“just OK”
Review of Duchess Pension

Duchess Pension
Ranked #94 of 195 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2013

If your looking for a budget place to stay at, with clean rooms and near the city proper, you can stay at this place. Rooms are affordable, but everything needs to be paid of, like used of wifi including hot water which you need for a coffee. We check in at night, but no one ever assisted us with our bags because the front desk man said, he is alone and so he just watched us brought our bags upstairs.

If you know other place to stay with more accommodating stay, better stay there.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Minet512
There are newer reviews for Duchess Pension

Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Duchess Pension was first referred to me by my Dad when he went to Puerto Princesa alone. Upon my arrival this January, I found out for myself why my dad was so ecstatic about this place. The service was first-rate, and the rooms were excellent. We had a little issue during the storm (when a small section of the floor became flooded due to the water coming in), but was immediately remedied after we called the attention of the staff. The people were very respectful and kind, even offering help for a lot of things. But what makes this place so amazing is the value that you will get for all that service. If you are travelling alone or with a partner and want to feel the natural breeze of Puerto Princesa, you best take the 250 php or 350 php rooms. For those who want to have air-conditioning, a price of 850 php at least can be paid for a doubles room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert Joshua B
Reviewed October 27, 2012

good pts on:

1. our friend's child is free
2. i think the cheapest stay in Coron
3. personnels gave us privacy bec they dont care a lot (as if we arrived wet with sand fr island hopping or too late at nyt)
4. a 20 min walk fr the food chains/market
5. no deposit, no hidden charges

however:

1. seems personnels dont want to help guests. I asked if they have hot water available for my morning coffee.The men on the phone (fr Duchess Pension) said, twice, they have none. But I found out they have it in their pantry. I just wished they should have said 'just pay for it, it's not free' instead of me going out the place imagine just for a mug of hot water.

2. clean, aside from a clogged drain in our shower room

3. some noise at night coming from a videoke nearby store.

4. no welcome drinks/rain caller gift (fr a website info, they have these.but none)

5. curtains are undersized, sunlight made the aircon room hot.

over-all:
anyway if u just looking where to sleep in Puerto Princesa but most of your time will be spent outdoor, then avail Duchess Pension...

Room Tip: other here says choose room at the back away fr the street
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This place has simple amenities for solo and group travelers: Simple double deck or queen sized beds, clean sheets and good ventilation. I tried the fan room. I remember I paid P800 for 4D3N there with three more friends. You can verify if this is still true via their website.

Good wi-fi connection. I need this when traveling. They also have friendly staff who attend to your needs. We ate our breakfasts here - though not all for free - and they pretty much accommodating on any requests we made.

They offer tours, but we didn't avail them. It's a good location too because from here we were able to visit different nearby villages. I can go back here anytime I go PP again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

They keep improving the place. Always painting and now new Wi-Fi router for an even faster internet. they constantly up grade the place. Saw a rather unfair review...Guests experiencing issues, can simply inform the staff who will fix them immediately, unless it's the middle of the night...but they will try, anyhow. Pics of the Duchess give the reader an accurate of the facilities. Most guests like me highly recommend this cozy Puerto hotel, that has a great location!

Room Tip: Discuss with the front desk what you are looking for in a room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AdventureTraveler_11
Reviewed July 23, 2012

if you're looking for a place that you just need to sleep in when you're done touring for the day, then this place is pocket friendly. why? 250 for a single room, 350 for a double with common toilet and bath, walkng distance to city center. if you need your private en-suite bathroom and A/C then you pay more, just check their website for rates. they also arrange tours, serve affordable breakfast and trikes pass by outside anytime of the day. place is located in a residential area so expect some unnecessary noises at night and rooms are very basic so dont expect a lot. can book without paying, i just called to reserve a room. nice garden view too!

Room Tip: get a room at the back, less noisy
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank akj1178
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Double room P350. Helpful, friendly, wonderful service, wld highly recommend!
If u stay here go eat at Blue Ginger, amazing! x

• Stayed: February 2012