingly, a lot of items I bought were available there.

OTHERS: They even recommended a lot of great packages and people we could go to for discounts.

DISLIKE: I only hate the fact that they made us wait for an hour before we could enter in our room because of a miscommunication. Good thing is that the lounging area was very comfy, I didn't notice that it has been an hour of waiting.

OVERALL: If I go back to Palawan, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank lahinieba
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I went to Puerto Princesa City, Palawan for a conference for a couple of days. This hotel has the perfect location in the city. Everything was a walking distance. Convenient and Homey! And its a backpacker's haven.

There was a pick up service from the airport to the hotel itself and even dropped me off on my departure back to Manila. I chose to stay on their standard room. It has the basic necessities which a solo travel/backpacker needs - bed, cabinet, t.v. with cable and an a.c. It's clean, simple, quiet and homey. They also have this small and cozy living room outside my room which I love. One thing I also love about this place was their tight security. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, their staff was very accommodating!

This hotel is worth your money!What else can you ask for. Everything a backpacker or solo traveler needs is here!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank InaLaya
Philippines
Reviewed May 3, 2010

My friends (3pax) and I went to Puerto Princessa for our holidays. The travel agent who booked us at One Rover's Place assured us that we will have a good time. Upon check-in the reception area smells like a pet shop, the receptionist was not accommodating, they gave us pandan juice as a welcome drink which didn't taste like pandan juice at all; more like water with coloring.

When we stepped in our room there were only two beds set, they know that we will be arriving and didn't set up three beds. We still have to call their housekeeping for them to set it up. The bathroom was so small and when we opened the faucet the water was color brown we have to open it for quite some time to remove the color; its even worse because when we washed our hands the smells like rust!

The place badly needs a renovation and staff service orientation!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Taz_Travel101

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Princesa hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Princesa
Islands Stay Hotels - Puerto Princesa
Islands Stay Hotels - Puerto Pri...
#154 of 352 in Palawan Island
#84 of 187 in Puerto Princesa
Balai Felicisima Bed & Breakfast
Balai Felicisima Bed & Breakfast
#25 of 84 in Puerto Princesa

Been to One Rover's Place? Share your experiences!