“Simple, quiet and conveniently located”

Hibiscus Garden Inn
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Malabon, Philippines
“Simple, quiet and conveniently located”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Its a beautiful simple and quiet place where you can relax to the sound of your natural surroundings: the garden and many birds chirpping when the break of dawn comes out. We stayed in the King size room with big size bathroom which was clean and private garden with hammock. It was conveniently located to popular restaurants, pasalubong shopping, and main cathedral. Every tricycle ride out starting from Hibiscus is approximately P10/pax. The staff were friendly, concern and accommodating to our request. Not only that there resto has the best tasting wood baked pizza in Puerto Princesa. (esp. Four Seasons pizza) I highly recommend this place for the individual traveller, honeymooners and family traveller) :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tesalvador0315

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
adelaide
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A great deal of effort has been put into creating the feel of a sophisticated tropical island resort when the hotel is actually located in an urban area closer to the airport than the main part of town. A trike ride from the airport cost the two of us with luggage, 50pesos but should be considerably less….
Our room was comfortable and spacious and opened directly on to the beautiful gardens. We enjoyed relaxing on the veranda.
The staff were extremely obliging ensuring a pleasant stay for only two nights, including booking an underground river tour and onward transport to El Nido. Extra-ordinarily, when the underground river tour van did not arrive, apparently due to some overbooking they arranged a driver to take us to Sabang and back. We caught up with the others by chance at Elephant Rock but were alone again after the boat tour, allowing us to visit the extraordinary Ugong Rock – essentially a private tour for no extra charge! Wow, this was service!
I should also mention the best coffee we had in the Philippines, along with great breakfast choices, albeit for additional charges. There was excellent Wi-Fi in the grounds, but not so good in our rooms.
Overall, we really enjoyed the relaxing ambience of the Hibiscus Hotel and would readily stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Malolos City
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I chose this inn based on the reviews I read and I agree with all the positive things written here in TripAdvisor.

The rooms are really spacious and clean. The bed linen and towels are clean. Even the cheapest room has two beds (one queen and one single), a mini ref, and its own hammock and chairs outside the room. The aircon and hot shower work well. There is a bidet and the toilet and bath was really big and clean. I find it very sensitive of those who designed the rooms to even consider setting up a native rack outside the room for hanging wet clothes - perfect for those who come from island hopping. At Php 1,800. for a classic (standard) room, this inn really scores high in terms of value for money.

The biggest come-on of Hibiscus Garden Inn to tired people who just want to laze around and be with nature are its garden and hammock just outside the room. Reading a book or simply allowing one's mind to rest and engage in reflective or even idle thinking is a great way to spend a day or two by their hammock. The hammock is also a perfect place to go online as this is a wifi zone.

Room lighting is a bit dim but that was perfect for me as I came to the inn for some down time. It really helped to slow me down.

Food was good. The pasta was good - al dente and the arabiata sauce was really nice. The pizza crust was thin and tasted really good. My Filipino breakfast was good, and the great thing about their Php 150 breakfast is they serve freshly pressed, instead of 3-in-1, coffee as has been the practice in most hotels. For those who opt for a private meal -nice for honeymooners or those just wanting to have alone time - there's a native hut in the garden and the staff are happy to serve one's food there.

The staff are generally warm, respectful, and accommodating. As agreed, their driver Dong was in the airport when I arrived. I arrived on Christmas night and was even surprised with a gift (a box of sweets). Knowing that I was taking a morning flight, the staff even went out of her way to go to my room and ask whether I would be taking breakfast (this is not included in the package), what I was having for breakfast and at what time. I agree that not all staff are as warm but I didn't have an experience that would count for inefficiency or rudeness.

For growth edges: (1) I don't go for strong fabric conditioners (I should have considered requesting for one so I can't say if there's an option for non-conditioned bed linens); (2) While both toilet and bath were big I'd appreciate having at least shower curtains to keep the toilet area really dry. (The bath area is sufficiently lower than the toilet so the toilet floor doesn't really get flooded but it would be much better if there is either glass divider or at least a shower curtain to keep the toilet area squeaky clean at all times); (3) payment for reservation is through bank deposit (inconvenient!). While they accept credit card payment, there is additional charge which was why I opted to make a reservation through Agoda.

There are also good places to eat within walking distance. Fans of Cebu's Hukad sa Golden Cowrie will be delighted to know that it now has a branch in Puerto Princesa and it is just a couple of minutes walk from Hibiscus.

All in all, I had a great experience and I look forward to coming back in March this time with my son.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, UK
Reviewed January 1, 2014

As it was the rainy season in this part of the Philippines, we stayed in Puerto Princesa for just 3 nights so we could visit Honda bay and the underground river befor heading on to drier parts. The Hibiscus was an ideal choice for such a short stay.

Before we had even arrived they arranged our trips by email (with replies almost instantly) after we were let down by another tour agent. The tours were very good and reasonably priced.

On arrival we were a little surprised at how basic the rooms were (compared to the slightly more expensive hotel we had stayed at in Manila) but they were clean and decent sized. We arrived in the evening so ate straight away - the pizza was very good but the pasta so-so. The hotel advertises an excellent restaurant nearby (La Terrace) - I highly recommend it, but note it is closed Monday (Hibiscus reception did not know that so we had a wasted walk).

The downsides of this hotel were the wifi (only working at reception during our stay - all other networks were down) and not having a pool or being closer to the beach I'm not sure we would have enjoyed a longer stay as much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Hibiscus exceeded all our expectations and made a huge contribution to enjoying our holiday on Palawan. The staff were great and well trained and gave consistently good service. They took account of holiday makers needs so if you left early you could order your breakfast the night before. The rooms are huge with minimal furniture leaving you plenty of space, complimented by a huge bathroom with a good hot shower. The rooms were in a quadrangle configuration with chairs and/or hammocks outside which allowed interaction between guests and somewhere to chill out.
The food served in the restaurant was limited but was really good quality, The wood fire oven baked Pizzas were memorable.
What more can you expect from a holiday hotel ?
Absolutely Rocking Superb

Room Tip: You don't need special tips here all rooms will satisfy you.