My girlfriend and I backpacked through the Philippines for a month. Towards the end of our trip we were joined by her parents. All four of us stayed in One Rovers Place for a night, before flying out of Puerto Princessa.
Being with the parents we went for a cheap room but booked them for a "deluxe". When we arrived we were all taken through the hotel and out the back, into a separate building. Their deluxe was damp, dark, peeling paintwork, tiny bathroom, nothing to recommend it at all. Our standard room was the same but smaller.
My girlfriend went back and asked the staff if they could change the room as it was not suitable. They said the whole hotel was full. When she pressed they found one free room, a suite. She asked if they could be transferred, they said yes but you have to pay the difference. She said that's not fair and asked to see the management. The girls behind the desk were actually terrified at this point and said that if the manager was brought down, one of them would be fired. That really speaks of terrible management - don't take problems out on your staff!
In the end we paid and upgraded the parents to the suite, which was immeasurably better decorated and lighter. The door was askew on its hinges and would only open half way, and the toilet cistern leaked all over the bathroom floor at one point, but it was still a great improvement.
My girlfriend and I stayed in the standard room, in the evening we were visited by a plague of mosquitos, unusually so even for the Philippines. Our bathroom floor was covered with them (small bathroom, big mosquitos!). We were prepared with mosquito coils and bug spray, so won the war, but it wasn't a pleasant experience all round.
Do yourself a favour and find a nicer, or cheaper place to stay - One Rover's Place is neither cheap for the Philippines, nor nice enough to make up for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One Rover's Place is just 5 minutes from the airport. While staying here, you might want to visit some of these nearby places: Honda Bay, Dos Palmas, and Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park. They have 18 air-conditioned rooms, each with cable TV, hair dryer, Internet connectivity, and a private toilet and bath. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Travel Book Philippines, Inc. so you can book your One Rover's Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1 Rover`s Place
- One Rover`s Place Hotel Puerto Princesa
- One Rover's Place Palawan Island/Puerto Princesa