“Homely and cozy.”

Ranked #1 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Kuching, Malaysia
“Homely and cozy.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

It's a family-based hotel with only a row of rooms on a single floor. The ambience is cozy and lovely. Rooms are big and clean, albeit a bit old. We had a nice little back garden with our own hammock. The water pressure for the hot shower is pretty low, but the cold shower is good. Water boiler is not provided but you can request for hot water in a thermos. The room's clean and the sheets smell nice!
The staff are great and full of smiles! Always willing to help, and ever so courteous. Even the owners are super friendly and gorgeously pretty! :D (Don't tell your sis, Joy!)
The hotel is very efficient in handling our tours and we are so very happy with the services provided here.
The only setback is the location. It is about 10 mins away from the town by tricycle and there's nothing much we can do within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank angie j

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sandvika, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We had a great stay at Hibiscus Garden. The staff, the owners family, was very friendly the three days we stayed there. It was rainy season there at our stay and the hotel provided umbrellas to go from the bungalows to the reception and restaurant. The food in the restaurant was good, the breakfast was included. There was free wifi but the signal was not strong enough to be used inside the rooms. Instead most of our evenings were spent in the hammocks, one outside each room. The best restaurant, Ka Lou is only a 5 minutes tricycle ride away... :-)

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Milk-Sheikh
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Arriving from the airport without a booking, I was happy to learn they had a room available (only one room available, despite the low season, so remember to make a booking), next day its fully booked so will have to find alternative place even I would have liked to extend.

The place is lovely with its relaxed feeling, the staff is at a 5* level, the food worthy of a nice restaurant with one of the best pizzas I have ever had, location is truly ideal for arriving and leaving from the airport... with no airport related noise whatsoever...

Would recommend it highly to all and will definitely come back...

PS. everything else that has been written here is absolutely true, even the comment about the peculiar shower arrangement, however its such a small dent in the package that its not worthy of a being reflected in a lower rating than top !

Room Tip: Standard rooms has a queen size and a single bed, 3 pax maximum, 300 PHP for each person above that...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DonPedros
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was our first stay in our island hopping adventure extravaganza of the Philippines. Booked a 3 night stay because of the many positive reviews on Trip Advisor and because it was the #1 voted best hotel in Palawan. We were 100% satisfied with our choice. Super friendly and attentive staff, gorgeous garden grounds full of an array of flora, and delicious cuisine. If your staying in Puerto Princesa than this IS the place to stay!!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank sborrero77
Makati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I had just arrived from Puerto Princesa this morning, August 31, and I cannot resist going to the computer and write about this wonderful place.

My pleasant experience began with the airport pick up. A few seconds after stepping out of the arrival area, I was very happy to see my name in a whiteboard. The driver was so nice.

When I arrived to the place, I was amazed with the well-tended garden. I heard tweeting of birds and I saw several birds flying just above the roof. I was given Room No. 2 which is spacious. I love the design and the simplicity of it.

There is a hammock for each room which I like very much. Every morning, after breakfast, I lay in the hammock, closed my eyes and absorbed the surroundings for several minutes.

The staff was very efficient and courteous. Service was impeccable. They even managed to do the laundry in a rush basis. Also, the City, Underground River and Honda Bay tours were excellent. In my opinion, there should be a tour including Iwahig and the waterfalls in Puerto Princesa. That would be an awesome experience.

Food was delicious. I like the breakfast meals, garlic squid, the brewed coffee and mango-banana shake. Their Hawaiian pizza is a must-try.

The only downside is that a school is beside it. Every afternoon, a teacher or instructor was checking attendance and giving instructions using a microphone which was irritating to me as I was unable to take a nap in the hammock.

A minor issue would be the ceiling fan. When it rotates, there is a cracking sound. During my first night, I had difficulty sleeping; so every night, I turned it off before I go to sleep.

I will definitely go back next year (with my girlfriend hopefully).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Franztraveler
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

From the bookings via email (thanks, Joy) to the airport transfers and the room and environment, everything was just great. The staff were efficient and very helpful. I asked a zillion questions before I booked and all my queries were responded to promptly and with consideration. You can't beat the location - two minutes from the airport, many eating places within walking distance, a 20 peso tricycle ride from the center of town. The garden with its quirky wooden furniture, the veranda with comfortable chairs and hammocks, and the lovely restaurant all add up to a relaxing environment. The room was spacious and clean, with crisp linen and fluffy towels, plus toiletries (and there was a convenience store just beside the gate which was convenient). Our Queen Room (a double bed and a single) had its own private garden with chairs and hammock. King Rooms (two double beds) also come with private gardens. The pizza at the restaurant was one of the best We've ever had anywhere. Our tours were also great. Prompt pickup, friendly guides with great sense of humor (especially Kim), good transportation and great food. We were also allowed a late check-out, giving us the opportunity to shower and change after the Hunda Bay tour.

Two downsides - first: the bathroom shower system is weird. The fixed showerhead gave out cold water and the hand-shower gave hot. This made showering difficult. Second: the fruit served with breakfast was a small banana. Considering how inexpensive fruit was on the island, surely this could have been better.

But altogether, we had a lovely relaxing time at Hibiscus. I booked two friends into this place within a week of our return. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Choose the Queen or King rooms. The private garden is a great bonus.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Choosing #1 hotel in Tripadvisor seemed to be the right option for our 1st holiday in Puerto Princessa. All the reservation went out well. Joy and Aida had carefully taken notes of our arrival schedule, tour booking and room specs.
That was just the beginning, and it got better when it came to our real experience. Reaching Puerto Princessa in the evening, we're picked up by their comfortably chilled van, along with their nice driver. Check-in process went out smoothly. Got a big double bed room, facing to their luscious beautiful garden. In the next morning, when we open our room, we're sweetly greeted by their blooming hibiscus. It's up to us to enjoy our breakfast in the middle of the garden or just lazily swing on our hammock.Those were just right for holidays.
What I like more is Hibiscus' location. Quiet enough as our hidden sanctuary, but still managable to walk to our favorite restaurants (e.g: Balinsasayaw, Kalui, Kinabuch & Haim Chicken Inato...will submit review separately).
The tours they reserved for us were also amazing. Comfortable car, punctual pick-up (although we have to wait for other guests....but what can you say, they're on holiday as well!), passionate tour leader, good food.
In short, if you're looking for a 'hassle-free' vacation, it is there.

Room Tip: Room in the end of the corridor is more queit
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple