“nice place”
Review of Marina De Bay

Marina De Bay
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We like this hotel had decent rooms, the beds were not that geat though I liked the balcony on the ocean It was a little ways out of town though so it was private wich we liked. The food was good and the service was very good..We booked our tours right from the hotel wich was nice and they were great tours as well.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 5, 2010

This seaside hotel is located a 25 minute drive from Puerto Princesa. The suites are not suites, simply regular square motel rooms with brick walls and rattan ceilings; the latter making soundproofing an issue – conversations from adjacent rooms are clearly audible. Rooms have a musty smell. The Junior “suite” comes with a queen and single bed, and a 12” snowy TV, and no fridge.

The executive “suite” comes with a 21” TV with only one TV channel – they might want to consider investing in cable or satellite. There is no hot water in the sink and the water in the shower is luke-warm at best and the water pressure is terrible. Because of the design of the tub, when showering, the water pours onto the floor. The environmentally conscious will appreciate that the sudsy water from the shower drains directly outside into the mangrove swamp. You will be impressed with the bathroom amenities. Each “suite” comes complete with a small soap, 2 towels, and toilet paper – WOW, such luxury, they have spared no expense!!!!
The mini-fridge keeps items cool but not cold. The plastic mattress on the bed is covered with a piece of foam that makes the bed extremely hot, especially when the power goes out and the A/C stops working. They do NOT have a back-up generator – a must in a country when black- and brown- outs are frequent.
The hotel web site advertises, coffee & tea making facilities, which at this hotel consists of 2 coffee cups with no coffee or tea packets and no kettle.
There is a small table, but no chairs. I was told that wifi typically works in the room except when there is a strong wind – not true. Wifi only works in the dining room.
The hotel offers free pick-up and drop off from the airport and van terminal. The van is also available for transport to town in the mornings and evenings, however, don’t rely on their pick-up. I waited one hour for a pre-arranged pickup which was a no show.
There is no pool and swimming is not possible at this seaside hotel.
Brewed coffee is available but is just ordinary. Breakfast is not included. It takes 30+ minutes to receive a scrambled egg and toast; actually they do not know how to make scrambled eggs, instead you receive a plain omelette. As is typical elsewhere is the Philippines they do not know how to make toast either, instead you get warm white bread. And you must request knife, fork, spoon, napkins, salt & pepper, etc, otherwise you receive a plate of food with no utensils. The food is below average but is reasonably priced. As of April 4, 2010 there are only Filipino food options for breakfast. Also, prices have risen and they have added 22% in charges (12% VAT and 10% service).

On the first night I requested a couple of glasses for the room, which they obliged. However, the next day housekeeping removed the glasses, rather than cleaning them. So the next day, after having secured new glasses, I hid them in a drawer with my underwear. Well guess what was missing from my underwear drawer the next day when I returned from a tour – the glasses. So if you want housekeeping staff going through the drawers with your clothes, then this is the hotel for you.
The hotel advertises beautiful sea views from the “suites”; again, not true. The view of the sea is obstructed by the mangroves, though there is a view of the bay from the restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank driftdiver1
Reviewed November 23, 2010

The service was really amazing. Everyone is really friendly. The food was perfect to the last bit. I am really happy I stayed here. We had the half hour foot massage. Then a 2 hour massage in our rooms. I would definitely come back. xo, Chunky Ting

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank tingy011
Reviewed July 19, 2010

wonderful service and perfect spa/resort. My only complain was the airconditioning and the water supply. They fixed it after several requests. Other than that, loved the food and service was excellent. Will recommend this to all my friends.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank bam086
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I visited Puerto Princesa with my family, 2 adults and 2 kids. It was all our 1st time to go for an out-of-town trip by plane. So the expectation was quite high, though I was personally prepared for the possibilities, thanks to Tripadvisor.

When we arrived at the airport we were greeted by a staff of Marina and were endorsed to a driver who brought us to our accommodation. Along the way he gave us briefing about the place and the city's policies. We then took the opportunity to ask questions which greatly guided us on the: who, what, when, where, why and hows.

At Marina we were warmly welcomed by the staff and by the environment that was so peaceful and cozy, literally showing the breath-taking view of the bay and mountain ranges. We then were escorted to our room after we have settled our balance and clarified some points regarding our stay and tour.

The whole place and the executive suite we occupied were very nice and always clean, you can check their website for details. However, I find the air-cooling process in the villa quite slow, room not well lit, pressure in the shower was not strong and WIFI access was very poor. But nothing beats when you are serviced by staffs that are very nice, courteous and accommodating, not too mention that my kids are very importunate. Suggestion though, staff needs to be more assertive and informative especially in what other things Puerto Princesa can offer other than those that can be found in the tour package.

The Underground River and Honda Bay Tours are a must-see places, just prepare yourself with all anti-dizzy and anti-emetic staff like sweet/sour finger-foods, White Flower or Bonamine pills and motion sickness bag, for the lengthy, curvy, bumpy and shaky trips. The inclusive meals were perfectly fine for the needed energy sometimes even more. For the City Tour, well you can go away without it, I barely enjoyed it. I thought that our tour then, to think that it was ONLY the 4 of us, was so unorganized. As much as I introduced myself and each of my family members, our tour guide did not bother; she did not even give briefing prior to the tour. We neither hardly had information about the place we have passed-by nor visited. I also thought that the time allotted to it was not enough. And for the rest of the trip please do check Google for the things-to-do and things-to-bring, it will help you as it helped me a lot.

Our four-night dinners are at our own cost, but these were our opportunity to dine at the must-visit restaurants of Puerto Princesa like Ka Lui and Kinabuch. Unfortunately, due to distance and exhaustion we most of the time end up eating at the in-house dining area and missed the tamilok. Sad to say that the value and quality of food and the satisfaction you get from the nightly dinner in the city restaurants are far more at par than that of Marina’s.

In my opinion, if you have motion sickness and budget conscious like I do better stay within the city proper cause everything is within your reach. Nevertheless, if you care less and would like to enjoy the beauty and serenity of nature go Marina.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank crpatenio2
Reviewed May 22, 2010

The location is far from the city around 30 minutes. Food is not that great. The room is spacious and clean.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We have 2 kids in their tweens. We chose this resort because of the reviews in this site. I was not disappointed. Place is about 20-30 mins from downtown and is one of few resorts in Puerto Princesa situated by a bay - which made it the perfect place to relax in. Service was excellent - from the driver, Merlyn (our city tour guide), Vivian / Joan (front desk), Brian, Cecile, etc (service crew) - all of our requests were accommodated (van service to restos, church on Sunday, meals at the Thouse, printing of intl boarding pass, etc.). Wifi connection is reliable. Place is clean and cozy. We had a massage and foot spa - absolutely relaxing. Food was great too (mostly Filipino food). Room is spacious and bed is comfy. Water closet can be bigger but not an issue. My husband and son will probably go back especially since there's a nearby motocross track :-)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family